Hydraulic roller oil?

-
What kind of oil is everyone using with their hydraulic roller cams?

IMO it depends on the rest of the motor.
If it's an older LA converted to roller I would say 10/40 or 20/50
A newer motor like a magnum then around 5-10/30 full synthetic.

I run 5-30 Castrol Syntec in my Magnum because it was machined for synthetic when it was made.

I like to run an oil viscosity that when at temp running down the road my oil pressure is around 5-10 lbs less than the cold start pressures.
This tells me I'm not letting oil bypass, and that I have a good amount of flow through things.
My thoughts on it are a little lower pressures at temp because of a thinner viscosity means the bearings are getting the best flow of oil through them.
I firmly believe flow volume is more important than pressure.

IMO it depends on the rest of the motor.
If it's an older LA converted to roller I would say 10/40 or 20/50
A newer motor like a magnum then around 5-10/30 full synthetic.

I run 5-30 Castrol Syntec in my Magnum because it was machined for synthetic when it was made.

I like to run an oil viscosity that when at temp running down the road my oil pressure is around 5-10 lbs less than the cold start pressures.
This tells me I'm not letting oil bypass, and that I have a good amount of flow through things.
My thoughts on it are a little lower pressures at temp because of a thinner viscosity means the bearings are getting the best flow of oil through them.
I firmly believe flow volume is more important than pressure.

Old LA block.

I run a high quality synthetic in the 5-30 to 10-40 range. Currently using Royal Purple motor oil with Jomar 100% no-bypass oil filters.

Well, it was already a roller block but still an LA engine. Switched to Hughes retro rollers

It depends on the lifters. Some tight tolerance lifters don't use viscosity ratings for oil recommendations, but instead use a centistoke value. Try to find an oil with a centistoke of less than 100, and it should work for most lifters on the market.

I've got an LA roller too. Still putting it together, but I'm going after break in I'm hoping I can run 5 or 10w30 full synthetic. I've got factory spec bearing clearances.

Last edited:
I've got an LA roller too. All putting it together, but I'm going after break in I'm hoping I can run 5 or 10w30 full synthetic. I've got factory spec bearing clearances.

I'm liking the 5- oils.....and even the 0- oils. They get oil to the engine RIGHT NOW when it's cold and that reduces cold startup wear significantly.

It depends on the lifters. Some tight tolerance lifters don't use viscosity ratings for oil recommendations, but instead use a centistoke value. Try to find an oil with a centistoke of less than 100, and it should work for most lifters on the market.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

Some of the newer lifters are designed to use a thin oil.

I know in my testing, before these new lifters were being made with tighter tolerances, more power and RPM came from using a 50 grade oil. Anything less and power started dropping.

With the newer lifters you don't need that grade of oil.

I still hate hydraulic lifters.

The new corvette spec 0 w 40
as said above the 30 or 40 or x depends on bearing clearances
no reason to run a 5W or 10 W anymore most mfg have service bulletins saying that 0W is OK and is better for the reason stated above
The O'riley and other house oils may be made by Valvoline but are they same? check the data sheets
not pushing mobil 1 but do not see a corvette approved oil from Valvoline or Penzoil

Mobil 1™ ESP | Mobil™ Motor Oils

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/u...vette mobil 1 esp formula 0w-40 one pager.pdf

Chevrolet Corvette recommended oil | Mobil™ Motor Oils

as I said elsewhere if your ride needs 0W20 check out the new VW 508

-
Back