I need wiring help...

-

danmc77

Reaction score
Ok guys, I know there are 10 million ignition/ballast resistor questions out there, but after reading them, I still have questions regarding how I have my wiring set up.

I've started w/ a stock repro engine/charging harness, and have made modifications trying to use as much or the original wires as possible.

These are the mods/updates I've made:

Late-model internally regulated alternator (obviously eliminated the VR on the bulkhead)
remote "sense" wire to a main "bus" (stater relay stud)
Mallory ignition box
Mallory Unilite dist.

Ok, now let me TRY to explain as best I can, as it relates to the ballast resistor, how it is set up from the factory, versus how I have modified it:

the stock BR has 2 wires leading to one side - one from the ignition switch(brown), and one leading to the + terminal of the coil (blue). they are on the same side of the BR. On the other side of the BR is a wire leading to the "ign" terminal of the stock voltage regulator.

That same "ign" terminal on the VR is joined by a wire directly from the ignition switch (blue). so there are 2 wires on that terminal. on the other side of the VR, one green wire leads to the "field" terminal on the alternator.

Ok - here's what I did...

The new alt is internally regulated, so I need to connect an "ign," "sense," and "B+" directly to it. So, First, from the "ign" terminal of the original VR, I extended the harness so the wires connect to the alternator "ign" terminal. so basically, it's the blue from the ignition switch, and the wire from one end of the ballast resistor. I routed a new "sense" wire to the starter relay battery post, and routed a 10gauge wire from the B+ on the alt to that same relay battery post.

ok, now that the alt is hooked up, I now had to focus on the Mallory ignition box...

Basically, the Mallory box hooked to the dist with no problems. It also has a + and - that go directly to the battery for power, again, no problem there. It has 2 wires that go to the + and - of the coil, no problem, except that it replaces the original BR wire to the + coil terminal. Now, where I think I get into an issue is the switched ignition source that needs to be connected to a small red wire from the ignition box. Basically, what I did was take the original coil + wire of the BR (remember the side of the BR that has 2 wires connected - I'm using the one that went to the coil+) and used that to connect to the red wire of the box and distributor.

So, questions are:

Does this system work the way I have it wired; maintaining the ballast resistor?

If I have to eliminate the resistor, can I just basically connect the wires at either end of the BR, and will that have any effect on the VR in the Alt; since the stock "ign" terminal of the VR came from the BR, is there something to that?

I hope I've explained it clearly - thanks for the help guys!!

Ok - I'm pretty sure I know what I have to do, but I just need confirmation from people who know...

I think I just need to get rid of the BR, and keep the 2 wires on the one side connected, so essentially, I'll have the blue wire from the ignition switch continue through the coil wire to the Mallory switched ignition wire. Then I can eliminate the wire from the other side of the BR that connected to the VR "ign" - that NOW connects to the alt "ign." I can do that becaus ethe alt "ign" already has the other wire connected to it directly from the ignition switch as well. Right?

My only concern or question is if, for some reason, the BR was needed for the "ign" side of the VR - now the "ign" terminal of the alt.

I run a ACCEL ignition with a stock Mopar distributor. I totally did away with the ballast. I twisted the brown wire and blue wire together and that is the hot to my ignition box. You have to connect both together or the car will fire in the start position but when you let off into the run position it will shut off. You can do away with the ballast and wire it like I mention using your Mallory wiring diagram.

I run a ACCEL ignition with a stock Mopar distributor. I totally did away with the ballast. I twisted the brown wire and blue wire together and that is the hot to my ignition box. You have to connect both together or the car will fire in the start position but when you let off into the run position it will shut off. You can do away with the ballast and wire it like I mention using your Mallory wiring diagram.
Thanks, but I just need clarification - there are too many blue and brown wires involved here...

There are the blue and brown already connected going to one BR terminal (ignition switch, and coil + wire)

Then there is a blue going from the other BR terminal to the VR "ign" terminal and where it meets up with another blue wire from the ignition switch with a white tracer.

Which brown and blue wires did you twist together?

ok - I think I have it vizualized in my head...

The brown ignition wire that meets up with the coil wire is activated in the "start up" position and directs full flow to the coil. The blue ignition wire that goes to the "ign" VR terminal, that is indirectly connected to the other side of the BR, is activated in the "run" position - so both wires need to be twisted together leading to the ignition box - that way it is activated during "start" and "run?"

If that's right, I can just remove the BR and connect the terminals to accomplish the same task. Right?

Thanks, but I just need clarification - there are too many blue and brown wires involved here...

There are the blue and brown already connected going to one BR terminal (ignition switch, and coil + wire)

Then there is a blue going from the other BR terminal to the VR "ign" terminal and where it meets up with another blue wire from the ignition switch with a white tracer.

Which brown and blue wires did you twist together?

Dark Blue with tracer and the Brown coming off the switch.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1967/67BarracudaA.jpg

Thanks again for your help guys - got everything installed and modified yesterday - looks like my HIDs and headlight relays are working just as expected - here are some pics; should have her running in a couple days - should have close to 525hp...

BTW - before people complain about the color - it's really not that blue in person - more like a white/blue. 5,000k
IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

Thanks again for your help guys - got everything installed and modified yesterday - looks like my HIDs and headlight relays are working just as expected - here are some pics; should have her running in a couple days - should have close to 525hp...

More like "guy" isn't it? LOL Just kidding.

Man that is a sweet looking Charger. I had a 68 for 14yrs until a dumbass Afro American female ran a stop sign a totaled it out for me. It was a nice car. Everything was perfect. I miss that car dearly.

More like "guy" isn't it? LOL Just kidding.

Man that is a sweet looking Charger. I had a 68 for 14yrs until a dumbass Afro American female ran a stop sign a totaled it out for me. It was a nice car. Everything was perfect. I miss that car dearly.
Lol - I guess you're right - thanks, guy!!

Thanks for the compliment - My Dad bought this car brand new in 68 as his first car. Back in the early eighties, my Mom was driving it and got hit in an intersection - it sat for the next 15 years. The body was done around '96 and then sat in the driveway for another 3 or so years untouched. I finally took the project over and finished the resto. It's been on jack stands for the last year for some upgrades and top-end engine rebuild. My Dad gave me the car several years ago because I restored it. Can;t wait to get her back on the road.

Lol - I guess you're right - thanks, guy!!

Thanks for the compliment - My Dad bought this car brand new in 68 as his first car. Back in the early eighties, my Mom was driving it and got hit in an intersection - it sat for the next 15 years. The body was done around '96 and then sat in the driveway for another 3 or so years untouched. I finally took the project over and finished the resto. It's been on jack stands for the last year for some upgrades and top-end engine rebuild. My Dad gave me the car several years ago because I restored it. Can;t wait to get her back on the road.

Man that is great!

Make sure you get classic auto insurance when you get it on the road. Like Hagerty's... I'm glad I did before the wreck. I wouldn't have got enough money if it was just standard insurance.

You have a jewel there bud!

-
Back