I need to tell you about paint.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
73Abodee (Lance) painted his car himself and I asked for some details on the materials he used.
He directed me to a company called TCP Global where I looked up this paint.
An Acrylic Enamel single stage paint in a kit with "wet look" medium hardener for use in temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/RSP-AE1701-KIT-M.html?ext=F#.VuQ1Q2_2bGh

They have great prices for what you get, but I found that Walmart supplies the exact same kit from this exact same company, but the shipping is about 15 bucks less than ordering it direct from TCP Global.

I did a test shoot on my trunk lid a week or so ago and found the paint (which is pre thinned when you get it) to be a little too thick and it was producing just a bit of orange peel.
Well, I ordered the medium reducer for it and mixed it a 25% (3 parts paint to one part reducer) and it started flowing out pretty nice.

The fact that I bought the paint, 2 guns (a detail and a full size), the hardener, reducer, paint filters, stir sticks, reducer, painting tape, sand paper and 12x400 feet of plastic for right at $250, I think I can do it myself and have all the equipment forever afterwards. :D

I did another test shot on the fender extensions, and this is 24 hours later and sitting out in the driveway.
The paint instructions say 1 hr to a non tacky surface, but I'd say it's closer to two.
Now if I can get the rest of the car to come out like this I'll be a happy camper.

Attachments

• fenderext.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 344
you aught come try that out on my duster ;)

I'll be right there, got coffee ready? :D

Unfortunately I have to do this one panel at a time on weekends because I need the car during the week, but it's about 60 and breezy today so prep work can be done on colder days and a bit at a time during the week here and there.
One upside is I don't have to do door jambs and things like that because it's so close of a match to the original paint.

Very nice work.....Looks GREAT :thumbup:

Who'd ever think you could get that at Wally World...WOW

I had NO idea it could be ordered thru Walmart!!!! I have used TCP Globals products for several years now. I have had great experience with it, their DTM epoxy, high fill urethane primers, polyester primers, papers, and I shoot acrylic urethane. pro body man suggested mixing some clear with it, but havn't tried that yet.

yes shipping gets high from Ca. I like their low VOC as even with good respirator, it kicks my ***! I need a fresh air suit really. but I degress....

go to their "color library" for the correct oem formular. I figure it is comparable to PPg, DuPont etc secondary lines.

"I ain't a painter" but thanks for the info. Been thinking about a cheap job for the White Whale

Very nice work.....Looks GREAT :thumbup:

Who'd ever think you could get that at Wally World...WOW

You can order it through wallyworld, but it still ships direct from TCP Global.
The shipping is cheaper through wally. :D

I'll be painting a fender a kick *** member hooked me up with before too long.

I had NO idea it could be ordered thru Walmart!!!! I have used TCP Globals products for several years now. I have had great experience with it, their DTM epoxy, high fill urethane primers, polyester primers, papers, and I shoot acrylic urethane. pro body man suggested mixing some clear with it, but havn't tried that yet.

yes shipping gets high from Ca. I like their low VOC as even with good respirator, it kicks my ***! I need a fresh air suit really. but I degress....

go to their "color library" for the correct oem formular. I figure it is comparable to PPg, DuPont etc secondary lines.

Everything I have read on it seems to be decent quality also.
If I had a week for body prep and a paint booth I'd be in heaven. LOL

Hell, I'd be in heaven if I just had a flippin garage. :D
I have to get it all ready and then wait for the perfect moment/day/weather to spray.
SUCKS! LOL

Walmart huh? thanks for the tip, but Iv`e been playing heck trying to find a color match from tcp. I even ordered their chart, and the paint comes not even matching the chart sample:pale:

Walmart huh? thanks for the tip, but Iv`e been playing heck trying to find a color match from tcp. I even ordered their chart, and the paint comes not even matching the chart sample:pale:

Bummer, and there isn't a lot you can do about that I guess except get as close as you can and hope for the best.

Walmart accepts Paypal as does TCP also, so that's a big upside for me.

That looks real good. Remember though, in some circles......and depending on what it is, I am in it, a certain amount of orange peel is acceptable.......even a good thing, especially if you are going for a total restoration look, or even emulating how they sprayed them "back in the day".

Some of the nicest unrestored cars I have ever seen had orange peel. It kind came with the territory.

That said, that looks fantastic......and you say you shot it right there in the driveway outside?

I'd buy from TCP before walmart and take the $15 penalty... :)

I used TCP for almost everything when I painted the engine compartment on the Orange Bomb. Came out nice.

when i lived in long beach, i would order through TCP GLOBAL, and have them bring it to LONG BEACH HOT ROD SWAP MEET, free delivery. they are great guys.

That looks real good. Remember though, in some circles......and depending on what it is, I am in it, a certain amount of orange peel is acceptable.......even a good thing, especially if you are going for a total restoration look, or even emulating how they sprayed them "back in the day".

Some of the nicest unrestored cars I have ever seen had orange peel. It kind came with the territory.

That said, that looks fantastic......and you say you shot it right there in the driveway outside?

You know, I noticed that in the original paint but I think I could do without it if I can manage it.
Yup, shot it outside in the yard.
In the sun, 75 degrees and about a 2 mph breeze so setting up kinda fast is a good thing.

"I ain't a painter" but thanks for the info. Been thinking about a cheap job for the White Whale

I have some paint experience at a Furd and RV dealerships in my background as well as painted a ton of little things on both the Darts, so that helped.

this gets back to the discussion that has been cussed on here times before. bodywork is a learned skill. it can be learned to whatever degree we desire. yes better results come from , for instance, a $20,000 spray booth, but plenty of nice jobs can be had without THAT!!!!

but for the guy that can't afford or doesn't want to sink those $$ into the bodyshop, great results can be had at home. its a matter of learning skills, getting some experience/feel, doing the WORK!, and getting the necessary tools.

I can buy same quality products at local paint store, but not low VOC. thats the reason I got with TCP to begin with.

orange peel can be a factor with BC/CC, thats why they wet sand and buff. plenty of shine can be had with acrylic urethane, its durable, and can be clear coated if wanted. and if a person wants that "real" factory look, ya want get it with that artificial look of clear. of course TCP and everyone sells BC/CC anyway. IMHO

Damn Greg , that looks fantastic. Great results !

Im about to order some more here in a couple weeks myself.

I'm liking this a lot...Great job! Not sure at this point if I'll attempt to spray my own paint but it is encouraging to see results like these.

Any new car on any mfgrs lot will show orange peel. Articles I've read say it's the additives for UV protection, etc.. that cause the orange peel.
Remember back in the day the plastic filler pieces around bumpers would rot right out from under the paint ? D.O.T. qualified plastics haven't changed so much. Strip all the paint from todays bumper skin and the sun will eat it up. Most of our classics have very little exterior plastic to worry about. We may not let our classic sit out in the sun, acid rain, other elements , day after day either.
Bottom line, consider all the factors, rather than the cost alone.

great job and thanks for the the tip , I have to shoot the inside of my trunk and the new rear valance after I finish their replacement and this looks like the cats backside for my needs .

-
Back