I remember when..............

-
What about smoking sections? Nobody remember when a guy could have a smoke with his coffee? Or ashtrays in hospital waiting rooms, mall food courts, etc? Nowdays my f#$&ing $36,000 Durango don't even have an ashtray.:banghead:

Yes the good ole smoking sections,i can remember standing in the lineup at the bank smoking a cigarette,with a standup ashtray nearby.

How about menu prices...in 1975 a New York Strip steak was $9.95 including salad and baked potato. Most of the other meals were $6.95 - $8.95 at a nice restaurant where I worked as a busboy.

how about the bulk oil glass bottles....lol..and the metal basket they sat in...20 cents a quart...I pumped gas at a private owned station and a guy would always come flying in with an odd car...one was a 58 chevy wagon with a 348 in it...he'd buy 2 qts of bulk oil for the motor and 2 for the tranny...it was cheaper than tranny fluid and He never kept the cars long...plus He never would shut it off while servicing....then he'd burn rubber on his way out.....used to like seeing Him come in..

When I was 16 I drove my dads 55 Metor 292-3 speed. When a bunch of us wanted to go to the beach we would go around each house and pick up all the empties, get the refund and fill the car up, get a pack of smokes and a mickey of lemon gin. (the girls loved that sh..t)

i remember when cds came out tapes went out and when mp3s came out. you had to have a cable box to watch cable and turn knob tvs. micro machines were in and hotwheels from the 70s were just starting to get ancient. starting my own hot wheels collection and the time gas was at 1.00 so me and my good friend literally raced down to the gas station to fill up out cars for under 20. i also remember when smoking was banned everywhere indoors and minimum wage jumped up to 6.25 an hour :S

i remember when the troopers drove plymouth furys with big blocks, and my parents would take us to the drive -in movies in their custom 77 tradesman van while talking on the cb radio. oh and there were no car seats, me and my brother just sat on the bed in the back.

I remember the little mom and pop store every other block (so it seemed).
You could get 2 pieces of candy for a penny (mint leaves, bubble gum, lemon drops, black jack licorice ,etc.). They also sold lunch meat that they would slice pieces off the long tubes.

Watching Captain Kangaroo .
Safety restraints in cars were mom or dad's arm swing across in front of you when they had to stop the car fast.

OHH Geof--those metal spouts!!!!!!!! I don't remember EVER having one that didn't get oil everywhere!!!!!!!!! and what about when the cardboard can collapsed and oil went everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! How about going to grandma's on Sunday's for broasted chicken ?????????? That was high living---- How bout--The Ed Sullivan show---Laugh-in---All star wrestling--And we HAD to watch 60 minutes cause my dad was a history teacher!!!!!!!!! How bout being called in for supper cause you spent EVERY minute you could with your buddies outside making up bombs and sneaking a peak at dad's playboy's!!!!!!!!!!! How bout the first time you got a pack of firecrackers!!!!!!!! Oh man we blew up some stuff!!!!!!!!

Well Steve, it's funny that you started this thread. We have an ever growing tradition in our family when we get together at holidays. The tradition is that you have to tell a story from your past that the parents, grandparents or whoever is there probably doesn't know!! Now that we're all grown, we can share a lot of the stupid stuff that my brother and I did as young 'un's and we all have a very good laugh. My Mom loves to hear about our shady past, a lot of things she had absolutely no clue about, and I think , Earth to Mom!!!. PM me for the story of "Robbie the Robot", one of her favorites!!!

One of my son's favorites is called "Safety Precautions", and involves the use of firecrackers, gasoline, model cars and toy soldiers, and of course absent parents. I just hope he doesn't try this at home!!! I think I've created a monster!!

Thanks for the thread Steve, I love readin' them all!! Geof

Dean Martin Celebrity Roast
Wonderama with Bob McAllister
Lost In Space
Riding on the package tray in pop's 68 Oldsmobile
Schwinn "Krate Bikes" with the 5-speed shifter
soda & beer cans with pull-off tabs, or before that, you had to use a can opener
parents whistling in the backyard for their kids to come home for dinner at 5PM
having to fill the ice cube tray if you wanted ice with dinner that night
The Barney Miller Show
Every car you saw (driving or parked) was American made with very few exceptions
nightly visit all summer long by the Ice Cream Man
playing football/kickball/whiffle ball in the street in front of the house all summer long
weekend trips to the dragstrip with older brother and friends
speed shops
leaded gas
burning leaves/sticks in a 55 gallon drum
having the freedoms that the government has taken away since those days

Glad I was a kid in those days. I wish my kids could see how much fun life was before "they" started regulating every GD thing in your life.

George

Kids ran free as long as the street lights weren't on. Parents knew we come home.
One black and white TV, no remote and you could get public TV on U or UU channels
Green shag carpet and everything appliance in the kitchen was some kind of weird yellow.
Red strip tires on my banana seat bike that screached when I left my skid marks made me cool.
Oh! and every car on the block in 1976 to 1978! This includes a purple 340 Demon, a 1970 green 454 Chevelle with cowl induction, my best friends parents MG and 1970 Pontiac convertible, brand new 1976 Monte Carlo black with a red pinstripe and ralley wheels with the longer center caps (had the ridges). One neighbor used to buy old Mopar cop cars and resell them. Another had a 67 to 72 Chevy truck with the white center caps. The rest were all pretty easy to forget I guess. I moved when I was 6 but I definitely was a car nut early.
These are the memories when I was 4 to 6 growing up in the 70's.

I remember when my Gramps was a carpenter for the US Forest Service. In fact, he built the (now museum) original log ranger station at Priest Lake, ID. He worked there long enough he built some lookouts TWICE. I can still remember when we went up to Gisborne Mountain in about '58 when he was finishing up the "new" lookout, with the old one he had built still there not far away

The point is, there were no portable generators, pneumatic tools, air compressors, or battery powered drills and other accessories, except in the rare circumstance that a generator could be trailered in. So these were built by HAND, except maybe for a chain saw. HAND hammers, saws, brace and bit, etc. In some cases, before helicopters became popular, some of the early projects used on site trees for the legs. ALL provisions, sand, cement, water, had to be hauled in AND OUT and on some projects was hauled by mule train.

Gisborne peak lookout

gisborne1999.jpg

Original Priest Lake Ranger Station, now the museum

http://plmuseum.org/

IMG_19.jpg

White Castle Hamburgers - 6¢ each (20 for $1.00)
Esso Gas 29¢ a gallon
Double dip ice cream cone - 5¢ ( single dip 3¢)
bottle of coke - 10¢ (2¢ back if you returned the empty bottle.
Fountain Coke - 5¢
pack of Camel cigarettes - 28¢ ( Vending machines - 30¢, and when you got the pack of cigarettes there were two pennies scotch taped to the side of the pack.
Carton of cigarettes - $2.10

I'll be 63 years old on my next birthday, I grew up in Newark, N.J.

46 yrs old here. We went to church every sunday, on the way home we would stop at the Tiki full service gas station/car wash, fill it with Ethyl(64 Dodge full size 383) and go through the wash.

Our grandparents etc live in Texas, so we flew there every few yrs. I still remember getting airplane food, and smoking on the airplane.

I worked at a exxon station in the mid 80's, we had a gas war with the corner stations, we went down to 32 cents a gallon for Regular.

Looking for a pay phone when you were out and about if you needed to call.

Only available channels on tv (Seattle Wa) 4, 5, 7, 11. Ch 13 came along around 76, and then ch22 in the mid 80's My parents still have never had cable or Satellite if you can believe that.

Riding your bike or walking everywhere.

Having a actual paper route, wearing those 50-100lb bags full of papers, knowing all the cool people in the neighborhood and "Collecting for the Seatte Times"

hmmm what else

My first Job was at a FULL SERVICE Standard gas station-!!!!! HuH tell your kids about FULL SERVICE mine don't believe me--cleaning window's,checking air in tires,checking oil -They have no clue!!!!!!! The best was cleaning window's during the hot summer!!!! Older woman in skirts!!!!! Man I saw some things at that time I didn't understand--LOL

Oh yea--The paper route!!!!! The only day my mom would help was on Sunday's!!!! boy Sunday papers where giant with all the adds!!!! After she would take me and my brother for blueberry pancakes at one of the old diners in town,This was at 4am,Then it was off to church!!!!!! My problem was I was really shy to collect the paper money from the people!!!! LOL

...and everything appliance in the kitchen was some kind of weird yellow.

That weird yellow was called "Harvest Gold". Never had it - our appliances were "Coppertone". LOL
Before that time period the only color you could buy appliances in was white.

OCDart: "SoCal was a great place to be a kid back in the 50s and 60s."

It sure was. I graduated HS in 1973 and I think SoCal has gone downhill since. Used to work for min wage ($1.65) cleaning rental fishing boats at the local lake. Moved up to a 42.50 gas pumping job. Have seen gas at 25 cents. $2 would almost fill up a VW bug.

I remember when my Gramps was a carpenter for the US Forest Service. In fact, he built the (now museum) original log ranger station at Priest Lake, ID. He worked there long enough he built some lookouts TWICE. I can still remember when we went up to Gisborne Mountain in about '58 when he was finishing up the "new" lookout, with the old one he had built still there not far away

The point is, there were no portable generators, pneumatic tools, air compressors, or battery powered drills and other accessories, except in the rare circumstance that a generator could be trailered in. So these were built by HAND, except maybe for a chain saw. HAND hammers, saws, brace and bit, etc. In some cases, before helicopters became popular, some of the early projects used on site trees for the legs. ALL provisions, sand, cement, water, had to be hauled in AND OUT and on some projects was hauled by mule train.

Gisborne peak lookout

gisborne1999.jpg

Original Priest Lake Ranger Station, now the museum

http://plmuseum.org/

IMG_19.jpg

Funny you should mention the look outs and Ranger station. My Dad logged in Priest River before comming down to Yakima in the 40's. He probably new it well and if still alive talk about it. He also worked in the Blisterrust for the Diamond Match Company. My Granpa was Sheriff of Priest River in the mid 20's to 30's.

-
Back