I think my 225 is toast

-
If that's a northeast car, it's in really good shape. Top looks good. I can see it as a good daily driver in town and you wouldn't have to worry so much about it. Hey it's summer, maybe throw some 50W in it and see what happens.........hehe.

A lot has happened over the past two weeks. Last Saturday, acquired a motor & trans from member ms2420

Thanks, man.

Pulled the old motor

zZCJF.jpg

Changed out for this low-mileage '71:

s5Y7j.jpg

changed the trans fluid & filter

FG0pL.jpg

some crud located

3Xv8P.jpg

and cleaned

F4Tcy.jpg

Motor started right up after a pre-oiling spin, immediately demonstrated a pretty good exhaust leak at #1 in the manifold. There followed a lesson (a saga, really) in Slant 6 manifold gasket replacement, with the agony of snapped bolts & studs & the ecstasy of drill bits and taps. And magic hidden nuts, and screwdrivers as guides, and three types of washers...good god.

After replacing the gasket and finding that my old cheapie torque wrench cannot reliably pull 10-ft/lbs, I got it all together...
only to find a massive exhaust leak at #1.

pRqCD.jpg

After pulling the thermostat housing, the problem was located: a gap of at least .025" in the bottom half of the #1 port. I loosened the manifold & squirted in a ton of copper RTV, but I doubt it'll work, or hold.

Looks like I'll have to prep* the exhaust manifold from the old motor. Meanwhile, the RTV cures, and the bypass hose was replaced, since after having hot exhaust blow on it for an indeterminate period, it was like a rubber band.

Still and all, it's good to be working on MoPar and a relatively easy car again.

*drill out the snapped bolts

To follow: photos of the bottom end.

-
Back