Hydraulic throwout bearing modifications

-

farmer013

Reaction score
Has anyone converted a GM hydraulic throwout bearing to a a833?
The mopar ones are about 3 times as much and seems the only difference is the GM shaft is 1.375 and mopars are 1.25, seems like you could just machine up a sleeve? It would be thin, but seems like it should be ok. Anyone tried this yet?

It would need to be extra tight on the trans? A sleeve would be able to move both within the bearing and on the collar, which is no bueno. If there was a way to have it from not moving on the collar I don't see why it would not work?

Those Speedway bearings for $80 make me sad, and almost wish i had a GM just to convert it to 4 speed for 1/4 the price all around. Super T10's are almost free in these parts

You could weld the sleeve to the bearing retainer , try and fit .it first with a extra retainer

I suppose you could also stake it with a countersunk grub screw, the same way the American powertrain spacer is staked to the retainer?

Cylinder Cross Tubes

When gm used the 833. In the 80's. Did they use the retainer in gm size , or is it the large bearing that makes it a issue

I'm thinking just machine it tight to the collar and tight to the I'd of the TO retainer, mabey even make it aluminum and stick it in the freezer before sliding on the TO retainer, most of them are aluminum from what I can gather anyways

If you slip that thin sleeve on with a little red loctite, it's not going anywhere.

Long ago I modified my Ford Toploader use the cheaper GM version of the Howe hyd t-bearing, although in my case it was simply turning down the od of the Toploader retainer.

Back around 2010 they had a problem with the chrome inside of a t-bearing flaking, which caused premature wear on one of the o-rings. They appear to have fixed the problem, I still use the Howe units.

Grant

If you slip that thin sleeve on with a little red loctite, it's not going anywhere.

Long ago I modified my Ford Toploader use the cheaper GM version of the Howe hyd t-bearing, although in my case it was simply turning down the od of the Toploader retainer.

Back around 2010 they had a problem with the chrome inside of a t-bearing flaking, which caused premature wear on one of the o-rings. They appear to have fixed the problem, I still use the Howe units.

Grant

What’s the diameter of a Hemi retainer? Might be larger than the ID of the TO and could be turned down.

#spitballen

Edit 1.420
Thickness of wall about 0.100
What’s that leave?

I suppose it might not match bearing size

Last edited:
Well I gave her a go, and it works pretty damn good!
I machined a piece of tubing down as a sleeve to fit the ID nice and snug of the throwout bearing and a few drops of red lock tight to help hold it in place.
I then machined a lip into a lock collar I got from princess auto/harbour freight, and made a few shims out of some 1/8" alum. (Only wound up using 1 though and it gave me just under a 3/16 gap) I feel like it worked out great and saved me more than a few bucks, seeing as how the mopar ones are starting at $500, seeing as how I'm in canadia , you can double that.

20240903_202942.jpg

20240904_200000.jpg

20240904_200037.jpg

20240904_200108.jpg

20240910_135004.jpg

20240904_195818.jpg

-
Back