Hurst shifter rods

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I bought this shifter several months ago. The seller did not have the rods and levers. Brewers only will sell a whole unit, I only need the rods and levers. I have seen several of the rods and levers on the net, but can’t tell if they are the right ones. My shifter’s numbers are not readable. I’m converting a 1965 Barracuda 273 column shift to a A833 4-speed. I’m sure this is the right shifter, but have a look and tell me what you think I need. I have the mount and hardware.
Norm

962DB974-16C3-483A-8A3E-7447A92D891E.jpeg

6CB26286-1199-45B2-ACC1-655271419E92.jpeg

56B4EADC-E140-45A7-81AB-1D1C5B3DA514.jpeg

3CE1BA4C-D186-4327-8701-05D5FD33E63B.jpeg

5F95ED25-381B-40CA-A90B-AA0AC15780AF.jpeg

BCD80FE5-2F5F-4970-9D33-825F81661E11.jpeg

C7136641-D417-4A6B-A407-736A8D5141BD.jpeg

DFEE00A8-0DCE-4CC7-9EB5-875B02B87D52.jpeg

3BC3ECE6-A2C2-4CFC-82FC-9B4085D89975.jpeg

The operating levers that go on the tranny are the same on A-bodies from 1964-74, but I'm pretty sure that rods for 64-65 Hurst shifters were different from the rods used in 1968-1/2 and later Hurst shifters. Brewers has the levers that you need, but they do not show the rods for that year shifter.

The operating levers that go on the tranny are the same on A-bodies from 1964-74, but I'm pretty sure that rods for 64-65 Hurst shifters were different from the rods used in 1968-1/2 and later Hurst shifters. Brewers has the levers that you need, but they do not show the rods for that year shifter.
I went back to Brewer's site and researched just the levers. "Operating Levers (OL-A)" Not listed as an independent item. They are shown in the kit package??? If you know how they are listed, I could sure use that information. The individual that answered my e-mail yesterday, stated that they only offered what I need as a complete assembly kit?
Norm

I would simply contact them. I believe 694speed is likely right. I still remember (from the 70's) that the OEM shifter/ rods out of my 70RR were in fact different from a store -bought Hurst

Question for circlepilot. Is there and alignment hole drilled through the reverse lever?
I can't tell by the picture that you have posted.

I thought so, yes the picture shows it. Now, why would this of been a concern to my original question? That hole is there for rigging purposes, yes?
Norm

I asked the question because when I was putting my original factory Hurst shifter back in my 69 Dart, I found out that the reverse lever was not drilled for the alignment pin. The 1-2 and the 3-4 levers were drilled. The Hurst Comp Plus that I took out had alignment holes in all three levers.
In the picture below I have both shifters side by side. The one on the right is the Factory Hurst shifter. I ran the alignment pin through the holes on the Comp Plus shifter, but you can see where the blue arrow is pointing is where the hole would need to go on the reverse lever of the factory shifter. Right in the middle of the offset bend. Not a good location.
When you look at your 64-65 shifter, you can see that alignment is offset to the side of reverse lever. This looks like how they go around drilling the hole through the middle of the bend in the lever.

100_4503.JPG

If you can use the ´68 and later A-Body shifter mounting plate, you should be able to use ´68 A-Body levers and rods? Right?

If you can use the ´68 and later A-Body shifter mounting plate, you should be able to use ´68 A-Body levers and rods? Right?

I would say maybe.... The big question is, are the levers that are on the 64-65 A-body Hurst shifter the same length and in the same orientation as the ones on the 1968-1/2 and up Hurst shifter. If so then the answer would be yes. Someone would have to mock it up to find out if it will work.
Just to be clear here. I'm talking about the levers on the shifter and not the levers on the transmission.

I would say maybe.... The big question is, are the levers that are on the 64-65 A-body Hurst shifter the same length and in the same orientation as the ones on the 1968-1/2 and up Hurst shifter. If so then the answer would be yes. Someone would have to mock it up to find out if it will work.
Just to be clear here. I'm talking about the levers on the shifter and not the levers on the transmission.

Yes, levers on the shifter.
I was thinking, if you use all the ´68 parts they do work together. Question is will the shifter fit in the hump of your ´65 with the ´68 mounting plate.

Don´t know much about the ´65:s
The #:s of the ´68 SL:s are 6353 54 55 (you may already know that)

Ok I see in your first post the shifter is for a ´65.
Levers do not look to be the same as ´68 shifter.
I can get pick of a ´68 shifter tomorrow if of any use...

The 64-65 shifter mounting plate is a little different than the 68 and later mounting plate. The 64-65 plate mounts the shifter a little more up right instead of the 68 and later being tilted a little forward.
I know this because when removed the aftermarket Hurst Competition Plus shifter from my 69 Dart in order to reinstall the factory shifter. I was unable to get the factory reverse rod to fit. It was too long. I then figured out that the Comp Plus shifter kit that was install in the car way back when it was race came with the 64-65 mounting plate. I then install the correct 68 and up shifter plate and then the reverse rod fit with no problem.
I do not think you will have any tunnel clearance problems. The shifter is only angled differently not relocated in a different position.

Based on your picture. When you install the alignment pin in the shifter the reverse lever is move rearward as compared to the other two levers . That tells me that the reverse rod would have to be longer or the shifter would have to be mounted more up right then the 68 and later shifter. The reverse rod is the most effected rod length by changes in the shifter mounting angle.
This makes some sense. Maybe that shifter will work with the 1968 and later rods and using the 64-65 mounting plate.

I would say reverse rod has to be shorter, not longer, if lever is more rearwards like on the´65 shifter.
(694spd miss type?)

-
Back