I hate Pepboys!!

-

NJDartman

Reaction score
I remember a day when Pepboys was the place to go for all your automotive needs. Not anymore. I went in there over the weekend to get a particular deep socket I needed for a job. I found the socket ok, but then I decided to pick up new fender covers. I looked everywhere and could not find them so I broke down and asked one of the "kids" where they might be. Here is the exchange between us:
Me: Excuse me, could you tell me where your fender protectors are?
Him: You mean the things you lay over the fenders when you're doing work on the engine?
Me: Yes.
Him: We don't carry them.
Me: (With a befuddled look on my face) What??
Him: Yeah, you'd think we would, but we don't.
Me: Ahhhh, ok, thanks. (walking away scratching my head)

I thought of going to the manager to complain but I figured it wouldn't do any good anyway. Beyond the off chance they actually would listen to me and start carring them, they probably would be some cheap crap from China with lead paint.
Ok, I'm done venting, thanks for listening!

Yeah, what was I thinking! But if you want some crappy things to hang from your rear view mirror, they got a whole isle devoted to that stuff!

I hear ya. But think of it this way.
You know that Pep Boys is closing some stores as part of a cost saving plan?
They closed the one near me.
Now I only have Advance and Auto Zone.
(Dinky)
It can get worse than Pep Boys.
Be thankful you still have one.
It was the only place I could find Marvel in the gallon size.

Yeah, what was I thinking! But if you want some crappy things to hang from your rear view mirror, they got a whole isle devoted to that stuff!

Hey...hey, watch it. I like my fuzzy dice. :-D

I havent hardly delt with Pep Boys in years other than stopping to pick up a headlight or new air freshener. Advanced Auto can get me anything I need for a lower price than Pep Boys can anyway. The people working the parts counter at Advanced seem to know more than the people at the Pep Boys stores around here anyway.

I havent hardly delt with Pep Boys in years other than stopping to pick up a headlight or new air freshener. Advanced Auto can get me anything I need for a lower price than Pep Boys can anyway. The people working the parts counter at Advanced seem to know more than the people at the Pep Boys stores around here anyway.

I agree. My Advance Auto gets parts cheaper than Summit or Jegs, with no discount, including tax!

I had to get fender covers from "CarQuest" with their ugly logo. But the Mopar ones are $25 ea, and theses were $12 ea.

You can get magnetic ones from Summit (with the Summit logo of course) for $9.95. They get a flat rate of $10.95 for shipping and handling so waiting till you need a bunch of stuff is the way to go.

Yea I have the same problem with the PepBoys near me. I only go there if I know exactly what I need Like oil and oil filter. If it is a specific part I go to Napa typically or a local shop. The only thing PepBoys is good for is the 4% i get back towards school through U-Promise

I use to use Autozone alot when they first came to town. They had some older guys working in the store that actually knew what the hell you were talking about without having to look it up on the "computer". But the old guys left, in came the highschool punks, & all of a sudden a civic is the hot car to have. Sheesh! I buy all my parts from advance now. Very good prices, great staff.

I use to use Autozone alot when they first came to town. They had some older guys working in the store that actually knew what the hell you were talking about without having to look it up on the "computer". But the old guys left, in came the highschool punks, & all of a sudden a civic is the hot car to have. Sheesh! I buy all my parts from advance now. Very good prices, great staff.

I won't set foot into an autozone I have had too many parts that i replaced and ended up being bad so i would have to re do it all over again.

Napa is a little higher here but they have the most knowledgeable people in my area. Also a higher % of US made parts.

I discovered a Napa over the weekend a few miles away, I'm gonna check them out. I usually don't get parts from a local place as there isn't that many near me. A friend of mine is lucky though, he lives about 40 miles from me but he has a Napa right down the street and all the people that work the counter are members of his car club! How cool is that? They all have their own muscle cars too, no ricers. (Hmmmm....maybe I'll move.....)

I called first when looking to put 3" inlet flowmasters onto my exhaust. The girl who souded about 15 told me they have 2 1/2" to 3" adapters on the shelf. I had her go see if they had two. She said they do. I got there to find it was a chromed inlet pipe for some Honda intake. I complained to a manager who was also about 15-18 years old, who said, 'yeah, she shouldn't be answering the phone' she just started that week.
Lame!

When I was running an Advance store I had some guys from 'zone stop in and try to get me to come over to them. I told them that there was a reason I don't shop there and it wasn't because I worked @ Advance. They asked me why? and I told them quality. They had the nerve to tell me they didn't care about quality... I couldn't belive it, Ha Ha what a dumb-***. I got out of PepBoys before they started with the toys and crapy "bikes". After almost six years with Advance ( good company to work for) I chose to move on and now I'm a service manager for Expert Tire ( it's a corp. owned and run branch of Bridgestone/Firestone). Now I have the time and money to work on my '68.

I told them that there was a reason I don't shop there and it wasn't because I worked @ Advance. They asked me why? and I told them quality. They had the nerve to tell me they didn't care about quality... I couldn't belive it, Ha Ha what a dumb-***.

Wow!! :angry7:

The chain stores don't have a say in what they carry at the store.I have been trying for a long time to get parts into my store and corporate has vetoed them all. It is very frustrating.

-
Back