I fyou go to a quick lube place be careful , a car came into

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
my fiends garage , people said it had a bad leak after an oil change at a quick lube . Took a look underneath and red oil everywhere , seems they filled the motor with transmission oil ! They drove the car for 2 days like that . Motor must be nice and clean now .
Guess it was quick lube guys first day on the job ?

"Back in the days" when I slung auto parts, I've heard many tales of woe. Filters coming off, wrong filter, same deal, mixing oil and ATF or just forgetting to drain the oil and dumping a fresh change on top of the old oil.

At our old Miramar RADAR shop, we had permission to work on our cars, a rarity on a Navy Station. One of our chiefs, who I-don't-know-HOW-got to be that far, was there one aft. with his then fairly new 67 Chev. He wants to know "how do I change the oil?"

I said, well you jack it up, find the oil plug on the bottom and let all the oil fall out. You got a filter? "yes" OK find the big deep can under there, pull the bolt on the bottom, and be careful or a huge mess.

So---he's got one of the few Chivvys that ever had a drain plug in the trans. Might'a been put there by a rebuilder.

So when he gets done, he's got no oil in the trans, a dry new filter, and about 4 qts old, and 5 qts of new oil all in the same place.

"Hey Del, the car won't move..........."

I needed to get my oil changed and was in a hurry so I stopped at our local one. They upsell the crap there. I had them change the fuel filter, it was the original and really did need it. About 2 months later I have low fuel pressure, hard start and a rough idle. I drain the tank and pull it. I get a new pump and figure I'll replace the filter too. The original factory filter was still there. The pump was ok, but I threw the new one in anyway. I found the receipt with the "new filter charge". Don't let them ever touch your car!!!!

There was more problems than red everywhere.... where was it coming from?
From around the oil filter and a few other places . Just could not believe it
We will see if it comes back next week if there was any other dammage

My older sister bought a 2000something Intrepid and took it to Walmart for an oil/filter change.
She came over after they did it and her car was completely covered in oil underneith and the engine was starting to make noises.
Turned out they never tightened the oil filter and by the time she got to the house it was only held on by 2 or 3 threads!!!

-
Back