I need insurance on my dart. What do you have ?

-

DartThis74

Reaction score
To start off, a little back ground info for you. I have a '74 Dodge Dart it was a daily driver of mine for many years after I restored it. 3 years ago it was t-boned at at intersection by someone texting while driving :-( restoration costs were over $15k and insurance was only going to give me $1800 for the vehicle, I fought it hard and eventually got $7900 and got to keep my car. Fast forward to now, I repaired the car and severally upgraded and now have over $16k into restoring it once again.

I do not want to be put in that situation again and want an agreed value on my car now in case something happens again. I don't want to be restricted on mileage I can drive my car, or at least I want to drive it whenever/wherever I feel like it. It will only be weekend driving now since I have a modern car as daily driver now.

Who on here has insured their vehicle as a classic and has great coverage of it and can drive with not many restrictions? Thanks for any information

Hi,

I have Hagarty coverage on my 71 Charger. 17.5K agreed value on a condition 3 true survivor. This valuation came straight from their value guides. I have it covered for up to 2500 miles a year. There aren't many restrictions other than it can not be a daily driver and must be stored in a locked garage. They will ask about your daily drivers and that each driver in the household have one. They will also ask about all drivers in the household even though you state up and down you will be the only one to drive the car. They will also ask for a few pictures of the car to prevent you claiming it's a condition #1 car when it's really a #3.

You might have a problem trying to get a higher agreed upon value than their value guides show. If they show a value on a 74 Dart completely restored to perfection just as it left the factory at a certain value they may not go over that even if you spent more restoring your car. You might give them a call and discuss it with them.

I have my other vehicles insured thru American Family, so I checked with them for stated value insurance on my 1965 Barracuda Formula S. I had the car looked at before I bought it, and the gentleman who did this for me gave me a document with a stated value of $13,500. American Family accepted his "appraisal" of the vehicle, so I now have full coverage including everything you would want, including towing. There are no limits on mileage or when the car can be driven, and this coverage costs me less than $150 per year. This is much cheaper than Hagerty's rate would have been..

I have Grundy on the duster $30k agreed value..Hegarty wanted 200.00 a year more for the same coverage..

My 66 hemi charger is insured by AAA insurance for agreed value. Real inexpensive, just has to be garaged, no mile limitation. MT

I am confused about these hagarty quotes I see here. I have nine cars Insured with Hagarty, total value $185,000 Dollars. $1,025.00 per year total, unlimited mileage. Full agreed coverage,,,

I just called Grundy's, as I wanted to shop at the annual renewal. $1,648.00,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there was no comparison.

is there any name for insurance packages you have with hagarty ? Like gold,silver,bronze,etc...

No matter who you choose, have a certified appraise done on your car.
Save all recipients that were spent on the car.

My uncle was rear ended in his sweet mint 63 galaxy, insurance said totaled $1500.
He said totaled, great handed them a 30K appraisal, guess what insurance paid out about 15K to fix that car.

I use heacock classic, part or american modern. Great coverage/rates and really no limitation other then not a daily driver and lock garage. I think I have 7 cars and it cost me at the age of 26 791 dollars. Coverage from 7500-30k plus depending on car. They let me set a price I feel comfortable with.

My father was with hagerty for 10 plus years with no issue. When the cars were handed over to me I tried to go through hagerty and they wanted 200 plus per car. Some of there min agreed values were crazy. They said they were that high to protect me as if the car has minor accident it doesn't get totaled.

I was diligent and saved all receipts and created a n excel spreadsheet of all purchases toward my dart. Separated major purchases like engine rebuild, seat upholstery, hood scoop, aftermarket wheels,tires,etc from General things like spray paint, rubber hoses, oil, etc... That's what saved my *** and they increased their value in the end.

is there any name for insurance packages you have with hagarty ? Like gold,silver,bronze,etc...
I don't know of it, I started four years ago with seven, and as the disease grew, so did the insurance needs. I can say I added a 77' Cordoba in mint condition, and it cost 70.00 a year. (7,500 value)The demon valued at 8,500.00 added 60.00 bucks a year.

None. Pleasure use only of course. I told the guy: where the hell am I going to go with nine cars? I have four personal drivers as well. I would have to purchase a gas station just to keep them filled up!

By the end of this year, it will be fourteen done. Then I am thru with it.
Bird watching, or hire cute girls to clean pools, and provide quality control. What a great Idea!

RE: I did notice a few earlier posts, and it is possible the location of the car affects the cost/value greatly. So, I don't wish to mislead anyone. it could be my rates are for my location, not new York or D.C.

I had Hagarty, but they went up and up until they were pushing $300 a year. That may not sound like much, but I switched to Grundy for $180 for the same coverage.

If I were Insuring only one car, I would bargain with them, and tell them you are shopping. That rate is nowhere near what I presently pay. We should all keep in mind these rates are connected to the driving record
of the applicant. If the driver/owner has issues, so will the classic rate.

That is just a suggestion.

I am confused about these hagarty quotes I see here. I have nine cars Insured with Hagarty, total value $185,000 Dollars. $1,025.00 per year total, unlimited mileage. Full agreed coverage,,,

I just called Grundy's, as I wanted to shop at the annual renewal. $1,648.00,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there was no comparison.

Insurance rates go by where you live...

No matter who you choose, have a certified appraise done on your car.
Save all recipients that were spent on the car.

My uncle was rear ended in his sweet mint 63 galaxy, insurance said totaled $1500.
He said totaled, great handed them a 30K appraisal, guess what insurance paid out about 15K to fix that car.

Thats why you get agreed value,it might have an appraisal for 30k but i bet it wasn't insured for that..hense why he only got 15k...

JC Taylor here.

Same here. Been using them since 1977 when I bought my 60 Corvette. Now I have added a 68 GTS and a 70 Cuda and my enclosed trailer. All vehicles on agreed value no mileage restrictions. Locked garage restricted. I'm paying 1200 annually . Worth every penny.

Had Hagerty last year $390 for a 20k agreed value on my 65' Barracuda. This year the rates went to $420 so I shopped around and did some internet searches on reviews (Hagerty, Grundy, J.C.Taylor and Heacock) Heacock had the best rate so I switched. $420 - $252 annually. It was a no brainer, I hadn't heard of Chrome Ins. when I was searching but I have heard they are reasonable as well. Just be certain you insure for AGREED value.

I have Grundy right now on my 71 Scamp with an agreed value of $10K. My current cost is $164 a year for coverage. I'm actually thinking about switching both my daily driver and my Scamp over to AAA though. AAA quoted me a cheaper price on my daily driver for the same coverage as I currently have and also gives an additional discount for multiple vehicles.

I have Grundy right now on my 71 Scamp with an agreed value of $10K. My current cost is $164 a year for coverage. I'm actually thinking about switching both my daily driver and my Scamp over to AAA though. AAA quoted me a cheaper price on my daily driver for the same coverage as I currently have and also gives an additional discount for multiple vehicles.

That's right! 60k agreed value my 66 hemi charger, with discounts 168.00 a year. Just need to be garaged, no mile limitations. MT

-
Back