I hate it when I do stupid stuff

-
Pop recounts a story of doing a tune up on a flathead Ford. New points, condensor, button, cap, plugs, wires. Got everything buttoned up and went to fire it up. Nothing. What the...!?

So back under the hood he goes. To look down and find that both rotor buttons are laying on the inner fender. The new one and the old one.

Back when I was a teenager I installed new u joints in my driveshaft. I made 3 miles south of town when I heard one hell of a racket from underneath the car. Checking in the rear view mirror I saw my driveshaft rollong down the road. Someone didn't know enough to put the c clips in. The u straps won't do the job by themselves.

i remember my first experience at age 15 working with my friend on his 68 valiant. for some reason we broke most of the wheelstuds on the passenger side while trying to take off his steelies to put on his keystone wheels. little did we know that on the old mopars we had to turn the lug nut right to loosen.we had a pipe we were using as a breaker bar with both of us jumping on it. needless to say it was a good time to convert all the studs over. kids today have it easy, they just sit inside playing video games. at least we knew how to make a homemade breaker bar!

The only way to prevent the ocassional screwup is do nothing. I dont have enough fingers and toes to count my screwups, even when counting only those I have yet to correct. LOL

I know a guy that had a 425hp Chevy engine built,he installed it,fired it up for breakin.Well it didn,t run to long,cause he didn,t put any oil in it?:angry7:?WTF?Dumbass says,for the money he spent you,d think they,d put oil in it?This is why you have guages in your car.If he had been watching them,he could have shut it down.Damage was done,he had it redone.Expensive lesson.:toothy10:

This one will make you guys feel better.Helped a friend put a motor in his Monte Carlo.The engine fired up and everything,got ready to take it for a drive,put it in gear,no reverse.Hmm,put it in drive..nothing.Turned it off looked under the car and guess what?We forgot the damn DRIVESHAFT!:argue:

HAHA, been there and done that too. We put the engine and trans back in my Satellite after sitting a month or so for a engine and trans rebuild.

Bolted them up, put them in, hooked everything up, linkage, cable, cooler lines etc. then lowered the car, started it to break the engine in for 30 min. Went to go for its first drive, put it in gear, Nothing.

HMMM, jack it up, crawl under and look at everything, all seems ok. put it down, try again, nothing, DANG IT, Darn Trans rebuilder. We were going to yank the transmission out, decided just to unbolt everything again and yank both of them out again, when in my mind, the next step was to disconnect the drive line. crawl under to "undo" the driveshaft. OOPPS :munky2::knob:

decided just to unbolt everything again and yank both of them out again, when in my mind, the next step was to disconnect the drive line. crawl under to "undo" the driveshaft. OOPPS [/QUOTE]

yea we all have moments like that..

i was changing a 74 scamp frontend over to a 70 so of course the hood, grille, and bumber needed to be changed.. so i gathered the parts.. took the hood grille, and bumper off.. someone called on the cell when i was about to start putting on the new one so i walked away for 5 or 10 min.. came back and got back to work.. putting on the new hood.. by myself.. struggled for a good 45 min.. finally got it straight and all four bolts in and adjusting done.. man it looks good right???

I PUT BACK ON THE HOOD I JUST TOOK OFF!!!! both were primered simple mistake right.. easy to say.. i was pissed!!!

A friend needed a starter for his old chebby truck and took one off a inboard boat motor :happy10:
That's the day we all learned something :toothy10::toothy10:

What do you think we learned ? :-D

A friend needed a starter for his old chebby truck and took one off a inboard boat motor :happy10:
That's the day we all learned something :toothy10::toothy10:

What do you think we learned ? :-D

Marine engines run in the opposite direction, counterclockwise. :-D

I can't tell you how many times I've forgot a flare nut. :read2: I also had a habit of popping the cap off a spray paint can by whacking the cap on the edge of a bench. I did that just a few months ago on a can of Gunk Engine Cleaner and it broke the spray top off along with the inner tube. 5 bucks shot to sht.

Guy that lived across the street from me had been out all day on a saturday working on his sons old pickup it was raining so hard they used some 2x4s and a blue tarp to make a shelter. They where out there till way after dark. Next morning I looked out the window and they where still at it. That afternoon I thought I would go over and see what they where doing. He told me they tuned it up yesterday and the darn thing will not start now.
I noticed sitting up on the fire wall was the rotor. Asked him if he put a new rotor in and he told me no the old one was fine. He was a little embarrassed when I picked it up and asked him if that was the one he was talking about.

As for me --- the first time I tried to put paneling up I measured where the plug outlet was to be cut out, measured again just to be sure then cut out for the plug only to find out the plug was on the right side and I cut a hole on the left.

Ran plumbing for a new bathroom. Get it all done and find out the shower hot/cold is backwards.. sink is correct. Cut/splice resolder. Shower is fine, sink is backwards. Cut/splice resolder. Sink and shower are backwards. Cut/splice resolder, it's the same again. I ended up reconnecting it the same way as the last one. Fourth time's a charm. Of course, in my cheapness, I had to go to hardware store for couplers three times because I would only buy two at a time lol..

Grant

decided just to unbolt everything again and yank both of them out again, when in my mind, the next step was to disconnect the drive line. crawl under to "undo" the driveshaft. OOPPS

yea we all have moments like that..

i was changing a 74 scamp frontend over to a 70 so of course the hood, grille, and bumber needed to be changed.. so i gathered the parts.. took the hood grille, and bumper off.. someone called on the cell when i was about to start putting on the new one so i walked away for 5 or 10 min.. came back and got back to work.. putting on the new hood.. by myself.. struggled for a good 45 min.. finally got it straight and all four bolts in and adjusting done.. man it looks good right???

I PUT BACK ON THE HOOD I JUST TOOK OFF!!!! both were primered simple mistake right.. easy to say.. i was pissed!!![/QUOTE]

At least you only got as far as the hood.

Marine engines run in the opposite direction, counterclockwise. :-D

I can't tell you how many times I've forgot a flare nut. :read2: I also had a habit of popping the cap off a spray paint can by whacking the cap on the edge of a bench. I did that just a few months ago on a can of Gunk Engine Cleaner and it broke the spray top off along with the inner tube. 5 bucks shot to sht.

Not all of them, i had a 88 Bayliner that needed a starter, had a 3.0, derivitive of the Iron Duke Pontiac moter.

They wanted $230 for a marine starter, i went to NAPA and cross referenced and bough a $30 GM Starter and replaced the seals to sheild it and was good to go.

My moto is I don't have time to do it right just have time to do it over. I have to make a list of things to check befor firing up the car for the first time. Still forget something and just hope it is not too expensive.

-
Back