I need a recommendation please

-

cudamark

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a spot weld cutter and would like to hear any feedback from those of you that have bought them in the past. I see a bunch of them available on E-bay but not sure which way to go. Size? Brand? Arbor and Cutter type? Drill bit type? Etc.
Thanks, Mark

I woould agree with BrianT. Blair is the best I have used. Being able to replace the cutters saves you alot of money. You do want a few spares around though (for the life of me I cannot remember the size of mopar spot welds right now) They tend to break if you have a spot weld that had been placed on the very edge of the sheet metal.

I've got Blairs and the ebay type. Keep in mind, these are an expendable item. You will wear em out so dont get your hopes up about buying one to take with ya to the grave. I have two sizes. 5/16" and some 3/8" stuff. Good luck. An air chisel does come in handy also during disassembly. Just a tip.
Small Block

Blair cutters, 2 sided and some what inexpensive. Ive bought evpensive ones over the years but they just dont seem to hold up. I do autobody for a living and these are the ones I always fall back on.

I use blair rotabroaches when going that route.

The key is NEVER use them dry and no excessive RPM. I've had them last 3 complete cars.

I also know that the HF ones are OK and seem to work pretty well.

I'm looking at getting a spot weld cutter and would like to hear any feedback from those of you that have bought them in the past. I see a bunch of them available on E-bay but not sure which way to go. Size? Brand? Arbor and Cutter type? Drill bit type? Etc.
Thanks, Mark
..................................................................................................
Thanks for the info guys......anyone try one of these?
Spot Weld Cutter - eBay (item 220705495270 end time Dec-09-10 14:04:34 PST)

3 pc COBALT SPOT WELD CUTTER WELDER DRILL BIT SET - eBay (item 230459771633 en

Blairs is what we use they wear through but hey your using a tool to cut through welds + 2 layers of steel

Attachments

• spot weld.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 191
Harbour Freight. look like Eastwood. $5, did 100 holes.

Have to agree. I've bought about 3-4 other styles but the harbour freight one has done most of the holes for me. I bought 2 and haven't even opened the 2nd yet. I've drilled maybe 100 holes and it's still going.

Riddler

Unless you are trying to save a panel, why would you want to use one of those?? My personal opinion is they ALL suck. The S.O.B.'s walk allover the place. I bought mine off of the Snap-on truck. Comes in a complete kit with the punch and several different size cutters and the wrench.

If I am saving a panel I will just use the correct size drill bit for the spotweld that way the holes are ready when its time to reinstall that piece. If it is a panel that will be tossed I just use my old reversable Cut-off tool from the Matco Tool truck with a thin 3M cut-off wheel and grind the top of the spotweld off until you see the first layer of sheetmetal start to roll up. Then tap a body chisel between the panels and Wha-La, Done. In the time it takes you to drill out 1 spotweld I would be thru 3-5 with the cut-off wheel.

Of course time was important to me. I could flag 150 hours in a 40 hour week in a production dealer shop.

Also,
the cut-off wheels are the cheaper "expendable". Those bits are anywhere from $8 on up!

Unless you are trying to save a panel, why would you want to use one of those?? My personal opinion is they ALL suck. The S.O.B.'s walk allover the place. I bought mine off of the Snap-on truck. Comes in a complete kit with the punch and several different size cutters and the wrench.

If I am saving a panel I will just use the correct size drill bit for the spotweld that way the holes are ready when its time to reinstall that piece. If it is a panel that will be tossed I just use my old reversable Cut-off tool from the Matco Tool truck with a thin 3M cut-off wheel and grind the top of the spotweld off until you see the first layer of sheetmetal start to roll up. Then tap a body chisel between the panels and Wha-La, Done. In the time it takes you to drill out 1 spotweld I would be thru 3-5 with the cut-off wheel.

Of course time was important to me. I could flag 150 hours in a 40 hour week in a production dealer shop.

Also,
the cut-off wheels are the cheaper "expendable". Those bits are anywhere from $8 on up!
These are panels that I will be removing from a parts car and then trying to resell. I've used the drill bit/air chisel/torch method in the past but some areas are a pain to do. I figured that a genuine spot weld cutter might make it easier and look like a cleaner job. I have a Harbour Freight close by so I guess I'll give them a try first since they are so inexpensive that I won't be out much if it turns out to be junk. I just hate :angry5: to buy stuff made in China.

I used the Blair "Premium" spotweld cutter and it sucked! I burnt through a 3 pack before I finished 1 quarter panel. Went to napa and bought 1 two-sided similar to the Blair and HF mentioned and it worked perfectly through the rest of the first quarter panel and the entire second.

Blair baby its got the stamp

Attachments

• usa.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 129
I don't know what some of you guys are doing...

I used ONE blair rotabroach bit to take apart almost 3 cars, floorpans, inners, frame rails trunk pans, 1/4ers, tailpanels, the whole deal.

If the bit starts to walk, tilt the drill handle in the direction it's walking and tighten up the tension on your pilot.

If you are throwing the panel being removed away, using a cutter is a waste of time.

I don't know what some of you guys are doing...

I used ONE blair rotabroach bit to take apart almost 3 cars, floorpans, inners, frame rails trunk pans, 1/4ers, tailpanels, the whole deal.

If the bit starts to walk, tilt the drill handle in the direction it's walking and tighten up the tension on your pilot.

I have had the same good results with the Blair rotabroach, especially when you put a nice deep divot on the spot weld with a center punch to keep the bit from walking, use some cutting oil or WD40, and keep the drill speed low. I went through several bits when I was learning how to do it, but now that I take my time the bits last forever.

I loaned my bits to a buddy who didn't listen to my advice and he ruined them all really quick. #-o

Scott

I use blair rotabroaches when going that route.

The key is NEVER use them dry and no excessive RPM. I've had them last 3 complete cars.

I also know that the HF ones are OK and seem to work pretty well.
That's always been my motto.....treat a drill bit like a woman......go slow and well lubicated! :love3:

I had better luck with a Spotle bit in a drill than the cheap Blair style cutters.

-
Back