I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel!!

-

keith9291

Reaction score
I originally bought this 71 Swinger with the intention of fixing what little rust there was. Which was about 2" of rust showing on both lower quarter panels and the passenger side fender has a little dap of rust on the bottom corner. The car also had alot of parking lot dings. The car had 77,*** miles on it, not alot of creature comforts except A/C and power steering and an 8 3/4 rear. Once I got the rust repair under way, 07 or 07 Monster Mopar weekend was just around the corner. While attending the show I stopped by the Hensley booth and spoke with Ken and his wife. They had a kit put together called 318 power pack, it was new intake, carb, Cam, and heads for $1600 bucks. Since my 318 was originally set up for regular gas I figured it would be a great upgrade to go along with my fixed rust. The more I thought about it the more I figured it would be crazy not to do the bottom end at the same time. I contacted Hensley Performance and talked to them about doing the work. After speaking with them a few times via telephone Ken informed me he had a heck of a deal on a 360 street/strip motor that could be had for a good price. I guess to make a long story short I have gone a bit farther than I planned. I ended up taking car down to metal installing US cartools frame connectors changing paint and top color, new drive train, new axles, new 3rd member, 4 wheel disk brakes, I upgraded the front to the larger rotors and rebuilt entire front end and had Phoenix Powder Coating coat alot of the front suspension parts. I changed the power steering box to a later model A body box as well as pitman arm idler arm and steering linkage. Here are some progress pics so far, the last pic is a "open rear" and "rear air" bezels that I had chrome plated and had the graphics applied after wards, the pieces came black with white lettering. I am just waiting on new wheels and tires at this point. I cant believe how far i have come and how close I am to being able to drive it again. Had all the chorme polished and the front headlight bezels rechromed. This was suppose to be the car I used for daily driver as I finished my other Mopars, there is no worse feeling than takin a nice driving car with nothing wrong and tearing it apart.....
DSC00625.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

99d8_1.jpg

99a3_1.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

Looking good. Thanks on the info on the uscartool connectors post I had a wile back. I got me a set and they are very nice. Yours look good installed.

Thanks for sharing those pics, congrats on picking up such a nice daily driver. Did you get a good buy on it? Love the progress, looks fantastic so far. Keep those progress pics coming keeps me inspired to hopefully be able to get back to working on mine. Keep up the great work!!

I did get a pretty good deal on the car when i bought it think I paid around 3000 maybe as much as 3500, then came the insanity and money starting flying out the door faster than it was coming in.

Looking good. Thanks on the info on the uscartool connectors post I had a wile back. I got me a set and they are very nice. Yours look good installed.

No problem, the connectors are top notch. I really gotta check where I put the jack or I will lift up the entire car or side. I had it up the rack and only 3 of the arms were actually underneath the car the 4th was just floating in the air, and the car felt like it was held up on all 4 corners. It was set down and fixed but it really mad a big difference in stiffing up the car.

Keith, that looks fantastic!!! You've definitely been busy! It's really cool to see the work installed.

Thank you for the wonderful powder coated parts! I cant believe how nice they look on the car.

That looks great.....Nice work. What color is that? :cheers:

Its a 1968 color Dodge called it Racing Green Metallic and Plymouth calls it Forest Green Metallic

Hey man great job! Love that color too! I see you have Ford calipers on the rear, did you use a Scare Bird set up? If so, did you do the same for the front? Im interestedd in what youve got there, I hope to follow suit.

Keith, is that GG1 paint?

Yes that is GG1..I like how it looks, both in the sunlight and in the shade.

Hey man great job! Love that color too! I see you have Ford calipers on the rear, did you use a Scare Bird set up? If so, did you do the same for the front? Im interestedd in what youve got there, I hope to follow suit.

On the rear I used a setup sold by a guy over on Moparts.com, his screen name is Dr. Diff. Its a Cobra brake setup and the parking cables fit like a glove. He has a few different configurations and set up he sells. I can find his website and email addy if you would like. On the fronts I used 1973+ upper control arms, then found a set of the caliper mounting brackets that allow for the larger 11.75" rotors.

The light is getting brighter.....Just had the aligment done. Still have to install AC and wire it up to DCC fan controller, tidy up wiring runs, put in front and rear windows, install bumpers and trim. BTW thanks Leanna the powder coating turned out wonderful!!

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

-
Back