I think I'm missing something

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have started playing with the rearend. It's an 8 3/4 with a 489 center. Here's my problem. There is one spring perch still there. It is 2 1/2 inches from the inner flange surface to the edge of the perch. When I measure the 43 inches center to center of the perch to place the new perch, it ends up being farther away from the other flange than the 2 1/2 inches the first one is. Is it supposed to be this way? I didn't think so. Here are the measurements from the housing.
Outer flange surface to outer flange surface = 52 9/16
Inner flange surface to inner flange surface = 51 15/16
Axel one = 27 13/16
Axel two = 27 3/4 (adjuster side)

What am I missing?

Jack

how far off??
if it's 1" farther from the other flange, it sounds like the B-body rear that's in my car....

don't make the mistake the PO of mine did...he didn't even relocate the perches....just muscled the springs inboard and used the stock 7 1/4 shock plates and bent the u-bolts around the housing so they'd fit....

i swear...some peoples' kids

That's where I am getting confused. The smallest "B" body flange to flange measurement is 55 inches. This rear doesn't seem to match any of the measurements from the chart. If the existing perch is in the wrong spot, that is not a problem. I will just cut it off and re-center the rear and weld the new perch's in the correct position. I just would like to know what I have to start with.

Jack

I have a 8-3/4 rear sitting here. It measures center of perch to center of perch 43" . Perches are both 3-1/4" from edge of perch to inner flange. Measures 52" from inner flange surface to inner flange surface. I hope I helped!!

Both axles should be the same overall length too. The only difference is the axle adjustor

That's the kind of info I was looking for DARTSPORT. Those measurements are almost exactly what I am looking at. The difference in the measurements you have and what I have is 1/16 of an inch. That is most likely a faulty tape measure. Somebody must have moved the spring perch on this one for some reason. Looks like my mystery is solved.

Thanks all

Jack

-
Back