I hate this, my car won't run. info inside

-

dano

Evil Handy Man
Reaction score
OK, so a few weeks back my Dart wouldn't start. It's had a problem with foul plugs, so i install new plugs. (FYI, it is a 340, less than 10 miles on it so I havn't had much tune time as i'm working on the car and interior) and no fire, check for spark, and no spark, fish around with the voltmeter, every looks ok. Replaced the coil and got fire, put the old coil on and got fire, summed it up to a corroded terminal on the +12v wire to the coil. The car started, but the my timing light flickered out of time like something was wrong. So I didn't have the time to mess with right then, so I shut it down knowing I had it resolved and needed to time the car and do some tuning. Jump to today, went out, no spark off the coil, did the same, replaced coil, still no spark. I now have +12v to the positive and negative sides of the coil with the key on. I have a Mopar electric ignition conversion and Accel Coil. So I'm gettin the +12v form the Orange box to the Negative side of the coil. Is this right, or is the infamous orange box messed up? The car for a long time used to fire right up and i've never had a problem until now.

I agree,
I was having serious trouble fouling plugs and I thought it was my six pack causing a rich condition. Turns out I didn't have a ground strap from the engine to the frame. Bought a 50 cent ground at the junk yard and it was unbelievable how much better it ran. The plugs never fouled again and my carb troubles were gone.
Rod

Also, make sure you are getting at least 12v at the ignition box. Don't ask me how I know.........

I have an engine ground strap, On the first go around I check for +12v to the box and had it, and had checked the box for ground and it is grounded. Everything worked great for years until the other day, no spark.

Have you checked your pickup coil inside the distibutor for the correct resistance and for shorts the ground?

dano said:
Well, it was the Orange Box, replaced and it fired.

My buddy told me when he had older Mopars, he always used to keep a spare Box in the glovebox, he replaced his 4 times when he had his Valliant. He also found out that if do a 3000 rpm neutral-drop that you can break an 8 1/4 rear ring gear like it was made out of glass. :)

boxes aren't common problem but its always good to keep one handy as a backup. Maybe you should swap to a chrome unit. IMO, not too much of a fan of those Accel coils either.

-
Back