I have an early 8-3/4, need info on

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Ended up with this thing at an auction, looks very freshly rebuilt, and apparently shortened, bracketry and such definitely don't look stock, axle tubes cut and smaller dia one's welded in.
I have never worked on a splined 8-3/4 so I dunno if these are stock or have been changed out for possibly a circle track car or something.
It's only ID is a cast in number on the passenger side of the, pumpkin housing, barely readable. I couldn't make out the 2nd digit, tried a couple of possibilities and figured out it's '57-64.
That number is 1634985.
Definitely looks like an 8-3/4 anyway from the back.
Front loader. Marked in orange junkyard marker near the fill plug, "4.10". Appears to be an open rear.
Has what I call a Ford style yoke, shiny new looking, gold anodized, "spicer" stamping as plain as day.
What would it fit?
I went to an auction today at a closing, 80 year old ford dealer, I had heard they sold our, built auction was listed as a "surplus" sale not "closing" or "retirement".
I wasn't thinking about it other than wondering what it might fit as I walked past it a few times, sold towards the end of the sale, caught my attn because the auctioneer called it off as a "Chrysler " rear end.
I bid once and nobody bid against me..... I'm gonna TRY to post pix, you guys all know how tough that is for me to do....

IMG_20230401_155805099_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230401_155722495_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230401_155742772.jpg

IMG_20230401_155553989.jpg

IMG_20230401_155622533.jpg

IMG_20230401_155710404.jpg

IMG_20230401_155656200_HDR.jpg

Who knows what about this thing?
It ain't staying, that much I know ....
I got there a little late, took me a bit to figure out where they were along in the sale, missed a couple of things I was after, ended up with a bunch I wasn't expecting to, (have to go back tomorrow with my trailer), this was all that would interest anyone here....
I went out there interested just to see what more would sell for than the few things I was really interested in, things like an old Pepsi machine that went for peanuts, as did a Rockwell table saw with a BUNCH of blades and accessories, (was probably early 70s) an on car brake lathe, a Ryobi thickness planer, a brand new looking vertical band saw, a couple of ac machines, an early smoke machine (think emissions testing), all went cheap. If I wasn't so hard hard up for space id have brought some of that stuff home.
Pallets lined the floor with old NOS Ford stuff, a stack of clutch discs and pressure plates of unknown ford fitment went for less than $100, stack was almost armpit high. Brand New in boxes.
About 20-30 new tires, most 5-7 years old. And more.

That's interesting it looks to be set up for a 4 link suspension, with leaf spring sliders?????

BTW you did really good on the photos!

Thanks. So anyone know anything about it? Is the pumpkin able to be used in a different housing? Would it be worth doing so? I have heard about the 741, 642, 489 thing..... Where would this one rank?
If I had to guess I'd say that it may have been set up for a street rod, dirt oval race, something like that.
Who would be able to use it as it sits? What application?

looks like someone shortened a early splined axle type housing .:wtf: the pumpkin would work in other housings

Could be 30 or 35 spline axles.Won't know till you open her up.
I had one out of a 58 Dodge 1/2 ton truck.The pumpkin was a 857 (I think). It had 3.58 gears.30 spline.
Been awhile not sure of the "8" but remember the last 2 were 57.

These rears were used in old tractors in the 50's and 60's . I recall seeing and old Panzer wide track row tractor with a widened one in it . The flanges on the housing end look the same. They used these in many different tractors. The chrysler rears had tapered axles these are splined like a tractor style. They were all 410's in the tractors. Also used in cleat trac style vehicles.. They take a GM joint.

Nd9GcTOmH5SySH1FNm2tv5pZGswQsfAag6dQvokGQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

I knew that some tractors had used them but I've never had to work on one. Interesting. I'd like to sell this one, I'm on a few garden tractor sites as much or more than I am on this one.....

My Dad's late 50's Coronet has an axle that looks like that on the ends, but the mounts on the housing are different

U would have to get the hubs for the axles and the brake assamblies and drums. That’s the old style factory pinion yoke on it. AMC also used them. I think u would have to change the housing ends to use a regular axle.

I could be mistaken here, but it seems I've read all the early casting numbers like that were the same as the 741 center section.

Agree with RustyRR. The older centers with unfamiliar numbers are equivalent to the later 741 case. Not as weak as rumored.
Thanks. I thought I remembered that as correct.

By the time they came out with the 741, 742, 489 the casting numbers are on bottom driver side, this one the numbers are smaller, higher up on the opposite side of the pumpkin casting.
So even if the housing is no good to anybody the center section might be.... That's encouraging

Casting numbers 2070742 (used from 1961-1969) and 1634985 (used from 1957-1964) identify the 1 3/4-inch-diameter 10-spline pinion shaft, and are commonly referred to as the "742" case.

Casting numbers 2070741 (1964-1972) and 1820657 (1957-1964) identify the smaller 1 3/8th-inch-diameter, 10-spline pinion shaft, and are often called the "741" case.

Casting numbers 2881488 and 2881489 were used from 1969 through 1974 and were the only cases used after 1973. This is the most sought-after 8 3/4-inch version, and is called the "489" case. The pinion shaft diameter on these rear ends was 1 7/8 inches, and these pinion shafts were either 10- or 29-spline.

From this website
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/mopar-8-3-4-inch-rear-ends

-
Back