I’m guessing this is to slow the Mopars down

-
Well I guess I read that one wrong, but even in Factory Stock Dodge hasn't won a race since the second season. Have they? So why would they bother to take more power away from them? Did the Dodges find more power and are now a threat to the Chevys, I do not know because I haven't followed that class since Dodge got sanctioned out of competition a few years ago.

I posted this on Moparts and Doug posted up the numbers from the finals. Look how close this race was.

Final round you can se here that the Dodge is far more powerful than the Chevy at the old weight and pulley size. Ya right.
Doug

LANE DRIVER CAR NO. CLASS DIAL IN RT 60 FT 330 FT 660 FT 660 MPH 1000 FT ET MPH OV/UN MOV FIRST
Left Mark PawukWIN 5 FSS -- .036 1.185 3.231 4.925 144.91 6.392 7.638 180.89 -- .0308 .0308
Right Stephen Bell 439 FSS -- .053 1.194 3.221 4.923 144.32 6.398 7.651 179.47

Mark P [email protected]

Stephen B. [email protected]

Thanks for the update pittsburghracer, I guess I will have to start paying more attention to that class again.

No.

See: pro camaro

Oops. Pro Stock.
You sure hit that nail on the head. Why doesn't NHRA throw some weight onto the GM cars in Pro Camero(Pro Stock). Maybe that will give the one or two Mustangs running a fighting chance. Also this would encourage a Dodge Challenger or two to show up.

NASCAR did it to MOPAR with the HEMI, then CUBIC INCH LIMIT on HEMIS, SPECIAL BODY CARS & finally with the 355 C.I limit

Last edited:
You sure hit that nail on the head. Why doesn't NHRA throw some weight onto the GM cars in Pro Camero(Pro Stock). Maybe that will give the one or two Mustangs running a fighting chance. Also this would encourage a Dodge Challenger or two to show up.
.... b ecause they are perfectly happy with things the way they are. A few (VERY few) off brand cars, with no chance of winning, an a chevy in the winners circle every time.
Bottom line: more chevy racers, more chevy parts suppliers, more chevy fans, so more chevy wins equals more chevy fans in the seats, and spending money, and higher TV ratings.
Does anybody REALLY think NHRA is a non-profit? Hahahaha.

I don’t know if they can hit the lower weight. It gets pretty expensive removing weight from these Mopars.
But you know a class racer will do it. And NHRA tech has been lax the last few years. (Meaning, the racers can take more chances as to how they remove it..)

The weight reduction part is curious, though. Maybe a typo somewhere along the line?

Whoops, didn't mean the bold font.

NHRA added 50 pounds to the Dodges a few years back, and when they kept winning, NHRA subtracted 50 pounds from the Chevys and Fords. Which put the Dodges with a 100 pound penalty and I think they did something to there super chargers too,to slow them down at that time.

They hit the fords a LOT too. I follow their rules in a Facebook group and it gets crazy.

If Ford and Chevy want to be on top all the time, then run the f'n Hemi®
Lol.
See who can go faster

Man it's like the NHRA is sponsoring the sales of Mopar equipment because in a nutshell their saying.."We must deminish your power capabilities in order for the rest to attempt to try and keep up...

If Ford and Chevy want to be on top all the time, then run the f'n Hemi®
Lol.
See who can go faster
Yep!! Just like the top fuel and funny cars...all running Kieth Black Hemis based off the 426 design...that body might say Ford, Chevy, or Toyota but they all run engines based of a Mopar power plant. I remember a few years ago when John Force was running the Mustang body Ford had developed a "Boss" (Hemi) engine for the funny car guys and he was the first to run it. From what I remember he barely qualified and was out in the 1st round as it broke. I believe that was the last I ever heard of that engine platform...lol

Nhra killed the Mopar prostock cars when they made them all go to EFI and did all the testing on Chevy engines. All the Chevy guys were well tuned by start of the season and Mopars had to try and catch up with curve on tuning then, they put the max RPM limits on. I remember Allen Johnson being pissed!! They got zero info or R&D help from NHRA at all. That was the last straw for him.

This is for the X class.
These cars only have a chassis certified to 7.50.
The rule change was implemented to keep them from going quicker than 7.50.
Chevys got hit this week after Dallas.
My opinion is that it should have been done across the board for every manufacture at the same time.
NHRA will argue each mfg responds differently, that's the reason for delay.

mikedevore, Could you let us know what rule changes NHRA made for the Chevys. I am kind of curious if it was to the same severity as to what NHRA did to the Dodges. A 7.50 chase cert. says to me that a 7.58 class record is legal and a 7.49 needs to be recertified to the next quicker class or slowed down for the certified class they are in. Don't mean to be offensive, just curious.

This is for the X class.
These cars only have a chassis certified to 7.50.
The rule change was implemented to keep them from going quicker than 7.50.
Chevys got hit this week after Dallas.
My opinion is that it should have been done across the board for every manufacture at the same time.
NHRA will argue each mfg responds differently, that's the reason for delay.
Yes they do, some give a lot of money to the nhra and some don’t.

I think there is some confusion because people aren't actually ready the Tech Bulletin completely. It's from the X AND Factory Stock site. The bulletin concerns the FlexJet Factory Stock Showdown cars. NOT the Factory X cars. READ!!

You would think that the owners/drivers of them slower brand x pieces of crap would do everything they could to make their cars faster instead of whining about them awesome Mopars whooping their asses, but I guess whining is easier.

FB_IMG_1698481470693.jpg

Vegas this weekend..... Love it.

-
Back