I didn't know a Dodge Neon could go 145mph

-
...and his family are friends "stormed angrily out of the courtroom",....Really??,...They should be happy he's alive,....My dad would've left me there,....I gave up street racing 25 years ago when i drove three 3 garages w/my 442,...

This happen within 6 miles of me. The problem here in the land of NO and , well, one screwed up, now everybody suffers so no one gets hurt is the drag strips have been closed down over the years because people have complained about the noise (Sometimes after they move into the neigborhood) and the powers that be please them instead of saying to them, "Well, if your stupid enuff to move next to an airport and then complain about airplanes flying overhead, well, I guess you got what you deserve for not doing your homework on the area."

Everybody polled wants one, except not in there backyard or within ear shot of it, which means, 20 miles.

Now that the 5 or 6 drag tracks and 2 out of 3 circle tracks are closed on the Island, where do you think everyone went? Yep, the back streets and interstates (Where this happened, I-495) the industrial parks, Parkways, Hwy.ways, Interstates and yes, even side roads mark 30 mph.

The industry is dying here to a degree, it's really dead, but the hot rodders/racers still exist. With now where to go.

Seeing a drag race is now illeagal! Failure to report one is double trouble. Particapating in one is a triple+ threat since you get multiple tickets and loose the drivers privallage.

Also, cars this fast are common around here. Anybody that has enuff money to be serious, certainly is. There is NO shortage of modified and fast cars here. NON! at all.

This happen within 6 miles of me. The problem here in the land of NO and , well, one screwed up, now everybody suffers so no one gets hurt is the drag strips have been closed down over the years because people have complained about the noise (Sometimes after they move into the neigborhood) and the powers that be please them instead of saying to them, "Well, if your stupid enuff to move next to an airport and then complain about airplanes flying overhead, well, I guess you got what you deserve for not doing your homework on the area."

Everybody polled wants one, except not in there backyard or within ear shot of it, which means, 20 miles.

Now that the 5 or 6 drag tracks and 2 out of 3 circle tracks are closed on the Island, where do you think everyone went? Yep, the back streets and interstates (Where this happened, I-495) the industrial parks, Parkways, Hwy.ways, Interstates and yes, even side roads mark 30 mph.

The industry is dying here to a degree, it's really dead, but the hot rodders/racers still exist. With now where to go.

Seeing a drag race is now illeagal! Failure to report one is double trouble. Particapating in one is a triple+ threat since you get multiple tickets and loose the drivers privallage.

Also, cars this fast are common around here. Anybody that has enuff money to be serious, certainly is. There is NO shortage of modified and fast cars here. NON! at all.

The old Connecticut dragway is 10 miles from here,..Consumer Reports owns It now for testing,...I used to here em on Sundays when I was a wee lad,....Put it my back yard, I won't *****,...can't be any louder than the speedboats with triple 502's coming up the Connecticut river

and this is why long island needs a drag strip. Im tired of driving to atco if I want to rent a track out for the day.

The old Connecticut dragway is 10 miles from here,..Consumer Reports owns It now for testing,...I used to here em on Sundays when I was a wee lad,....Put it my back yard, I won't *****,...can't be any louder than the speedboats with triple 502's coming up the Connecticut river

Oh I so know what those boats sound like! OMG! They shake the freakin air. MAN!
I also have a few well know high performance places arounfd here that have there engines on the dyno. Beileve me, I do not mind that sound. Be it 10 am Saturday or 10 pm thursday, let'er rip. But here'em 8 miles away I do, right through the side of the house.

and this is why long island needs a drag strip. Im tired of driving to atco if I want to rent a track out for the day.

You aint kiddin and I have eyt to rent a track. A few members here do so at Island dragwya in NJ once in awhile. I'm unamused at the prospect of driving an hour to meet them on the west side of this island and then another 1-1/2 hours, tools, crap roads and "Mean eye'd Cops" eye ballin me awaiting a 1 mph infraction so they can do something about it!

Comeon retirement! I'm movin outta here!

Rumble I know exactly what your saying. About 2 hours from me is the oldest running drag strip in the US, Great Lakes Dragway, this place when it was built WAAAy back, was in the middle of a cow pasture I mean it was in the boonies, well as you are well aware, for some reason people have to move in closer and closer, to the point some environmental wack job says HAY this is noise polution and we have to get rid of it, well so far so good they have not suceeded BUT they now have a noise restriction after 10:00 pm I do beleve, races there sometimes went to 12:00 am, so this year I guess they are gonna start earlier, but really it's prolly just a matter of time....Our nation is really getting to the point you won't recognise it as what it used to be.

....There's nothing I love better than a healthy mill running @ full song, but there are times and places for them,....just a-changin of the times I suppose

The Huntsville, AL Dragway has been there over 40 years. One of the fastest 1/8 mi tracks in the SE. The road commisioner (Dale Strong) decided he wanted to get in on the RE boom and develop some lots for cheaply built rtightly packed in houses to sell to poor people. He decided that right next door to the track would be a good place.

So he starts using the excuse of a boom-box noise ordinance to try to silence the track. And they built and sold the houses. You know what came next... The track is in serious decline. Of course the bad economy didn't help but that place was an economic boom when big events were held there. I live 2 miles away and while they did sometimes extend the big events with the really loud "big dawgs" well past midnight I did not mind the noise.

In Alabama the law is first there but these politicians do what they want anyways.

Guess that is why my street is well decorated with burnouts.

Then there was the time when the wife came home and told me my new Caliber governed out around 110 on Rt 11...,give or take a couple of mph's....Oh My Gawd....

The parents should get a kick to the dick for having the nerve to be upset he was held on bail. Losing control means losing control - could have been 4 kids in a car at that pump. Jackass.

My son has a srt4 with a lot of mods, well i told him and told him that this car was not to be dragged on the street that we will take it are local drag strip, well one day me and the miss's were driving home and we got a call from the youngest son screaming at the top of his lungs josh just roll his car,well he had a buddy with him and of course he wanted show off--- you know what happen then, well anyway he did not roll it but he lost control of the car on a curve went into a corn field that was waste high, the car did not roll but went slide ways every witch way it could the corn beat the hell out it, there was not a panel that was not dented they say the only thing that kept it from rolling was because it was lowered so much, both boys came out ok. when the police came i look at the officer and told him that he has to learn so what happens happens,to this day he swears that he has never done it again, and you know i believe him, i truly believe that the thought that he could have lost not only his life but maybe his buddy tought him a lesson.he got very lucky

We've all been there my friend,...and if we're lucky we learn from our mistakes,...Glad your boy did okay...A MoPar is a terrible thing to waste...

-
Back