I like the new layout of the Tech Tips forum!

-
Looks great! If we could add up the years of Mopar expertise here @ FABO I'm sure there are thousands of years of combined experience. Now we have a slick way to organize that info. tmm

I agree the layout is good.

Disagree with all the Electrical links go to a commercial vender. There have been plenty of good electrical tech threads on FABO. Some with knowledgable people who have come to different conclusions than that vender. This raises a couple questions...

Who vettes the merits and decides a thread merits being moved to the archive?
Is the thread then locked?

Is the thread then moved (as had been the case)?
If it could be left in place, then it would still show up in 'search', and whether locked or not, that would be the best.

Yeah, I noticed the new link to it. It has always been at the top, but I think the new layout section will get more visibility from newbies who may need it....

I like the new layout. I think that it is easier to navigate and it helps for me to see all the Tech Tips at a glance.

I agree the layout is good.

Disagree with all the Electrical links go to a commercial vender. There have been plenty of good electrical tech threads on FABO. Some with knowledgable people who have come to different conclusions than that vender. This raises a couple questions...

Who vettes the merits and decides a thread merits being moved to the archive?
Is the thread then locked?

Is the thread then moved (as had been the case)?
If it could be left in place, then it would still show up in 'search', and whether locked or not, that would be the best.

To adress some of this, You are correct there are some great electrical tips as well as other information from the members here. The problem we had deciding what went in there was the fact that the threads that may have addressed similar repairs (yet better) were not exactly "how to's".

Joey wanted only threads or links that addressed the How To fix right from the beginning. A complete write up (with or with out pictures) in the first couple posts. Not a discussion to someones question(s) where you had to read thru the entire thread to come to the conclusion.

With that being said anyone here is welcome to make a How To thread. Step by step instructions, for example the Amp Meter bypass. We will then either keep the link to the Mad Electrical site as well as add yours to that section. The newly created How To thread will have a link to the original thread, thus keeping it in the appropriate forum. I also want to say that I believe the threads are locked to prevent any discussion, arguments or what not. I could be wrong about this and that is something that Joey decides.

If anyone knows of any good write ups that are not in the How To section send me a link to the thread and we will review it and get it put in there.

Hope this explains some.

Actually, it goes back further then that. About 6 months ago, 6pk2goDemon approached me about cleaning up the Tech Archive. She spent a lot of time cleaning up old threads and I made the index page you see at the How To Articles link on top of the page.

This then got pushed to the back burner for awhile until a few days ago when straightlinespeed and I spend a few hours finishing the job.

So, this was a group effort, and I thank them both for their dedication to the site and the hobby.

As far as what links are on the index... I would have preferred to keep all the links to things on the site, but I also felt it was important to keep access to the information. All those links were in threads in the Tech Archive. If you want to make a thread that contains the same information, I would be happy to link to it. But for now it was about keeping the information.

If you would like to submit a How-To article, which I encourage all of you to do, Just write one up. Please write it as a step by step article so someone with little experience can understand what they need to do. Start a thread with the How To, and then send the link to straightlinespeed or 6pk2goDemon. They will help make sure the article is written in the manner we are looking for and send it to me for final approval and listing.

I like the new section and links.

Great idea, and good job everyone!!!

I appreciate your time to answer and the work involved in reorganizing this section. As RustyRatRod points out in the Website Suggestion subforum, "How To" is a bit different than a "Tech Archive". I think that explains were I was coming from. To me (and I think Rusty), Tech Archives would have threads like the one Rani started* where members have contributed to a collective gathering of info. So I agree with Rusty - be best to rename.

*RaniDart's Pulley ID Thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=243269

-
Back