I Didn't Want To Do It ...

-

CudaChick1968

Leanna ~ The Mistress of Metal
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
... but recent developments over the last few weeks have forced my hand.

I will be charging a nonrefundable deposit on all new work from this point forward. This has been a published company policy on my website since the shop opened in 2007 ... but it has not been strictly enforced. It will be now.

Several finished jobs are stacking up. Payment for those jobs is unfortunately NOT. It may come as a surprise to some, but small businesses cannot operate effectively without working capital to cover costs, materials and utilities. Contrary to popular belief, business owners are not rich, well off, or in some cases, able to even pay our own bills. I truly hate writing posts like this and find it sad that I even have to. My emails and calls are being ignored and I have no other alternative.

Premium Powder **** doesn't happen without full cooperation from both parties. This may seem harsh; but how would you feel if your boss didn't pay you for three, five, six weeks ... or longer??? Your own utility providers, grocery stores and suppliers will not take an I.O.U. until you have the money to pay them. Neither will mine.

This is also a gentle reminder about the other company policy which indicates that if a customer hasn't paid my invoice within thirty (30) days of its presentation, I will put your parts up for sale without any further notice or compensation to you. I've been forced to sell finished parts only four times in over 9 years and, in the grand scheme of business, consider myself lucky in that regard. But when several slow- or non-paying customers gang up in a very short period of time like it has just this month (six!!!), it puts a very serious damper on continued business operations. And eating.

Plain and simple, if you can't afford the work you commission, hold off until you can. I cannot and will not finance your project for you and am not The First National Bank Of Leanna.

To those FABO members who have finished work here and are awaiting its return, please pay your bill. All of you received the best service I can offer as well as a DISCOUNT for being Gold members (5%) or in thanks for your U.S. military service (15%). I despise doing so because custom work should go on the vehicle it's commissioned for, but if you cannot or will not pay for it, then I will be forced to advertise it for sale to someone who will. One set of custom Mickey Thompson valve covers has already been sold this week and there may be other cool stuff offered up shortly as well. Such drastic action makes me ill, it really does; but I have my own bills to pay and powders to buy for other jobs still in line, and do not have the luxury of waiting indefinitely.

Some of you may have seen a similar post from me on FaceBook last week. Over forty supportive comments resulted that were all sincerely appreciated but really do me no good in keeping my shop operating.

Thanks for taking a moment to read this and understand where I'm coming from. Please take care of your obligations or hire someone else to do your powder coating work.

Last edited:
If I win those 273 Valve covers, I will have you do your magic on them, Cash up front! Hang in there. Even A holes drive Mopars!

Sorry to read Leanna, shoot me a pm, I would probably be interested in buying some of the non paying product
Hoping for the best for you.

All business in this economy are at risk. Ours is as well, I tell our people that the accounts will WANT to pay us-but cash flow is low all over and as bad as folks want to pay you (friend or no) if there is no money nobody gets paid. We are watching our receivables with a microscope to make sure we don't get bit. Your post is totally acceptable and to be expected! (maybe sooner from the tone of it)
Best of luck with it powder queen---------DR-------:)

... but recent developments over the last few weeks have forced my hand.

I will be charging a nonrefundable deposit on all new work from this point forward. This has been a published company policy on my website since the shop opened in 2007 ... but it has not been strictly enforced. It will be now.

Several finished jobs are stacking up. Payment for those jobs is unfortunately NOT. It may come as a surprise to some, but small businesses cannot operate effectively without working capital to cover costs, materials and utilities. Contrary to popular belief, business owners are not rich, well off, or in some cases, able to even pay our own bills. I truly hate writing posts like this and find it sad that I even have to. My emails and calls are being ignored and I have no other alternative.

Premium Powder **** doesn't happen without full cooperation from both parties. This may seem harsh; but how would you feel if your boss didn't pay you for three, five, six weeks ... or longer??? Your own utility providers, grocery stores and suppliers will not take an I.O.U. until you have the money to pay them. Neither will mine.

This is also a gentle reminder about the other company policy which indicates that if a customer hasn't paid my invoice within thirty (30) days of its presentation, I will put your parts up for sale without any further notice or compensation to you. I've been forced to sell finished parts only four times in over 9 years and, in the grand scheme of business, consider myself lucky in that regard. But when several slow- or non-paying customers gang up in a very short period of time like it has just this month (six!!!), it puts a very serious damper on continued business operations. And eating.

Plain and simple, if you can't afford the work you commission, hold off until you can. I cannot and will not finance your project for you and am not The First National Bank Of Leanna.

To those FABO members who have finished work here and are awaiting its return, please pay your bill. All of you received the best service I can offer as well as a DISCOUNT for being Gold members (5%) or in thanks for your U.S. military service (15%). I despise doing so because custom work should go on the vehicle it's commissioned for, but if you cannot or will not pay for it, then I will be forced to advertise it for sale to someone who will. One set of custom Mickey Thompson valve covers has already been sold this week and there may be other cool stuff offered up shortly as well. Such drastic action makes me ill, it really does; but I have my own bills to pay and powders to buy for other jobs still in line, and do not have the luxury of waiting indefinitely.

Some of you may have seen a similar post from me on FaceBook last week. Over forty supportive comments resulted that were all sincerely appreciated but really do me no good in keeping my shop operating.

Thanks for taking a moment to read this and understand where I'm coming from. Please take care of your obligations or hire someone else to do your powder coating work.
Which is why I'm saving up. I don't order or schedule work unless I have the funds upfront to pay. That's ridiculous. Hope they pay up, if not, don't feel bad selling it. 30 days is more than plenty. Hope it works out, good luck

Perfectly understandable.
I'm the same as dukeboy_318, I don't do anything on my '69 Dart build unless the cash is already there to pay for it. That's why it's been an 8-year project so far!
BTW, couple of emails sent your way yesterday and earlier today.

Thank you, but I have a Garage Album on here already. If people want to see it, it's easy to find.
I think what he's suggesting is some public embarrasment for those still owing money to you by posting the awesomeNess of your work they haven't paid for

They know who they are. When their stuff goes up for sale, I'll post pictures of it then with my ad(s). This thread can be ignored just as easily as my emails and phone messages can.

Can't fault you at all. Business is business. You do it cause you like to, but it is also your livelihood. I agree wholeheartedly with your original post.

Behind your policy 100%, there should be no hard feelings across the board, it's SOP everywhere!!! Who wouldn't want to pay for the best in the business?? They must be crazy!!!!!

Sorry to read this Leanna. People sometimes make incorrect assumptions about small business owners.

Hope these members get their a** in gear for you soon!!

I had a powdercoat question that Leanne answered for me. As a business she could have ignored me, but she took the time and helped. She is an asset to the community. I understand times are tough, contrary to the news on the economy. Well times are tough when your doing work and not getting paid. I would at the least have the decency to reply to her emails and communicate. There aren't enough friendly businesses out there as it is. Don't ruin a good one. Rant over.

Gotta do what you gotta do. Buddy has a trans shop. Your car is done you have 3 days to pick it up...then the storage fees start. He had a customer leave a hot rod at his shop for trans work. Never picked it up. Car had fresh paint, new interior, brand new damn near everything. Battery died, his crew started pushing it in and out. Few weeks of this it ended up at his house. 18 months later he did the paper work to obtain a title for an abandoned vehicle. Got the title, sold the car...for the price of the trans. 6 months later previous owner of the car showed up...pissed beyond pissed. If folks can't afford to do something there is a simple solution....DON'T!!!!! Which is the very reason I am going to do what I am doing with the Dart....
Apologies for rambling...

Smart move. Deposits are mandatory now a days. All it takes is a few non payers, and that can put a serious dent in your business. I know that experience first hand. Now to go find what's been left up for grabs.

They know who they are. When their stuff goes up for sale, I'll post pictures of it then with my ad(s). This thread can be ignored just as easily as my emails and phone messages can.

Post up some parts and I'll see what I can use. I have big blocks, small blocks, and I could always use some wall art. Just because....

-
Back