I can't believe this!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I got my new flip top gas cap for my 67 Barracuda in the mail today and it was poor shape. It is new as new can be but the chrome is chipping off of it like crazy. I bought it off ebay for $101.00. I have already got word back from the fellow I bought it from that he will give me full refund when he gets the cap back. I was just trying to get one in new condition because the one I have on the car now is not the best of shape. All it needs is rechroming but I don't if anyone will fool with that for under $101 dollars. That's what I was thinking anyways.

Anyone have any ideas?

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01025.jpg

That friggin' sucks! Mine is pitted, so i'll be looking for a new one soon.

I bought chrome wire looms that did the same thing. The chrome finish broke off in pieces if it was bent to position it.

i deal with a lot of motorcycle venders,
when building bikes they send alot of small pieces out to
be chromed all the time.
they usually are looking for enough parts to send in a batch
to justify the expence.
if you ask a shop owner, he might be able to help.

Thats sad!:angry7: I'm just sorry to hear but I have no suggestions. The "why me" thing sucks and Murphys Law is alway lerking around! I do wish you luck and "at least" you get your cash back.

This the sad part. I was at a cruise in two weeks ago and a fellow with a 71 Cuda had a gas cap. It was a NOS Mopar piece still in the old shipping box! He was asking $150 dollars for it but I just didn't have the money. It looked good. Maybe I will see him around the show this weekend. At the time I was not going to do much to my car or I would have got his number but things have changed and I got some things ordered headed my way.

I'm in Augusta - what show is going on this weekend? thanks Dave

I'm in Augusta - what show is going on this weekend? thanks Dave

August 3-5 Electric City Classics 24th Annual Show 'n Shine, open to all cars & trucks pre-1975, at Holiday Inn Express (off I-85 take exit 27 onto Hwy 81, Holiday Inn is beside 50's style McDonalds), Friday free cookout to all reg. participants | info: 864-225-0156, 864-224-1168 | Anderson, SC

The chrome shop here does a cap for around $40.00. The downside is you have to wait about a month and the center section of the cap is shiny (not brushed like the originals), that of course is extra. The people selling these repros talk up the new alloys and the quality of these pieces being made now, but I don`t think anything compares to the original parts. Buying repro parts is a CRAP shoot (pun intended).

Too bad you didn;t get the NOS one or at least his number :sad5: That has happened to me a fair bit, I need to make a point of at least getting phone numbers just in case.

Too bad you didn;t get the NOS one or at least his number :sad5: That has happened to me a fair bit, I need to make a point of at least getting phone numbers just in case.

I will eventually see him again at the shows here in town and all I hope for is he hasn't sold it. I had my cell phone and could have just added with no problem. *kicks self in the butt*

The chrome shop here does a cap for around $40.00. The downside is you have to wait about a month and the center section of the cap is shiny (not brushed like the originals), that of course is extra. The people selling these repros talk up the new alloys and the quality of these pieces being made now, but I don`t think anything compares to the original parts. Buying repro parts is a CRAP shoot (pun intended).

Your right.

I realize that the chrome was peeling off but just the feel of the cap is nothing like the orginals.

-
Back