I hate it when I do stupid stuff

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I installed one head and torqued it down and grabbed the second head gasket. Instead of cutting the bag open with a knife or razor blade I tore the bag open and bent the gasket. when I straightened it out there was a buckle in the fire ring. AAARRRGGGHHH! On the Mancini website and order another gasket! I'm a klutz sometimes. Mike

Don`t feel bad, we all do stupid stuff#-oBut only some will admit to it. Some dumbass I know, resoldered his radiator brackets, tested, painted real nice, went to install, and discovered his brackets were put on backwards](*,)

How about this one.You know the stuff called spray foam in a can.Well they wrap plastic real tight around it with the plastic end that sprays it,well I once snap 3 ends trying to get that dam plastic off.I would of thought once was enough but NOT.Your not alone brouther.

Yep, I found when I get in a hurry to get things done something always goes wrong.

Had a cook on a boat who put dessert ( glass pan ) on the counter top and it vibrated off and broke. Next day, same thing. Next day, same thing.
I mentioned that after the second time why did she try it again ( of course I spoke in the most respectful and polite, non sarcastic manner ).
Her response was, " Hey, ya know how many times I've been married ? Seven ! "

You all make me feel better. I thought I was the only one! LOL Any more dumb stuff?

When first figuring out how to double flare brake lines, it took me forever to get one that didn't leak. After I flared both ends, I realized I forgot to put the threaded part on one end.
I did the one brake line over and over.

late one night, trying to see if a rear end had a "locker" in it... I told my buddy,, "here, you hold that axle, I'll hold this one, now I'll turn the pinion and we'll see if it has a locker..." well, of course with us each holding an axle, the pinion did not rotate freely... so, we got all excited and took the cover off (dana) ... only to find an open carrier...

When first figuring out how to double flare brake lines, it took me forever to get one that didn't leak. After I flared both ends, I realized I forgot to put the threaded part on one end.
I did the one brake line over and over.

Now that I will admit to. Get the perfect flare, look down, and see that I forgot the flare nut.

The last time I was running brake pipe, I got the perfect flare, and then discovered I had the wrong nut. Cut it off, flared it, discovered I forgot the flare nut all together. Cut it off again. Third times a charm. :-D

Now that I will admit to. Get the perfect flare, look down, and see that I forgot the flare nut.

The last time I was running brake pipe, I got the perfect flare, and then discovered I had the wrong nut. Cut it off, flared it, discovered I forgot the flare nut all together. Cut it off again. Third times a charm. :-D

now this makes me laugh! i have done this!!!! dammit!!!!!!!!! oh so frustrating!!

I was out at a buddys place about 25 years ago changing the u joints in the duster. Well we had a couple of left handers and thought hey while the drive shafts out why dont we paint it??? Got lookin around for a spray bomb, found one with an orange lid....thought hey why not..... got the drive shaft half done and realized it was hot pink!! WTF?? At least it was something that went under the car LOL

Forty years back helped a friend with his /6 head. He had it shaved .070 and replaced the micro thin factory gasket with an asbestos ringed one which killed anything gained from the shave. When tightening the head bolts he asked about torque. Spec' called for 70# so I said go around all with torque wrench at 35# then around again to 70#. He went around at 35# then again at 35# because 35 & 35 = 70.

I could write a book on it. Last one was:OK, a bud coming over in the am, to help install the 727, So I go to pull the manual 3 speed out(70 Duster). Laying under the car, I get the z bar off, un-bolt shifter, etc. Then can only get socket and swivel on 3 bolts, guess 1 bolt was missing.
I start prying that tranny from the bellhousing, until I figure something is gonna break. Flashlights, etc. I can see where the missing bolt is not there, I can see the missing bolt in the bellhousing. I take a break, get under the driver's side, feel around up top. Crap!
I was looking at the empty bolt hole to put a 4 speed bolt in, I didn't know that a 70 318 housing was threaded for a 4 speed, also.
Working on the house- turned off the breaker, and started.. some electricians screw up. Yee Haw, that felt good.
727, new change-over from manual, new to me Hurst quarter stik. Smart on my part, I am waiting on help, so I install the shifter and cable first. Then help comes, we wrassle that thing in, and good to go... Not. I hadn't read up, and folded down the tunnel lip... $50 cable.
ETC ETC

I can't run brake pipe without forgetting a flare nut at least once. And you're right: so danged frustrating! :-D

We used to have a saying at a place where I worked, "We do things nice because we do things twice".

Things almost always come out better the second time that you do them... right?:-D

Stuff happens !!!!!!!

Ever forgot the drain plug when doing an oil change ?

I tightened the drain plug on wife's van...............forgot the oil. It still has a piston knock when started cold. Good thing it's a Mopar. I must be getting old. All has happened in the last year. Maybe the beer LOL

i some time leave bleeder open when doing w/c or new lines letting them drip bleed till i'm done then after a pump or two then a big mess. the brake line thing is a given try not to forget but have done it alot

Stuff happens !!!!!!!

Ever forgot the drain plug when doing an oil change ?

Jiffy Lube does. My ex applied for a job. They asked if she could put up with the screaming, and be nice, as it is common.

Ever wonder whey they use suction hose now, like on a inboard boat (can't get to the drain plug?)

I put a transmission in my dakota had to drop the oil filter to get the down pipe out, put it all back but forgot the oil filter, of course when I started it up, there was like 20 people around:banghead: and to this day anytime I'm working on anything some smarta$$ will say don't forget the oil filter:angry7:

Used gasket sealant on my tranny pan gasket:

0822091829.jpg

That was a fun day.

This one will make you guys feel better.Helped a friend put a motor in his Monte Carlo.The engine fired up and everything,got ready to take it for a drive,put it in gear,no reverse.Hmm,put it in drive..nothing.Turned it off looked under the car and guess what?We forgot the damn DRIVESHAFT!:argue:

-
Back