I FINALLY Found Something That Would Clean the White Letters on my Radial T/A Tires!

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
Over the past several years, I have tried Comet, Soft Scrub, Bleach and several products that claimed they would clean the white letters on my tires. Today, almost out of desperation, I tried some Black Magic Bleche-White Tire Cleaner. I got it at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for only $7.50. It worked great. There must be some good acids and other chemicals in it, because there are warnings about not getting it in your eyes or on your skin. Shortly after spraying it on, I could see the dirt dripping off the white letters. I have 205/70/14 BF Goodrich Radial T/As, and nothing has ever cleaned them. The attached picture shows the "Radial T/A" letters clean, and the "BF Goodrich" letters untouched. The picture does not give justice to how well the product worked.
Tire Cleaner.JPG
IMG_7311.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad it worked for you.
As I understand it the current stuff isn't as good as the old bleche wite.
I've been using bleche wite on the avatar car for at least thirty years. It's due for a treatment again.

IMG_20230518_083729.jpg

I have used the same stuff for many many years mid 70s.

Simple Green works good for cleaning tires, white letters, pretty much anything you want to clean

Just use acetone and a scotch-brite pad. The reason acetone works is because the tires contain an anti-oxidant that turns brown when it oxidizes. Doesn’t show much on the black, but is very evident on the white. The anti-oxidant residue is soluble in acetone so it just dissolves it away. The Scotch-brite pad just works it in and scuffs up any dirt attached to the anti-oxidant. Wipe it dry with a a paper towel or rag when done. Depending on how bad it it is, you may need to repeat once or twice.

Before and after with just a few minutes work…

23FA262E-1CB5-4884-B261-EB3539F03F0A.jpeg

3547F0B9-B720-4165-A617-8EC6C176FB7A.jpeg

I use Bleach White with some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

Over the past several years, I have tried Comet, Soft Scrub, Bleach and several products that claimed they would clean the white letters on my tires. Today, almost out of desperation, I tried some Black Magic Bleche-White Tire Cleaner. I got it at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for only $7.50. It worked great. There must be some good acids and other chemicals in it, because there are warnings about not getting it in your eyes or on your skin. Shortly after spraying it on, I could see the dirt dripping off the white letters. I have 205/70/14 BF Goodrich Radial T/As, and nothing has ever cleaned them. The attached picture shows the "Radial T/A" letters clean, and the "BF Goodrich" letters untouched. The picture does not give justice to how well the product worked.View attachment 1716263384View attachment 1716263386
And that doesn't work half as good as it used to from back in the 70's. You must be lucky,your BFG's are just dirty and aren't turning brown. Westley's won't fix that issue.

We used Westley's on the whitewall tires when i worked on HD's. Worked slick.

I've also used PBlaster and it works pretty well.

And that doesn't work half as good as it used to from back in the 70's. You must be lucky,your BFG's are just dirty and aren't turning brown. Westley's won't fix that issue.
They did like everything else reformulated it.
I had a small amount in an old bottle, you better use gloves. The new stuff is no way near as good.
I just used some grease stuff. It us for heavy duty use says caustic on it. Wow it works. When I run out it will be saying tge same thing about that too.
I ran some VP 110 with lead in an old lawn mower. It fixed that carb and fuel system right up. Worked better than Berrymans or Seafoam
Hey I used it off road.

They did like everything else reformulated it.
I had a small amount in an old bottle, you better use gloves. The new stuff is no way near as good.
I just used some grease stuff. It us for heavy duty use says caustic on it. Wow it works. When I run out it will be saying tge same thing about that too.
I ran some VP 110 with lead in an old lawn mower. It fixed that carb and fuel system right up. Worked better than Berrymans or Seafoam
Hey I used it off road.
Heard that Dawn dish washing detergent works wonders too. Main thing is to clean them often. I believe that someone mentioned acetone earlier, I wouldn't use that on paint of any kind, that's what they put in women's finger nail polish removal. Like I said earlier, simple green, it works on pretty much everything and I'm speaking from experience.

-
Back