I Need Help!!!!!!

-

65barracudadude

Reaction score
I cannot get my doors opened!!!! Both my doors on my ' 65 barracuda are seized. I think they both are locked and I have been putting penatrant on them periodically for 2 months. NOTHING. I've been in there trying to figure it all out but the window track on that side is in the way. Does anybody have any suggestions????

I cannot get my doors opened!!!! Both my doors on my ' 65 barracuda are seized. I think they both are locked and I have been putting penatrant on them periodically for 2 months. NOTHING. I've been in there trying to figure it all out but the window track on that side is in the way. Does anybody have any suggestions????
can you go in through the trunk and pop the back seat up and out?
Maybe then you can roll the windows down try the latch from the inside?

I'm not having issues with getting into the car. I did that right when I got it. I cant get the doors open. Due to a lot of rust and corrosion on the locking mechanism and the latch. I've been coating it all with PB blaster for a few weeks. Still no luck getting them to open. I just went and coated them again and I'll go out in a little while and try again. If I cant get anything to happen I'll try and take some pictures of what I'm dealing with. Thanks.

You may have to take the front fenders loose at the bottoms or take out the rear inner front fender splash and reach up in the jam and take the hinges loose, the hinge bolts are dry and usually easy to take loose, the door will drop off. That way you won't tear up your door., just an Idea.

if you pull the clip off the lock you should be able to pull it out enough that it will turn, or remove it completely. you may have to remove the window or at least get the mechanism off the track so you can roll it (the mechanism) down out of the way.
Good luck.

Are you talking about the key lock? Or the actual door striker latch? A pic would clear it all up.

the actual key lock attaches to the door skin with a spring clip. if you remove the clip you should be able to slide the lock out past the tabs that keep it from rotating in the door when you turn the key. from there just turn the whole lock until it unlocks. go carefully, if the lock is frozen you don't want to do any more damage.

i would go thru trunk lock on the rear! should be able to pop clip off the lock with butterknife thru trunk! if not that is the cheapest and easiest lock to replace NO?

OK Matthew, this is what I would try. Since you have the door panels off, take off the exterior door handle off. Reach in and unbolt it from the door, there are (2) 7/16 bolts holding it on. When you get it out you will notice that it has a bent rod on the end of the button that pushes against a paddle inside the door when you push in the button. Go back outside and stick a wooden dowel or something in through the larger hole where the paddle is and push the paddle in as far as you can by hand, then give the dowel a tap or 2 with a hammer and try to yank on the door and see if it opens. If this doesn't work, and I'm not saying it's going to, I think Vic Storms idea has merit, although the latch assembly will still have the striker captured. My idea is to push the paddle farther than the button would, in hopes that it will free the mechanism by effectively going into uncharted territory and breaking free the latch. Hope this works, and post your progress, Geof

The latches on my 65 were worn out so you had to push beyond what would have been normal. Pushing the button from the outside didn't open them. I had to reach inside the drivers door and work the mechanism by hand while I pushed on the door. Good luck...

-
Back