I think I fried my amp gauge!

-

Valkman

Reaction score
So I converted my 65 Barracuda (that had been converted to electronic) to a MSD type ignition. I bult a new harness to make it a clean installation. Car ran great but I noticed the amp gauge wasn't moving. After driving a while the car starts to stall out (turned out to be low battery voltage) I troubleshootied and checked my wiring and everything looks good except I crossed the alt and battery wire on the bulkhead! I switched them but got then no voltage to the car at all. I then jumped the post at the bulkhead and everything is good except the gauge. I think it's toast?:eek:

No dammit fix the problem FIRST. Or at least troubleshoot the problem so that you understand it fully

Swapping the alt/ battery wires, if you are talking about the large supply wires, should cause no problems except cause the ammeter to read backwards. That unless you "arced" (shorted) the battery to ground, and put a great deal of current through the ammeter. The most probable failure is the fuse link

It IS possible, however for the ammeter to fail. Only one way to find out....................pull the cluster

Not familiar with the access/ room under the dash on those old girls. If you can reach the ammeter terminals, you might (AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY!!) remove the ammeter wires and or jumper them.

Here we go again! 67Dart273 I'm not an idiot! As I stated in my 1st post I check the wiring and yes I do know how look at wiring diagrams! Just just made a mistake I'm human! If you insist on fire post without reading the thread I asume stay out of my threads!:drama:

One way to check to see if the ammeter needle is stuck, is to run a magnet close to the gauge. The needle should move when you run the magnet close by. With a strong enough magnet, you can do it without taking anything apart in the dash.

Here we go again! 67Dart273 I'm not an idiot! As I stated in my 1st post I check the wiring and yes I do know how look at wiring diagrams! Just just made a mistake I'm human! If you insist on fire post without reading the thread I asume stay out of my threads!:drama:

Well then fine. I'll put you on ignore and you can go fix your ****. I don't believe I called you an idiot.

you might get an aftermarket amp gauge and hook the factory amp gauge wires to it, just loose under the dash to see if it works. The wires have ring ends just like you would use on an aftermarket gauge so it's a pretty easy thing to do. I actually put an aftermarket amp gauge with my volt meter and mechanical oil pressure gauge under the dash. I think an ammeter is useful, but if it goes up hanging under the dash, there's a lot less collateral damage than if its in your dash cluster.

-
Back