I have joined "that club."

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
The AR club, that is. I have been thinking of building 1 or 2 from so called "80% lowers" But I figured since I have no experience with an AR, I should AT LEAST have one made by someone as a starting point so I know what is "right" shall we say.

For some reason I got a ?? up my azz. Very recently bought an old sporterized Springfield (Armory) 1903, FOUR DIGIT ser. number, and it seems to have been MADE IN 1903 according to the charts. Same guy had a Ruger 10/22 with a Hogue stock and scope, and I bought it too.

The other day I was out at a little gunstore and bought a Ruger 22/45 (don't know why they call it that) in stainless.

Today I bought a Palmento "so called used but like new" AR-15 5.56 from them. NOW ALL I NEED is a range somewhere LOL. There is an "uncontrolled" shooting area up N of Hayden lake, I've been wanting to check that out

This old .30-06 is pretty cool. The bolt has had some work done on it, "machine turned" I guess you call it. Stock is well fitted, someone put some time into that. Front sight was cut off, barrel was very nicely re-crowned. Decent old leather military sling. Also has a Redfield mount, Weaver 330 scope, just like the old days

20231119_095351.jpg

20231119_095359.jpg

20231119_095404.jpg

20231119_095413.jpg

20231217_171954.jpg

Not EXACTLY certain which model the Palmento AR is. They have several different rifles using the same PA-15 "model," and I see no markings on the rifle to specifically identify them. This has a perforated metal front stock, 16" barrel, like this one

5165450254a.jpg

Has a "Don't Tread on ME" muzzle brake, magpull grip and front forearm grip which I already don't care fore. Already got one of my small scopes rigged, but I may need a riser for it

Last edited:
Just stop.......................

I need to get out of Commiefornia... Can't own an AR... No magazines with more than ten rounds.. Our "Gun Rooster" keeps getting shorter...

All the local ranges are private & not accepting new members... Back in the 70's-90's I use to be able to shoot targets on government land, these days that's a great way to get locked up...

The US Supreme Court declares laws unconstitutional and immediately the state adopts another law that we all know is unconstitutional but if you violate it you still get arrested... To fight it would require much deep pockets than I have....

If I could afford it and lived there, I would leave. I don't see these states turning around ANYTIME soon, and the whole country is in jeopardy in some ways.

I paid 4 bills for the AR, and it's just like new. I didn't realize manufactured ones could be had this cheap. Done? I am just about exactly done, LOL.

4 bills for the AR is a good deal. Palmettos are a solid entry level rifle, I've had a few of them and never had an issue. Looks like you either need a scope or some iron sights on it.

4 bills for the AR is a good deal. Palmettos are a solid entry level rifle, I've had a few of them and never had an issue. Looks like you either need a scope or some iron sights on it.
I already have an inexpensive scope mounted. Whatever I use, it needs to have eye correction/ focus (like a scope). Only way I could use iron sights anymore is to learn to shoot left handed.

I'm right there with you, I even need to adjust the diopter focus to make the reticle clear again. Congrats, have fun using it grab yourself a handful of PMAGS for it and you'll be good to go!

Yesterday I bought a Bushnell laser boresighter (about 40 bucks) and here is the "list" of ongoing scope conversions
1...Had earlier obtained cheap scope for the daisy Powerline, the boresighter will not fit as it's .22 and larter
2....Had bought Weaver mount for the factory drilled model 94 30-30, a neighbor GAVE me an old Weaver scope with a chip out of the front objective, but it works
The scope, mount and rifle had never met, and needed NO adjustment to be "roughed in" on the boresighter
3...Recently bought .22 Ruger 10/22, all set up, it was on
4...The recent Springfield '06 --I had removed the scope and mount to read the partially hidden serial number and confirm what it was. Needed almost no adjustment !!
5...The recent AR and cheap 4x32 scope just waltzed right into adjustment.

When things go this easy, I always expect Murphy to show up. Supposed to be wet, rainy, snowy over weekend and next week, and then get colder and more snowy.

I don't know if I will make it to the range, or not

I need to get out of Commiefornia... Can't own an AR... No magazines with more than ten rounds.. Our "Gun Rooster" keeps getting shorter...

All the local ranges are private & not accepting new members... Back in the 70's-90's I use to be able to shoot targets on government land, these days that's a great way to get locked up...

The US Supreme Court declares laws unconstitutional and immediately the state adopts another law that we all know is unconstitutional but if you violate it you still get arrested... To fight it would require much deep pockets than I have....
And the 'Person" who has run California into the ground wants to be president.

Kern

Kern Valley Gun Club $ 45 annually.
Come up for Whiskey Flat Days it's a hoot.

@67Dart273, I LOVE the 30.06. Hard to believe it is over 100 years old. Have you fired it yet?
No and it's snowing today, and gonna do more and get colder this week. Not likely going to happen for awhile.

Last time I fired an 06 was one that belonged to a friend of mine's Dad in about '66-67, and I don't remember if the M1 Garands we fired in Boot camp in 68 were 7.62 NATO or .30-06

Just remember that any bore sighter is just a " get it cloe" device.
Bullets unfortunately do not follow a straight line. More of a corkscrew.
Your optics need to bee of the best quality to get the best results/comfort.
Eye relief, clarity of the reticle, parallax etc...

IL just did the same that Idiot of a Governor
Banned a BUNCH of semi automatics and created a registry for any who have such !

Kern
Kern Valley Gun Club $ 45 annually.
Come up for Whiskey Flat Days it's a hoot.
Thanks for the invite, unfortunately that's about 200 miles one way.... Little further than I care to drive... Hell I could drive half that distance & do some drive by shooting in Oakland.. :rofl:

Just remember that any bore sighter is just a " get it cloe" device.
Bullets unfortunately do not follow a straight line. More of a corkscrew.
Your optics need to bee of the best quality to get the best results/comfort.
Eye relief, clarity of the reticle, parallax etc...
YUP I'm aware. I've been thinking towards better weather, and I'll have to sight in several rifles, as two are unknowns, and two more have recently installed scopes. So I've been looking towards a low cost but effective bench support. I went trolling the thrifts just today, went to the Humane society and paid 10 bucks for a huge floor mike stand. The base must weigh 15lbs. Then I went up to another store and HERE WAS A HOPPE's support for FIVE BUCKS!!! Then I went town to St. Vinny's and paid 5 bucks for this old tripod. "We'll see"

Hoppes_stand.JPG

micbase.JPG

micstand.JPG

Prinz.JPG

restparts.JPG

The upcoming wx this week is gonna be BRUTAL. Low single digits F for A HIGH for next few days, and some below zero F a little bit. There won't be any outdoor shooting, LOL

The beauty of it is, those people with their boots on your necks.... You're paying them to do it by living there!

Cali wants you broke so you can't afford to leave.

-
Back