I jumped the gun!

-

naji408

Reaction score
So I went ahead and bought the components for my small block 408 magnum. I just hope I don't get buyer remorse, but the gentlemen at summit (Frank) was very theral and explained everything right. I basically want at the minimum of 500 hp, and i bought this, and it will be a street driver with it seeing the track maybe twice a year(if that)...

Short block is already put together with 4 bolt main splade. I believe the compression is 10 to 1,

I bought:

COMP Cams Thumpr Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts-CCA-20-601-9
Duration at 050 inch Lift 235 int./249 exh.,
Advertised Duration 291 int./311 exh.
COMP Cams Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters-CCA-8920-16
Crane Gold Race Extruded Rocker Arms-CRN-11759-16
I also have the Air Gap intake, but not sure yet which carburator to run-I have a double pump 600 holley, will that work for the mean time?

What do you guys think? Will I set my goal? Did I do too much or too little?

All help is welcome cause I sure am lost...thank a million guys.

Duration at 050 inch Lift 235 int./249 exh., Advertised Duration 291 int./311 exh. Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.522 int./0.509 exh.

The cam advertise for lift is 522-509 and dur @ 50 is 235-249..... Is that correct? Seems a little small for a 408 stroker jmo but I've never had a stroker so let's see what others say

What heads do you have or plan on buying ? Carb is a bit on the small side .

Contact member OU812 since he has been down this path before. I think he can tell you what this is going to make. And if not, what it will take.

Your gonna need a bigger carb if you want that 408 to perform.I suggest the AED 750dp.Summit now carry,s AED carbs.I have a AED850dp on my 410 and love it.JMO

Contact member OU812 since he has been down this path before. I think he can tell you what this is going to make. And if not, what it will take.

He seems to have a lot of experience at this stuff
Wish I had what he knows.

For a street car that cam will be fine, I have about the same in my 414 and it runs mid 11's and idles like a stock 340. It will want a big carb 800-850 cfm.

-
Back