I need help! slant starts but wont run

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
I need a check list
Here is where I am at

I just purchased the Duster with a 225 auto starts right up but wont stay running, the choke is in wide open position. I have tried it closed but its not cold here?

It is getting gas and when it fires no sputter it runs smooth for about 30 seconds then dies and it will then start up again each time..
Help its my new daily driver.
Any ideas????

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Has it been sitting around? Start by changing out the fuel filter.
C

timing? vacum? how many miles are on the motor? i know in small engines when they do that the valves are shot due to when heat makes them "expand" they dont seal up right and die 30 seconds after runing but on large motors that shouldnt effect it that much to shut down

Hi. Almost sounds like your ballast resistor except the engine will usually only run for about 5 seconds. You could try one as they are not expensive. Bobby

Second vote for ballast,but instead of just buying another one make a jumper wire and see if that helps,if so then its the ballast.

i had the same problems.
you have to start by filling a gas can and see if it will run if you hook the fuel pump right to that.
if it does, drop and clean the gas tank. if it still doesnt work change out the lines
if it does not check to see that fuel is getting to the carb. if it isnt check the fuel pump
and finally if it is you need to swap or rebuild your carb. if after all that it still happen time the engine.

note 1: with mine after doing all that it ran for a good while then what would happen is it would run well till it warmed up then it would stall out anytime idle dropped, like at a stop light or stop sign. if this happens it is time to time the engine.

also check and make sure the fuel filter isnt clogged, thats the easiest thing to check and fix and only costs about 5 bucks

good luck

ok
fuel is good I bi passed filter and it pours out no problem,
I hope to get a list to work from so I can continue while you guys are all at work
ballast resistor is first on my list
when the engine runs it runs well and smooth! it has not sat for any extended period of time about 2 months

Thank you VERY much for all the replies..sounds like its prob the ballast resistor and I will replace it with a spare I have.
you guys rock!

It's not the ballast resistor. If it were, the car wouldn't stay running for any seconds after the key is released. Sounds like a faulty carburetor and/or choke. The choke must close completely before a cold-engine start, no matter what the ambient temperature might be, or the engine will either not start or not remain running. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

if you know how, rebuild your carb. the kits are DIRT CHEAP and its an easy job. That will eliminate a large chunk of the what if questions

Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Has it been sitting around? Start by changing out the fuel filter.
C
I agree. I'd start with manually filling the carb float bowl with a primer can and see if it will run longer than without doing that. If it does, I would do a fuel pump volume test.

if you know how, rebuild your carb. the kits are DIRT CHEAP and its an easy job. That will eliminate a large chunk of the what if questions

agree... it sounds like it's running off the accelerator pump or gas that has gotten through some clogged jets, so it only runs for a short time

i think your carb is cloggorated'ed

you can probably pick up a rebuilt carb cheap, if not you need a rebuild kit and a few hours to tear it down, soak it over night, spray out all the small passages with carb cleaner, reassemble, etc

if you do that count how many turns you are using when removing adjuster screws/jets and write that part down. that way when you put it back together you can probably just start it up and go without much need for adjustment, as long as the rebuild kit has all the same sizes

definately a fuel issue. your fuel inlet to the carb has (or should have) a micro filter to the needle and seat, i bet it is clogged.take the top of the carb off to see if there is even fuel in the float bowl.

If all else fails check fuel pick up strainer in the tank if clogged the pump can close it off after a short time of running then pick up for a short while after pump vacuum releases
Just a thought Good Luck

-
Back