I smell antifreeze

-

busted knuckles

Reaction score
I have noticed once in a while,the smell of antifreeze from inside the car. While driving. A couple of times the windshield fogged up. What could this be? It is not constant. I realize its the heater core, but why only once in a while? Also, what is the fix? I am up in Vancouver B.C., so I do need the heat. Thanks for any replies.

Yeah , it sounds like your heater core has a tiny hole in it. Maybe there`s enough crud in the system to occasionally clog it. Also temperature and pressure rise and fall together so when the engines running a little hot it may be just enough pressure to get it to leak. I had a heater core that leaked only if I got into the throttle good otherwise it wouldn`t leak. Heater cores are easy to change in these cars compared to most cars and since they`re only about $35.00 I would put one in it and be done with it.

Say Busted, I had this happen to me years ago and the problem was actually the water pump seal. On the highway glycol was dripping out the weep hole on the housing and the vapors were coming back and being picked up by the heater and making it smell inside the car and fogging the windshield. Sounds crazy but true.

Terry

Thanks for the help, guys. I did have a small crack in the rad that I just soldered up the other day, maybe that was it? I did not notice any smell today. I will keep an eye on it. Where would be the best place to buy an new heater core? I live in canada, but go to the u.s. quite often.

-
Back