I think I screwed up.

-
BTW, I looked at you cam again and realized I made a mistake... this is likely a low RPM torque cam, like the smallest Crane hydraulic flat tappet cam, or another torque based cam. The lift is higher than stone stock. So that is encouraging and good choice for stock type pistons, which we can only assume that you have.

I still would not go above 600 CFM. Going bigger will make it touchier to tune. Since it sounds like you plan to keep a lower rear gear, then the engine is not gonna be a high revver or big breather and will live mostly cruising along on the street. Your manifold takes a square bore carb, so something simple like the old standard Holley 1850C would work for you.

BTW, the carb won't necessarily help with low end response, you can just make a selection that avoids hurting it.

BTW, I looked at you cam again and realized I made a mistake... this is likely a low RPM torque cam, like the smallest Crane hydraulic flat tappet cam, or another torque based cam. The lift is higher than stone stock. So that is encouraging and good choice for stock type pistons, which we can only assume that you have.

I still would not go above 600 CFM. Going bigger will make it touchier to tune. Since it sounds like you plan to keep a lower rear gear, then the engine is not gonna be a high revver or big breather and will live mostly cruising along on the street. Your manifold takes a square bore carb, so something simple like the old standard Holley 1850C would work for you.

BTW, the carb won't necessarily help with low end response, you can just make a selection that avoids hurting it.

Thanks for the carb recommendation. Local Mopar shop suggested an Edelbrock 600 series Performer or QuickFuel 580. Both of these have electric choke.

Does anybody have any comments on these 2 carbs without starting a CarbWar? Quick fuel sounds like an easy tuning unit without having to buy a bunch of springs and plates etc. I like that!

Hi Forum,

Quick bump to the thread. Any comments on the edelbrock 600 VS. the QVT 580?
-Will this fit under the hood on a 318 with LD4B intake?

Also thinking about an upgrade to the distributor, it looks like the rotor is rubbing against the pickup block. So maybe worn bearings on the shaft? I will try and post a photo later today.

Well, that's the sort of info I'm looking for. The engine is built and in the car. I will call them Monday and see if they have a policy on using the block casting date to decide how they build the block up. The 273 heads are on, and they reused my original headers and alternator and intake. I'm pretty set on putting the LD4B on and deciding on a carb.

The year of the block and whether it's a roller is not an issue. It may in fact be advantageous if it's a roller block.........as you could use a roller cam, but don't need to. Whatever is wrong with your build, perceived or otherwise, has nothing to do with the block per se

I do hope you are not using 273 heads. Smaller ports, might be the answer right there.

Before anything else, I'd worry about compression/ leakdown tests, timing curve, and where the cam is degreed, and carb / jetting for good measure.

I've seen "awful" combos were just as simple as a couple of simple things.......timing,......throttle not opening fully, etc.

The year of the block and whether it's a roller is not an issue. It may in fact be advantageous if it's a roller block.........as you could use a roller cam, but don't need to. Whatever is wrong with your build, perceived or otherwise, has nothing to do with the block per se

I do hope you are not using 273 heads. Smaller ports, might be the answer right there.

Before anything else, I'd worry about compression/ leakdown tests, timing curve, and where the cam is degreed, and carb / jetting for good measure.

I've seen "awful" combos were just as simple as a couple of simple things.......timing,......throttle not opening fully, etc.

Like I posted earlier I'm using the 273 parts bolted onto the 318 block: heads, headers and intake including the tiny 2bbl carb. It was sort of a last minute call to switch to the 318 block, and I hadn't really thought about the ports being an issue when the shop called me about making the switch. I'm not really in the market to go hunting down new heads and having them reworked. I was hoping to "bolt on" some power improvements to a summer driver, not get bogged down in building he ultimate 318. However if the consensus is that 273 heads are performance killers then I guess I should start shopping around.

If your 273 was a '68 2 BBL, then it will have the same heads as the 318 had for several years after; the PN ends in 675.

Take off a valve cover and find the 7 digit PN and see if is these. The PN is cast on top of one of the cast intake or exhaust runners. Posting PN here will help everyone give you better info.

66/67 273 closed chamber heads will work fine!!!!! They are the same casting on early 318's. Bolt them suckers up with the thinest head gasket you can find and enjoy your ride.

Last edited:
20170606_142502.jpg

For what it's worth. I'll check my head casting pn as well.

View attachment 1715054583
For what it's worth. I'll check my head casting pn as well.
Your distributor has a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition installed in it. Good setup IMO. Never saw one rub like that but I'd look and see if where it bolts down it's adjustable. If so back it off till it doesn't rub. Also check the bushings cause as you stated earlier they may be loose.

Hi Forum,

Quick bump to the thread. Any comments on the edelbrock 600 VS. the QVT 580?
-Will this fit under the hood on a 318 with LD4B intake?
I've used several Quick Fuel carbs on customer and friends cars and they always work great. One of the best bargains around IMO. I'd go with the QFT 580 if it were me

Your distributor has a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition installed in it. Good setup IMO. Never saw one rub like that but I'd look and see if where it bolts down it's adjustable. If so back it off till it doesn't rub. Also check the bushings cause as you stated earlier they may be loose.

Sure shows the integrity of the ignition doesn't it? They make a good setup. A concentric pickup gap is needed here so check the distributor over well.

I've used several Quick Fuel carbs on customer and friends cars and they always work great. One of the best bargains around IMO. I'd go with the QFT 580 if it were me
Yep, for small cam cruising, LD4B & any of these three carbs; 570 Street Avenger, the above 580 QuikFuel, or Eddy Thunder AVS 500........if You're not winding it past
5300 You don't need any more & throttle response should be excellent.

-
Back