I need guidance

-

OkieAg

Reaction score
I have a 69 Barracuda with a stock 318. I currently have 2 exhaust problems. First, I'm getting exhaust in the car. I'm assuming I have a leak at one of the manifolds. I can smell it worse when the windows are rolled down. Secondly, the lowest point of my car (scrapes bottom quite often on our lovely Oklahoma roads) is my crossover. I ran over something many years ago that put a hole in the original and replaced it with one that didn't fit because I was in a pinch.

I'm looking for recommendations of improvements to make while fixing these two problems. I have been told headers wouldn't be very helpful for the hassle they bring. Fixing/replacing the manifold and running 2 1/4 duals has been suggested. What do y'all think?

I think you are on the right track with the recommendations made.

You have a stock 318 so I wouldn't bother with headers. With the roads in your area, if you did go with headers, you would need Doug's or TTI to avoid low hanging header tubes. Both Doug's and TTI headers are expensive $500-$700ish.

2 1/4" is fine for a stock 318.

I would pull everything off. Check the manifolds for cracks (visual inspection) and have a new dual system bent (at a local, competent, exhaust shop) and ran all the way out the back.

Have the guy put in a "H" pipe if your budget allows.

Please note……

My recommendation is based on a stock or lightly modified 318 (as mentioned in your post). If you have plans in the future to make significant changes to your engine, your exhaust system needs will also change.

there is probably a hole in the pipe somewhere.jmo

I had the same problem with a 74 dart, carbon monoxide poisoning is no joke and can have hazy at the wheel and slow reaction to offending traffic.

-
Back