Hydraulic Clutch Experience

-

jahsh

Reaction score
Anybody have experience putting in a hydraulic clutch into a early A-body? Looking for options and what people have done.

Any help would be great!

I considered doing this on my 73, but never did it. Keisler makes hydraulic master cylinder conversions for mopars, (you might know them as the tremec 5 spd conversion people ?). I seem to remember it fitting into the oval opening for the clutch rod that normally passes thru the firewall. I think it uses the stock pedal and somehow adapts it to the cylinder. From the clutch master cylinder you would use a hydraulic combination throw out bearing which incorporates the throw out bearing and the slave cylinder. Mc Leod makes these. I'd call or check the web sites at Keisler or McLeod for more info. Hope this helps -

66dartgt said:
I considered doing this on my 73, but never did it. Keisler makes hydraulic master cylinder conversions for mopars, (you might know them as the tremec 5 spd conversion people ?). I seem to remember it fitting into the oval opening for the clutch rod that normally passes thru the firewall. I think it uses the stock pedal and somehow adapts it to the cylinder. From the clutch master cylinder you would use a hydraulic combination throw out bearing which incorporates the throw out bearing and the slave cylinder. Mc Leod makes these. I'd call or check the web sites at Keisler or McLeod for more info. Hope this helps -

Yeah, I've been in contact with both Mcleod and Keisler.

Keisler is currently still working on a new/stronger retainer for the TOB and not sure when they will have their setup ready. So far this is our plan, to wait for them to supply us what we need.

Mcleod told us what to order when we called them. We ordered from Summet and what came was a generic setup that would require major modifaction to the firewall. And even then, it would be unclear if we had the correct pedal geometry. For ~$500 I would expect way a way better set of parts than just a generic setup that would be great for a hot rod. I sent it back.

I used a mid 80's Nissan pickup master and slave setup. It fit pretty easily with just a simple bracket on the bellhousing and a small hole in the firewall. Total cost was about $50.

racingsnake440 said:
I used a mid 80's Nissan pickup master and slave setup. It fit pretty easily with just a simple bracket on the bellhousing and a small hole in the firewall. Total cost was about $50.

The problem is, I can't really use a slave cylinder style setup since I have to get rid of the fork, since this is what is getting in the way of my Doug's headers. Fact is, I found out that the Doug's headers do not fit with the 10.5" clutch, so I need to get rid of the z-bar and clutch fork. I need a setup that uses a Hyd.TOB.

So if the Doug's headers won't fit with a 10.5 clutch, is there a problem using them with a Lakewood bellhousing?

racingsnake440 said:
So if the Doug's headers won't fit with a 10.5 clutch, is there a problem using them with a Lakewood bellhousing?

The problem is with the clutch fork that needs to be used with the my 10.5 inch bellhousing. From what I can tell, this same problem might happen with TTI's as well. On the standard early A-bbody 10" (vs. 10.5") bellhousing and clutch the fork is much smaller and it tighter into the motor. The fork I have to use with the 10.5" clutch is longer and hits the headers.

As for the lakewood bellhousing, is this used with a 10" or 10.5" clutch? I wouldn't worry so much about the bellhousing, but the fork and z-bar.

jahsh said:
The problem is with the clutch fork that needs to be used with the my 10.5 inch bellhousing. From what I can tell, this same problem might happen with TTI's as well. On the standard early A-bbody 10" (vs. 10.5") bellhousing and clutch the fork is much smaller and it tighter into the motor. The fork I have to use with the 10.5" clutch is longer and hits the headers.

Got any pics? There are different forks that will work with the 10.5" bellhousing. I have a shorter one in my 66. I'm also planning on Doug's Headers eventually, so I would like to know what I'm up against.

Another thing that will give you problems is the fact that one of the header tubes will be too close to the Keisler master cylinder. I saw 65 Cuda at Spring Fling that has a Keisler hydraulic setup with Doug's headers. He had to move the master cylinder over to the left about a half inch or so. I'm planning on using a master cylider that mounts up higher so I don't have that problem.

Good luck!

Lee
1966 Barracuda, 340 4 speed

Was this the car?

47b6cf09b3127cce8fcb3114f47500000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

47b6cf09b3127cce8fcb318ef4ef00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

I'm running the TTI's, the Lakewood and the Keisler and I don't know what's going to happen yet but I will keep you informed. Hope the pic helps. Can't remember his name. Saw him at the Fall Fling recently.

daves66valiant said:
Was this the car?

I'm running the TTI's, the Lakewood and the Keisler and I don't know what's going to happen yet but I will keep you informed. Hope the pic helps. Can't remember his name. Saw him at the Fall Fling recently.

That's the one! I have several pictures of this car before he put the hydraulic clutch setup in it. I'm curious to see what yours looks like when it's done.

Lee

His car is a 64 I thought. He had to do alot of modification in order for the Dougs to fit with the Keisler setup and everything else in there. His firewall has been modified some too. When he ordered the Doug's they did not fit. He had to take it down to Doug's shop and they kept it for a week customizing the headers. He said something about the 64' year was somehow slightly different. I don't remember which Bellhousing he had though. Just be aware that the Doug's you can get from Pertronix may not work perfectly and may still need some mods. Not sure if Doug is still offering assistance to customize. Never easy for us Early A guys. :angry4:

I have this guy's card somewhere and planned to talk to him once I get to drop mine in. So far he loves it and I sat in the car. The clutch feels great. He has a stock 360 MP crate engine. Very cool car.

I'll work on getting some pictures of the fork.

Is the master cylinder you are talking about that is mounted up higher the Wilwood?

lilcuda said:
Got any pics? There are different forks that will work with the 10.5" bellhousing. I have a shorter one in my 66. I'm also planning on Doug's Headers eventually, so I would like to know what I'm up against.

Another thing that will give you problems is the fact that one of the header tubes will be too close to the Keisler master cylinder. I saw 65 Cuda at Spring Fling that has a Keisler hydraulic setup with Doug's headers. He had to move the master cylinder over to the left about a half inch or so. I'm planning on using a master cylider that mounts up higher so I don't have that problem.

Good luck!

Lee

jahsh said:
I'll work on getting some pictures of the fork.

Is the master cylinder you are talking about that is mounted up higher the Wilwood?

Yep. Here's a couple of photos. These aren't from my car. I got them from a guy on www.bigblockdart.com.

clutch cyl-ex manifold.jpg

clutch-brake cyls.jpg

-
Back