I need a 904 trans build recipe, or a recommendation in DFW

-

UOP

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been doing some searching for the past several weeks for a shop to build my trans, but I'm not having much luck finding someone I'm confident in. It seems that nobody wants to tell me what exactly they'd do to the transmission to make it suitable for my application. I understand that shops get calls everyday with people wasting their time and milking info out of them, but I just want to know what would go in my new transmission. I don't want to spend $$$$ on what I think is a high performance transmission and wind up getting a cheap rebuild with a shift kit, and maybe some hp clutches. I've called several places in my area and they all give me the "we know what we're doing, trust us" line, but that doesn't settle well with me.

I have 2 transmissions that I can use for parts, a 1973 904 and a 1985 A999(currently in car). What I'm expecting from my new trans:

1.) Non lockup
2.) Use the low gearset and clutch pack(pretty sure it's 5 disks) from the 999, plus other parts, whatever is stronger out of the two transmissions
3.) I want it to automatically shift when left in drive at ~5250 rpm during wot.
4.) Forward pattern auto/manual valvebody with the option to be able to start in 2nd gear

Car specs(new combo):

1) 1986 RX7, approx 3000 lbs with me in it
2.) 360 Magnum, 216/224 .506/.506 114, airgap, 650 dp blowthru with a 70mm turbo, ~500 hp (want to run 7.0/11.0 index)
3.) 3.27-3.55 gears (undecided, but leaning towards 3.27)
4.) no stall converter selected yet, thinking ~3000-3200

So, what would it take to build a trans for my application, specifically? A proven recipe is more what I'm looking for. I want to do this ONCE and enjoy it for years to come. It's a SERIOUS PITA to drop my trans, and requires lifting the motor off the mounts to access the tranny bolts, and dropping the rear subframe to remove the driveshaft. It'll take the whole weekend to install just the trans so I want to get it right the first time.

Really, I just want someone who is very knowledgeable in Torquflites to build it for me, preferably in the DFW are so I can use my own cores. A warranty would be nice too if possible. Of course if that doesn't work out then I'll be stuck building it myself, so I'll need a parts list.

Thanks for taking the time......

Try these two people. Let them know what you want, and I'm sure they can tell you what would need to happen.

Greg Ducato at Phoenix Transmissions out in Weatherford. I have not personally used their service but know people who have for their Mopar transmissions.

http://phoenixtrans.com/

Or Mike Miller of Miller Performance in Haltom City. Mike has done a good bit of work for me on my Dart, and knows his Mopar stuff. He was going to build my 904 for me until I changed course and had him install an A-518 OD in the car instead.

Miller Performance Home Page

BTW - That's a mean little Mazda you got there. You hang with any of the local Mopar clubs?

Try these two people. Let them know what you want, and I'm sure they can tell you what would need to happen.

Greg Ducato at Phoenix Transmissions out in Weatherford. I have not personally used their service but know people who have for their Mopar transmissions.

http://phoenixtrans.com/

Or Mike Miller of Miller Performance in Haltom City. Mike has done a good bit of work for me on my Dart, and knows his Mopar stuff. He was going to build my 904 for me until I changed course and had him install an A-518 OD in the car instead.

Miller Performance Home Page

Hey thanks, I appreciate it. :thumrigh:

I looked at Phoenix when I was considering an A500 swap, but couldn't find much feedback on them.

BTW - That's a mean little Mazda you got there. You hang with any of the local Mopar clubs?

The pic in my signature was taken at one of theTexas Muscle Car Club Challenge events at Northstar Dragway. I was racing for Cowtown Mopars but I don't really hang with them. I just started chatting with a member during TnT the Friday before and he invited me to come represent the club.

I'm a board member for the club, but I don't make many of the races since I really don't have anything to race.

You should come hang out with us. :burnout:

Long haul,Mikes Transmissions in Lancaster,Ca.He comes well recommended from the Socal area by some PSCA racers.

-
Back