I miss you guys...

-

dusterglenn

Reaction score
So, about a month and a half ago, I bought a late 80's Jeep YJ(Wrangler)project, and have been working on it rather than my Duster. Looking for info for it, I searched out some Jeep messageboards, hoping there'd be the same level of technical know-how I'd found here.
Not so much. Let's just say, Jeep-guys seem to be better at busting than fixing stuff. And arguing, and name calling, and racking up mega-post counts with pointless posts, you know, all the stuff people hate about messageboards
Long story short, I can't wait to get back to work on the Duster, and spend some quality time here.

I bought a early 80's CJ that had been in a fire once. Way before the internet. That was the biggest PIA I have ever had. Never will I buy a fire vehicle again, and the CJ was single layer steel panels that rusted sitting in the driveway. Still, it was fun to drive and with the top off it is a blast to drive anywhere. I'd get another or a Wrangler if the price was right. I found the most help at the Jeep dealers back then. I might still remember some stuff if you have specific questions. Good luck - I guarantee to will love it when it's done.

Jeeps are cool, have owned many and still have two.
My first was a 80 cj-5 I bought used with low miles at the local jeep dealer in the mid 80's. Ended up running 40" tires on it.
Second was a 1978 cj-7 with a glass body, which I ended up doing a frame off, ex-wife got it in a divorce. It was running a small block mopar and 4-speed, dana 44, 36" tires when it went.
Third was a 77 pickup running on 38"
Forth was a 86 Grand Cherokee.
Fifth was an 89 YJ.
Sixth was a 99 Grand Cherokee which my dad still drives. He borrowed it one day and never gave it back.
Seventh is a 48 cj-2a which I still have and done a complet frame off resto-mod. 33" tires.
Last jeep I drive ever day is a 03 wrangler.

So what do you need to know about jeeps?
Have you checked out the jeepforum.com lots of good info there.

I hit a jeep once, back in 87, was a new Cherokee with a V6, long before they got V8's. Was a very hard hit, semi head on at 70 mph, the lady driver just broke her ankle, today with these air bags she might have been killed. Both our cars got a 5 out of 5 on the police accident report, almost $20,000 the insurance paid off for her Jeep.

i too have been a jeep owner for a brief while having built and installed my own 4.0 litre HOs and i got really bored of it .mopar runs in my veins .ive had 3 XJ cherokees and while they are cool, there is just no subsitute for my mopars. the last cherokee i had i got my duster and 1500 cash for. not a bad deal if you ask me. there is no other forum like FABO. lots of traffic and good tech,great members, and even a thread for worthless posts, LOL here is a pic of my last jeep, and the duster i got for it...

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 105
  • d24.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 77
I scored a pretty good deal on the Jeep. Paid less than I sold my Aspen for. I'm pretty sure the seller thought the automatic trans was toast, but just needed 2 litres of fluid and the kickdown adjusted. Good old torqueflite. Now it shifts better than my Dakota.
The wiring was very iffy too. Lots of black tape and butt connectors. Fog light switch as the "start button", no gauges, flickering headlights, no brakelights or signals, demonically possesed wipers, etc. Lots of work still to do, but at least is "safe" to drive it now.

-
Back