Int 498/274 adv
Exh 512/286 adv
LSA 113
No cam card
It dialed in at those exact numbers

I got the Hughes 1110 spring kit
Springs good to .550
Retainers, locks.

My research led me to believe that with 512 lift there would not be enough clearance between the top of the valve guide and the retainer.

I put it together, and measured several different places, the were all roughly 20 thou.

I'm close to cranking it soon and don't want to have that question mark gnawing on my brain.

I called Hughes today and yesterday spoke to 2 guys, as I had heard the they had manufactured a retainer to provide enough clearance .
When I said "superseded retainer"
It was crickets

the tech guy was supposed to call me back after lunch. Yeah Right.

What's your experience been There ??

Can someone help me out here ?

Last edited:
There are offset retainers/keeps that give you an additional
050 clearance that I have used years ago.

I would not be comfortable with 020 clearance the way my boys
drive!

Found, after the person at Hughes had NO idea what I was talking about about

Hughes 1110WVK kit: for Magnums

Springs good to .550 lift
Locks
Retainers guide clearance to .540 lift

Next question ,
How much psi is needed in the cylinder
To use an r&r valve spring removal tool ?
Then I can spring into action

You got an on-head valve spring compressor?
You can't have too much pressure cuz if a valve falls into the cylinder, yur pooched. I use the string method, which involves a woven cloth starter rope from a lawnmower. This makes it impossible to drop a valve.

"woven cloth starter rope" ?
Please educate me
He means a rope off of a push lawn mower etc. u can just get the yellow poly rope and slide about 10 feet in thru the spark plug hole. Nake sure to take the rockets off. Thats with the piston down in the hole. Turn the motor over to raise the piston till its up enough to hold the valves shut. like PBR said snack the top of the valve to help loosen the keepers grip on the valve stem. Then go to it. Repete till done. kim

50 pounds of shop air is all you need.

Get the piston to TDC so if you do drop the valve it will hit the piston and not fall out of the guide.

I’ve used rope but I don’t care how clean the rope is I’m not putting that dirty rope in there.

He means a rope off of a push lawn mower etc. u can just get the yellow poly rope and slide about 10 feet in thru the spark plug hole. Nake sure to take the rockets off. Thats with the piston down in the hole. Turn the motor over to raise the piston till its up enough to hold the valves shut. like PBR said snack the top of the valve to help loosen the keepers grip on the valve stem. Then go to it. Repete till done. kim
Thanks, simple and genius

-
Back