I Met a Former L.A. Factory Employee

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
Yesterday at work , I met a former Los Angeles Assembly Plant employee :happy2: !

At one of the shops I deliver to* , I saw a '69 Dart LH23B9E on their alignment rack . It was , shall we say , pretty yucky ; a work-in-progress .
Of course , first thing I do is check its v.i.n. : 'Cool ! An L.A.-built car!' , I said aloud .
The car's owner was sitting in the customer lounge ; he heard my excited exclamation and came out to see me .
He asked how I knew his car was built in L.A. , to which I replied 'the "E" in the v.i.n. ...'

He then tells me that he worked in the Chrysler L.A. Plant from '69-'71 (until its closure in July '71) , and I about fell-over !
He vividly recalls how on 9th February 1971 , when the Sylamar Earthquake hit ( @0600 HRS) , he was walking through the plant's lot . He saw the plant jumping and bumping about , and he freaked .
When he and his coworkers got inside , they were greeted with cars which had fallen-off the towlines , now laying on their sides all smashed up.

He mentioned that when the closure announcement was issued , that his first stop was General Motors' South Gate Plant (formerly on Tweedy @ Alameda ; itself closing in '82 or '83) , and they weren't hiring .
He eventually ended up at the Lynch Rd Plant for a few years.

It was so immeasurably cool to have met Joe ! I wanted soooo badly to sit with him for hours and just interview him !!
Why can't I meet people like him on my own damned time ???

*= I'm putting a plug here for Lake Elsinore Tire & Auto @ 420 N. Main St / Historical US 395 @ I-15 in Lake Elsinore , Ca.Tel : ORegon-44510 . Old time guys --been there since '71 [and since I-15 was CA 71:iconbigg: ] , family owned and operated .
These guys know how to properly align older vehicles ! I had my Coronet done there a year ago , and the alignment is still superb ! That's a tall order considering the dog **** streets of Riverside County !

-
Back