I Need help! Rods or piston mix up! NEED HELP!!

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
Alright, long story short. I had my old pistons pressed off of my 440 "LY" rods for another set that didn't pan out. So the old pistons were pressed back on. I recently had my crank, rods, and pistons balanced (entire rotating assembly). I am going to put it all back together now and I don't know which rod goes where. I don't see the rod number cast or stamped any where one them. Can some one help!!! I know the big chamfer the "big end" goes toward the crank but..... Since they have balanced can any rod go in any cylinder as long as they oil correctly? No way, that cant be right. HELP!

The pistons have an F stamped on one side... does that go to the front of the engine?

ohh god, i am freaking out!

I am starting to think my '73 440 will never get back together!

Pistons usually have a notch or something to indicate the front of the engine...also, assuming they were assembled correctly, the notches in the rod that keep the bearing from spinning should point outwards..
As far as what cylinder they go in, if you didnt mark them when you dissassembled, your probably screwed there...
you'll have to try them 2 at a time on the crank and make sure you have the proper side clearances

you should have 4 left and 4 right meaning that the oiling hole on the crank end of the rod points toward the opposite side of the block. the notch or "f" in the piston goes to the front of the block. if you use all new bearings and rod to rod clearance is right, i dont think it would matter which piston goes where.

-
Back