hurst shifter rebuild

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i am workin on rebuildin my hurst shifter. got it torn apart and blasted now ready for paint and reassemble. i think i have it documented pretty good to get it back together but is there anything like a diagram or picture to help get it goin again?

and the trans is currently stuck in 3rd. havent tried to much after i pulled the shifter but with it in there she wouldnt come outta 3rd. im thinkin it just needs adjusted correctly. my question is are there any bushings or anything that go on the rod ends? they seemed floppy and was kinda hard to adjust so it seemed like i was missing something. i had it just the bare rod in the empty hole and a washer and the cotter pin type thing so it wouldnt come apart. maby i just need to learn how to adjust it better lol. any hints for that lol? thanks guys

If it's an original equipment Hurst shifter I don't think there would be any bushings on the linkage rods. Think the aftermarket shifters had them. For the 3rd gear problem, check to be sure the other shifter arms are in in neutral positions. If they're off by a bit they can cause another arm to jam. You could also try using an end wrench or channel locks or similar on the lever to move it. If you have to, you can probably unstick it by removing the cover & messing with insides.

ok i think its original equiptment but i dont think that would matter lol. i think i explained it wrong. on the trans the levers with the holes in them. do anything go in the holes other then the bare rod? then same on the butt end. i guess that would be different from shifter to shifter. i think i will try your idea and mess with the levers and get it in neutral so it can at least warm up lol or push it with out your foot in the clutch lol

o ya which lever is what lol? i think the farthest bottom one is reverse, and the front one is 3rd 4th and the other is 1st 2nd. is that right?

Your assumption on which shifter tab, is for what gear, is correct.

Regarding the slop on either end of the rods, Brewers sells inserts but pending hole size on the shifter, hole size on the trans tabs, and OD of the shifter rod ends/swivels you may have to drill them out for the inserts to fit. I used them and got rid of the slop. Check out the 2 links below for insert sizes.

Don't know what to tell ya about the stuck 3rd gear. May have to open it up and have a look see. Could be syncro sleeve, syncro stop, syncro keys, broken syncro spring, gear itself??? Make sure the shifter is adjusted properly 1st before you open it up.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LSB

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LSB-R

Oh, forgot to type a few lol's

If the adjustment process drives you to the brink of madness, I'd gladly buzz up that way to assist. I dig 4-speed cars.

ok sweet. i think im gonna pull it out and see about rebuilding it or something. i am still stuck on the shifter rebuild lol. i got it apart, blasted and painted and most of the new fastners together. now i realized i dont know where each spring goes. could anyone take pics of their shifter? or know of an exploded view?

adjusting your shifter put the shift rods on the shifter looking at the side of the shifter you will find a HOLE that when the shifter ( not the trans) is in nuteral once you get the holes lined up take a phillips screw the biggest one that will fit thru the holes push it in the holes to keep it lined up all the shifter leavers will line up that will put the shifter in nuteral once you do that make sure the trand is in netural then take one shift rod at a time and adjust it to them shift leaver on the trans this if done right will put both the shifter and trans in netural good luck

Nice find Doc X

Video cams and the net have removed a lot of the Voodoo from some old, so called, "tough to rebuild" items.

well i got it all put together!! thank you:) if anyone needs their shifter refurbished let me know not quite a rebuild cuz i didnt replace anything but just a pretty good through cleaning. i am thinking the issue is inside the trans tho. i got under the car and couldnt move any lever other then the reverse one then it was just in two gears lol. looks like i will be pulling the trans and possibly rebuilding her. anyone cheaper then brewers to get a rebuild thru? i dont think like autozone would have one lol

-
Back