I need some input on a 1000hp 727 trans

-

mike1965

Reaction score
I need a recipe on what part's I will need for a 1000hp 727 514ci with a PT-106mm turbo , these are the part's I already have .

- Steel billet drum loaded with the bigger piston
- The Ultra Sprag from SMR
- JW trans brake
- PTC 4000 stall
- SMR Super 2 1/4'' solid super band
- SMR Super duty billet strut
- SMR Rebuild kit with there race clutch's
- CSR Carbon fiber shield from Cope racing
- Dip stick for the C/F shield from Cope racing

That's it so far

Here's a link to there site >>> http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id40.html

I am not going to use the trans brake part of the valve body just going to foot brake the car , it's 99% street use and mostly going to the cruz nite's with the wife and will be 5 to 8 psi of boost so it may make 600+ on the street and if I go to the track I will foot brake it I'm not into the racing just go to time trials for fun to see how fast it will go .

I'm a grandpa on the street meaning I do the speed limit or less I need my lic. for work no lic. no toy's lol

Thanks Mike

The one I saw that was rated to 1400 i -think- ... It broke at 1000 like 4 times. So Sorry no good advice just a comment :p

Call Paul at T.C.S. in Langley, B.C. He's involved in a Pro Mod car and the owner of the company runs a BA/A Pontiac, with a pro-stock motor(about 1400 hp) and last time I heard a 904 full of the inards they build. Held the BA/A record at one time (6.9secs at about 200MPH).
Website www.tcsproducts.com and the 800 number is 1-800-960-1177

Call TCS Products in Langley BC they run a 1400hp prostock car and know how to get it done right .

I agree I had bad experience with SMR...still am having one with the replacement one. :wack: To far away, his schedule wasn't my schedule and the cost to ship back and forth trying to fix my issues made the whole experience terrible and ridiculously expensive. I'm still not happy with my transmission but I'm in too deep to do anything about it except suffer. Try someone local or someone that has been suggested here other than them IMO.

Mop

I would use a 300M shaft, tranny shield, install an antirotation device or install a shorty kit. Because the 727case is so long the torque of the engine can crack the case especially at the hit. Be prepared for regular maintainance. Fun ride, go get um

With that much power I hope you plan on elephant ears and a mid plate would be real good too. I agree with 383scamman on upgrading the input shaft. IMO you need the best of everything you can buy for it. SMR or whoever you decide to go with should be able to give you a list of what you need if you tell them it's going behind a 1000 hp engine. My thought has always been that if your engine is 1000 hp build the trans for 1200+. With a 727 that means all the best parts, the deepest pan you can find, and the biggest baddest cooler you can squeeze in

BTW: your link don't work

With that much power I hope you plan on elephant ears and a mid plate would be real good too. I agree with 383scamman on upgrading the input shaft. IMO you need the best of everything you can buy for it. SMR or whoever you decide to go with should be able to give you a list of what you need if you tell them it's going behind a 1000 hp engine. My thought has always been that if your engine is 1000 hp build the trans for 1200+. With a 727 that means all the best parts, the deepest pan you can find, and the biggest baddest cooler you can squeeze in

LOL It works know

Had elephant ears now has a Mancini 1 piece Motor plate and mid plate , here's some pix

install a power glide and be done with it. the 727 will die the first pass you put on it.
I had a 727 with all the good parts. it was a joke. made one run and it was done.
I have been running a JW glide for ten years now with just minor repairs after the end of each season.

I have a 1976 727 core and want to know is the 1976 core good one to start with to build up all the other tranny's I have are a 1968 - 69 and a 70

The 76 is the only stock core I have all the other one's or built and working tranny's

I am not going to use the trans brake part of the valve body just going to foot brake the car , it's 99% street use and mostly going to the cruz nite's with the wife and will be 5 to 8 psi of boost so it may make 600+ on the street and if I go to the track I will foot brake it I'm not into the racing just go to time trials for fun to see how fast it will go .

I'm a grandpa on the street meaning I do the speed limit or less I need my lic. for work no lic. no toy's lol

install a power glide and be done with it. the 727 will die the first pass you put on it.
I had a 727 with all the good parts. it was a joke. made one run and it was done.
I have been running a JW glide for ten years now with just minor repairs after the end of each season.

Seen high dollar power glides bust at the hit also.

I have a 1976 727 core and want to know is the 1976 core good one to start with to build up all the other tranny's I have are a 1968 - 69 and a 70

The 76 is the only stock core I have all the other one's or built and working tranny's

The 76 trans has the wider front support bushing but it'll most likely only have 3 pinion planetaries and they changed the spline angle on the output shaft in 76 (and again in 91) so you need a 76 to 90 4 pinion planetary to upgrade. 600 hp is a huge diff to 1000 hp so you should be able to build it to take that no problem.

BTW: nice work

The 76 trans they changed the spline angle on the output shaft in 76 (and again in 91) so you need a 76 to 90 4 pinion planetary to upgrade.

Is this 76 a good thing or a bad thing , I can get a 73 or 74 core maybe I know a guy who has a few I would have to go trru the pile to see if there is on there.

One another note I pulled the pump out of my 1970 727 that was in the car and I think that someone swapped the pump support out for the wider 71 and up if I'm rite please correct me if I'm wrong .

Here's some pix

Thanks Mike

the 76 is ok. you'll want to put in the pre 71 kickdown piston and springs. replace the planets with the 4 gear ones. replace the 3 clutch drums with the 4 ones and use a special cut pressure plate in the front drum to get an extra disc and steel in. replace any drum spacer that is plastic with the steel ones. use the wide end of the clutch clearances. use all the release springs in the front drum, 12 if i recall correctly. use any kickdown lever from 4.0-5.0. remove the governor weights.

the 76 is ok. you'll want to put in the pre 71 kickdown piston and springs. replace the planets with the 4 gear ones. replace the 3 clutch drums with the 4 ones and use a special cut pressure plate in the front drum to get an extra disc and steel in. replace any drum spacer that is plastic with the steel ones. use the wide end of the clutch clearances. use all the release springs in the front drum, 12 if i recall correctly. use any kickdown lever from 4.0-5.0. remove the governor weights.

Thanks Bob , I already have these parts for the build up

- Steel billet drum loaded with the bigger piston
- The Ultra Sprag from SMR
- JW trans brake
- PTC 4000 stall
- SMR Super 2 1/4'' solid super band
- SMR Super duty billet strut
- SMR Rebuild kit with there race clutch's
- CSR Carbon fiber shield from Cope racing
- Dip stick for the C/F shield from Cope racing

That does look like the wide 71 and newer front clutch support. You can tell real easy by measuring the area where the bushing rides. If it's the wide support it'll measure over 1" wide. If less than 1" it's the narrow support.

I agree with Bob on what he recommended with 1 exception, the kickdown lever. Most aftermarket valve bodies have a specific band lever and that's what you need to use. It may be a 5.0, it may be a 3.8, the instructions with the VB will tell what to use. I'd replace all the stock servo's with billet servo's too.

In my opinion, spend the extra coin for a used Lenco if you're making that kind of power. Torqueflights are great for stock and mild builds, but have design shortcomings that can be expensive and dangerous with high hp builds. If you're stuck on using a stock 3 speed type automatic, get a mid-plate adapter and run a th400.

That does look like the wide 71 and newer front clutch support. You can tell real easy by measuring the area where the bushing rides. If it's the wide support it'll measure over 1" wide. If less than 1" it's the narrow support.

I agree with Bob on what he recommended with 1 exception, the kickdown lever. Most aftermarket valve bodies have a specific band lever and that's what you need to use. It may be a 5.0, it may be a 3.8, the instructions with the VB will tell what to use. I'd replace all the stock servo's with billet servo's too.

Thanks Fishy , where do I measure from do yo have a pic that would show me.

Mike

Thanks Fishy , where do I measure from do yo have a pic that would show me.

Mike

Mike I didn't have a picture but I modified yours with red lines showing where to measure. It came out a little small but I think you can make it out. Here it is

Attachments

• 727 pump.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 465
-
Back