"I fought the 40 and the ..........I won.........." to the tune of

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
"I fought the law and the law won" LOLOL

I've had this 63 40 HP Johnson out THREE times only to have trouble with it making power or even getting "up there" enough to make any. I was sure it was the carb, so here's "the deal" This is a diagram of a 64 which is not quite correct for this engine

64JOHN40.jpg

The orifice, 82, is simply not there in this engine. There is a 90 degree passage with brass plugs driven in, and that seems to be the trouble as you can not access them physically, other than shooting cleaner through them. Something in that passage is partially plugged. This all feeds into a well in the bottom, not shown, and the bottom of the emulsion tube, 86, sealed to the well with a gasket, 78, feeds metered fuel up to the working area of the carb. So after screwin with this thing until I was ?? red in the face, I found an old 35hp--with an adjustable main jet, and put that bowl and needle onto the top of the 40hp carb. BANG She runs!!!

'60-ish Johnny-Rude 35hp, the float bowl bolts right on

35Rude.jpg

Last edited:
Monday went for a short but enjoyable afternoon ride, very short. I had to think of a way to adjust the high speed jet. I cut and drilled a scrap piece of aluminum that, with the cowling removed--clamps to the high speed needle, and bolted a scrap piece of old 3/8 copper tube to that. I stretched a tie across the aft fittings for the bimini top so that the tube can extend forward. It ended up maybe 2ft behind the seat. So by driving with one hand, I was able to turn and adjust the needle with the other--at speed. It only does "banging on the 30 door" but it is rougher than it looked, kinda choppy. Nevertheless, this is REAL progress. Too bad the summer is already over

At the bottom you can see the fancy power tilt /trim unit I bought for a "great deal" of money. I do not like the way it is designed, but it does work and saves my back.

I have the top "flopped" up front to make exit/ entrance easier. It simply flops up and over depending on which end you want it on. I did not pay much for the (used) top and it's great

Boat is '57 15' Crestliner Voyager

IMG_3039cs.JPG

IMG_3041cs.JPG

IMG_3051cs.JPG

IMG_3059cs.JPG

IMG_3061cs.JPG

My brother has a really nice bass tracker with a 150 on it. At least once a trip the motor would not start when on the lake. He'd have to paddle in or get someone to bring the toon out. His "mechanic" told him one year "Finally nailed it, no more problems.."... then it happened again, first launch of the season... he called the guy and told him, then told the guy to go "F" himself when he suggested bringing it back again.. He went to the library and got the service manual. Half a day later, he had cleaned the injectors and rails, never had a problem since. ..

Big problem for me is testing them in the tank at high throttle settings. I'm going to have to look and find a "test prop" that fits the 40's and maybe cheat and useable on the 35's

Big problem for me is testing them in the tank at high throttle settings. I'm going to have to look and find a "test prop" that fits the 40's and maybe cheat and useable on the 35's

Fair, my brothers problem is that the engine just wouldn't start so rpm wasn't really a factor.

I used to have. '64 version of that engine. Was fantastic the whole time I had it. Only issue I ever had was having to replace the coils because they cracked (like all of them did)

I used to have. '64 version of that engine. Was fantastic the whole time I had it. Only issue I ever had was having to replace the coils because they cracked (like all of them did)
Yup coils is a big issue. I recently got into a BIG fight with an egag seller over his china coils

I was not aware until this year that there was an early "small crank" 40 and the later "big crank." The first year or two the 40 used the same crank/ flywheel taper as the 35's, and they had enough more "pop" that they would shear crank keys. I have one and it needs a flywheel!!! I may not "fix" it as I have another--- long shaft electric shift one I got "free" that seems to have a well maintained power-head and I'll junk it and use the powerhead "elsewhere."

I'm still not convinced this engine on this boat is putting out all it should--but the season here is over, and if I live through the winter I will try agin next summer.

Hope it is cooler and less fire smoke...................

-
Back