I like to post retarded questions...

-

XakEp

Reaction score
So feel free to make fun of me.

I'm in the middle of trying to sort out a carb issue with the car (1973 Duster) and I'm going to just enjoy the car for this year as it is. However, I'm looking forward to next year, and what mods I'm going to start saving for.

Since I was a little kid, I've always wanted a supercharged (roots style) muscle car. I've tried looking, but I cant find jack for superchargers for old school 318s. I'd just want a small one, not wanting to really make a ton of power.

Ideas on where to look?

Think Dick Landy used to do a blown small block setup. If you're not after big power why not get an Eaton blower off a 3.8 T-bird and use an adaptor plate to a 4 barrel manifold?

XakEp said:
So feel free to make fun of me.

I'm in the middle of trying to sort out a carb issue with the car (1973 Duster) and I'm going to just enjoy the car for this year as it is. However, I'm looking forward to next year, and what mods I'm going to start saving for.

Since I was a little kid, I've always wanted a supercharged (roots style) muscle car. I've tried looking, but I cant find jack for superchargers for old school 318s. I'd just want a small one, not wanting to really make a ton of power.

Ideas on where to look?

racingsnake440 said:
Think Dick Landy used to do a blown small block setup. If you're not after big power why not get an Eaton blower off a 3.8 T-bird and use an adaptor plate to a 4 barrel manifold?

Wow - sounds like a great, simple solution! Where can I get more info?

An Eaton blower is a supercharger - just not sure if it's a roots type or screw

Whats the smallest roots blower? 6-71? I'd like to stay single carb if possible. What about hood clearance?

i have helped my friend build several 3.8's for his super coupe they built them from 90 to i think 96 its a eaton m90 roots type but i really dont think you will have much fun out of one of those blowers. it would be worth your time and money to just buy one for your application

Eaton is a positive displacement..I dont think it's screw type like a whipple or Kenne Bell. You can get (or used to be able to get small displacement blowers from B&M that ran off a single 4bbl. A friend had one on his 302 '84 Mustang. It went 11.60s with it and the right cam and head work. Teh 3.8 Fords can be a PITA. If you want a whole running car, a friend has one for sale for $1500. All built within 2 years, all brand new stuff, upgraded intake, blower, headers, the works. Just lost interest. There's no market for the cars, so you can probably find a whole car cheaper than just a blower.

If a turbo is the game, use 2.
Super chargers that sit on top of the engine block do come in smaller sizes than 6-71. MoPar used to sell them. The 360 issue was 172 and the 318 was a 144 I believe. I no longer have the catologs from yesteryear.

Contact Dick Landy in Cali for intakes for the smaller B&M (Or other) blowers. Actually, now that I think about it, Dick Landy sells the whole set up.
(Now wheres that link for his shop?????)

racingsnake440 Very sorry about that, I sit corrected and with a dunce cap on. I thought turbo, duh!
I saw T-bird and remebered my freinds old turbo coupe with a 4 cyl. and manual trans.

Will do. I mean, I dont know anyone with a blown 318. It would just be something really different, and alot of my friends have chevys and fords, and a blown 318 would really be eye opening to pull up with, heh...

XakEp said:
Whats the smallest roots blower? 6-71? I'd like to stay single carb if possible. What about hood clearance?

The smallest roots blower off of a Detroit Diesel is a 2-53 or 2-71 but the smallest one that was use for performance applications is a 4-71. Here is a link to one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-...ryZ34198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can use the stock end plates for a performance application you have to use aftermarket ones like Weiand or someone.

Chuck

XakEp said:
a blown 318 would really be eye opening to pull up with, heh...

Ear opening as well. I knew a guy with a blower on a 1972 Mach I Mustang. When he pulled up behind you & gunned it it sounded like it wanted to suck you into the engine. I loved it!

A friend of mine had a 71 Challenger with a 6-71 blower with dual carbs on a 340 sticking through the hood. Don't know how much power it made but it was quite streetable and he had a hard time keeping back tires on it! ;)

Another buddy of mine is in the process of putting a pro-charger on the crate 360 in his 69 Dart. This is a centrifugal type blower, not a roots, but the kit came with all the brackets and plumbing and it fits under the hood.

ah superchargers, talk about getting your jollys off haha. Nothing like the whine of a old school roots type blower. I have lots and lots of friends with blowers and man once you get to drive one you dont want to get out.

I have a friend with a 68 Camaro, 454 been bored and stroked to I believe 496, has a 8-71 blower that is (if my memory serves correctly) 10% over driven. When he shifts into 2nd gear, on the street or track, the front end comes up and keeps coming up till he either shifts into 3rd or lets off haha.

There is however a member on here with a procharged 318. Very nice set up, but I can remember his name haha.

It's actually the toothed belt that makes most of the whining noise not the supercharger itself.

Chuck

-
Back