I Survived a Violent Motorcycle Crash!

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I have been off of the site for awhile. Back around the end of January I was hit by a box (moving) truck on the interstate. The truck drifted into my lane and before I could get out of the way the step bumper grabbed the crash bar on my bike (08 Dyna) and turned me sideways at about 80 mph. My dad was riding his bike behind me and but for him I probably would have gotten run over in the middle of the interstate. He laid his brand new bike down on the shoulder and ran out into the highway and dragged me out of the road. Ended up with quite a bit of road rash. Worst injury was a shattered wrist that has been surgically repaired. It's on the mend but I will probably be in a cast for another four to six weeks. Bike was destroyed. Pretty sure my riding days are over for quite some time (wife said its time to stop). To add insult to injury someone stole my boots while I was in the hospital. Thank goodness I have my Dart to keep me occupied. And in case you are wondering, this is the difference between being brain dead (or just plain dead) and of sound mind.

C14BCDA6-D5DE-460A-8086-D06FCA4BA5B7_zpsupg7mdxm.jpg

Glad you made it out ok man, I think I have that same helmet.....always wondered how it'd hold up! lol

lucky your Dad was there or it may have been lots worse. I got broke from the habit in 72. Near death and out of work for about 5 months was enough

Agree! They are as fun as heck but the dangers are incredible. I had a wreck once not too serious but I was laid up for 2 months.
Glad you are still here! Did they get the truck driver?
Helmet is a souvenir!
Glad that You're OK. -- Give up the Bikes. -- Stick to Mopars. -- :thumbsup: --

Helmet did its job, gave up street bikes a few years ago after my buddy was killed by a 78 year old woman doing a U-turn on the interstate.
I had just bought a new bike 3 weeks before his accident, only rode it for about 3K miles, traded it in on a newer challenger.

When I was younger and really stupid on bikes an older neighbor told me while slapping his legs, he said "Just remember boy, these are your fenders" for some reason that really sank in and I slowed down a bunch, but you never know..............

Agree! They are as fun as heck but the dangers are incredible. I had a wreck once not too serious but I was laid up for 2 months.
Glad you are still here! Did they get the truck driver?
Helmet is a souvenir!

Last I spoke to the state trooper who worked the accident, they had not tracked the driver down. I think an eye witness got some information on the truck but the case is ongoing. At this point I'm just suffering through missing work. Have a couple of external pins keeping me from doing much.

I'm glad you're here to tell the story !!!
I hope you continue to recover fast and fully !!
My wife and I both have Harley's and ride often .
Seems most rides you encounter at least one dipshit if not more !!
Back in 08 I hit a deer on one of my bikes . It killed the deer but miraculously I did not crash !!
I was glad it was not one of my mopars !!!
Glad you have a dart to enjoy !!

Glad you're OK. My dad's riding days ended on the Jersey turnpike in the 70's. He dumped his Triumph on a rainy night. No more street or dirt for him. to this day dad won't go near a bike. Thankfully it didn't stop my dirt riding.
good luck with finding the trucker and I hope you recover fully.

glad youy and your dad are ok.. glad you had a real helmet on.. those little turtle shells won't help much..

You are a lucky man, count your blessings!
Glad you are still with us,
C

I crashed a bunch of motorcycles over the years...I was a bit nutty on the damn things.
At one point I broke my wrist while I was riding in a cast from a broken ankle..and then I shattered my tibia before the wrist was even back to normal.
...I crashed a lot of bikes.
Last straw for me was a close call with a guy yapping on his phone, making a left turn in front of me.
Happened a couple of years ago..just completely lost the desire to ride at that point..on the street at least.
Part of me still wants a KX500 to do a little trail riding with, but that's about it.

Good luck on your mend. I was in a bad M/C wreck last May. Got a helicopter ride ride to a Trauma center. Fractured skull, broken nose, broken arm, a broken wrist, and thumbs on both hands. Still not or ever will be 100%. Haven't been on or any intention of getting on another bike. Something i loved but....... I thank the Lord I'm still alive and got use of my right arm and hand back.

Good luck on your mend. I was in a bad M/C wreck last May. Got a helicopter ride ride to a Trauma center. Fractured skull, broken nose, broken arm, a broken wrist, and thumbs on both hands. Still not or ever will be 100%. Haven't been on or any intention of getting on another bike. Something i loved but....... I thank the Lord I'm still alive and got use of my right arm and hand back.
Oh man, I broke both my thumbs in one shot going over the handlebars of a dirt bike. One never realizes how important those damn things are, until you dont have any that work!

Glad you're okay, man! My bike riding days ended before they ever started. I was stationed in Western Tennessee in the mid 90s, and I was thinking of getting a bike. I was young, in the Navy, and I had daydreams of being Maverick from Top Gun riding his bike along the runway of the base as an F-14 came in for a landing. That changed in an instant the day I came upon a motorcycle accident before any police or EMS got there. Pieces of a crotch rocket scattered everywhere, a totaled Ford Probe on the side of the road, and a spreading pool of blood around a guy whose buddy had just covered his head (or what was left of it) with his jacket. That image is still stuck in my head, and it's what keeps me off bikes today. I try not to discourage others with my story, simply because I don't want to get in the way of their enjoyment of the open road, but I can't do it. Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do.

Oh man, I broke both my thumbs in one shot going over the handlebars of a dirt bike. One never realizes how important those damn things are, until you dont have any that work!
Pretty much what I did. Face broke the inner fairing and broke the thumbs going over. I had casts on both arms to my elbow with my thumbs:thumbsup: and my fingers half way to the tips for 8 weeks. They didn't cast me where they bolted me together. Handling toilet paper wasn't happening. It'll make one look at life differently when your nearly 100% dependent on someone else, and be thankful for what and who you have.

So glad you made it threw that, and your dad :eek: sounds like you have a good direction to move forward in :thumbsup: this could have went ether way my friend, I am sure you are counting your blessing :)

WOW! Yea man, it canbe dangerous out there. I haven't been riding in the last few years and I don't miss the blind, stupid and arrogant people on the road.
But I do miss the bike some.

And that is why I'm not getting on a donercycle.
It's bad enough when I just have to be concerned with my own situation driving in a car.
No way am I going to mix it up with the idiots behind the wheels of cars and trucks todAY with just two wheels under me.

Laid one down about 10 years ago. A guy in a Honda stopped at a yield sign with nobody coming from the other side of the yield (I was just rolling into the throttle). I locked both wheels up and skidded toward the trunk of the Honda (this guy is watching it happen in his rear view mirror) at the last 20 feet I realized that I wasn't going to make it and turned the bike sideways and slid it out from under me. You are absolutely correct on safety equipment, I was fully leathered up, Jacket, chaps, gloves and boots (by the way what kind of lowlife steals a man's boots?) and 3/4 helmet. I slid across the road and got the wind knocked out of me. I was laying there gasping for air when somebody helped me up and sat me down on the guardrail. By the way, the guy in the Honda just drove away. After I regain my senses I told the guy I'm going to pick up my bike. He told me he was an off-duty police officer and I should stay sitting, I told him I don't care I'm going to pick up my bike. He went over and picked it up for me. The ambulance was there in about 3 seconds it seems and wanted to give me the $800 ambulance ride. I said nah, I'll be alright. I went over, looked at my bike borrowed some surgical tape from the ambulance people and tapped my driving lights back on checked the clutch, check the brake, started it up with a huge cloud of Blue Smoke and like a big tough biker down the road I went. When I got home, like a big tough biker I put the bike in the shed and like a big tough biker, I went into the house THEN grabbef my ribs and said "arrrrgh, that hurts". Could have been a whole lot worse, all I got was a little bit of road rash on my face and sore ribs. Glad that you're on the mend brother. Metal can always be replaced.

Last edited:
So glad to hear your crash wasn't any worse than it was!
Yeah, bikes are great fun and a wonderful sense of freedom. I've been down 3 times over the years, twice on the SoCal freeways and once in our local mountains but never injured beyond a bruise or two - even though one bike was totaled.
Your story reminded me of how fortunate I've been.
Heal fast!

Wow! I'm so glad you're OK. That picture of your helmet makes me wonder why some folks ride without wearing one....

Be well,
Pat

Wow! I'm so glad you're OK. That picture of your helmet makes me wonder why some folks ride without wearing one....

Be well,
Pat
so glad you are ok and on the mend. why didn't someone put up a post when this happened? maybe in some small way your family here could have done something for you. even if it was just a pm or a card, but we should have been able to do something for you. god bless and take care. pm me if there is anyway I can help

-
Back