I finally got it

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
After 2 months of back and forth trying to set it up I finally got my 56 Olds Holiday Super 88 4 door hard top! I was trying to trade off my 53 F-100 for a running or damn close to running 30's-50's car and this guy calls and says I have something you might be interested in. The only problem is that the guy lives on some island in Canada and he is all over the country for work. When he was able to come down I had to goto Vegas for work. He came down Saturday and we made the swap!

I haven't seen the car in the day (he left at 11pm) and it's over at my dads shop. I need to replace the head gasket and rewire some stuff but it starts and runs damn smooth and has 67,000 original miles! 240hp 324 V8, auto, power steering, power brakes, dual exhaust, and it is a delete reverse light car. Plans are to clean it up and make it my daily driver! I may also bag it on all 4 corners just for fun :snakeman:

100_5979.jpg

100_5988.jpg

100_5994.jpg

100_5985.jpg

100_5986.jpg

100_5980.jpg

100_5982.jpg

I know one thing for sure It found a good home
What does bag it mean?

Or you could make it look like this (I love this car!!!!)

For those interested in the car that I post do a (Yahoo, google, etc...) search for "Joanne's Dream"

Also TLC, NGC or Discovery Channel (one of them did, because thats how I found out about the car) followed the whole build of the car and aired it on TV.

Very nice-but the truck was nice too.

So I'm pretty sure I found where the coolant was getting into the oil...

100_6099.jpg

The intake was on finger tight! Someone had the intake off at one point and they reused the steel gaskets and just smeared silicone sealer on them! I ordered a new gasket kit from Speedway motors anyways and went a head and pulled the valley pan and one of the heads so far and found this...

REBUILT!!!!:cheers:

100_6105.jpg

100_6104.jpg

I got one of the heads off, pressure washed it and cleaned the little bit of carbon off the valves. It has new dual springs and new seals! There was a little rust on the top of the rockers and push rods because of the coolant issue and the car had been sitting in a ware house in Canada for 3 years. Al little bit of Evaporust took care of that.

Before I pulled the intake and head I fixed a few vacuum leaks and she purred like a kitten!

I am in a motel in Twin Falls, ID (again) on my way to Vegas for work so I won't be able to work on it until next Tuesday but I am planning on pulling the other head, cleaning it, repainting the top end, putting it all back together, rerouting and replacing all the vacuum lines, fixing some electrical issues, cutting 1 1/2 coils in the front and putting 2"-3" drop blocks in the rear, I have a set of Flowmasters that I may replace the old Blue Tones with then run the exhaust all the way out the back instead of dumping mid car.
I NEED a hood for it pretty bad because the one that is on it is crap! Some dillrod cut out the supports, threw in 40lbs of crap insulation, some spray foam and then tried to make their own inner supports out of some very thin galvanized and used flathead screws to attach them :angry7:
I am also going to replace the dead 30amp generator with a GM alt., replace the stock vacuum wipers with a Newport Engineering unit, and replace the stock points (even though they have been replaced and work just fine) with a Petronix unit just for reliability because this car will be my daily driver when I don't feel like driving the 69 D100 SWB.

Here are all the pics...

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k199/360scamp/1956 Olds/?start=all

I've always liked the late 50's GM cars. I had this '56 Buick special for a couple months. You want to talk about a rusty piece of crap. The rockers and lower fenders were wasted but packed full of plastic. The strange part was the frame was rock solid.
-Jon

-
Back