I Think My Cam Is Too Small

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I just playing around with some numbers I grabbed today on a stroker engine I plan to build for the Duster on some dyno software I obtained. I'll be picking up the 400 B block this coming Saturday. I've never built a big block from any manufacturer and I know that CI really mellow out a cam but this is ridiculous. I damn near fell out of chair lauging... 682 ft. lbs of torque at 2000 rpm?

ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 17 21.38.jpg

ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 17 21.39.jpg

Here we go, this is much more to my liking.... My cam specs from the manufacturer were @ .050, not seat-to-seat, lol.

ScreenHunter_08 Jan. 17 22.04.jpg

ScreenHunter_06 Jan. 17 22.02.jpg

BTW, I think dyno software is just a tool, that's all. I'd be happy if this build made 650hp and I severely doubt it'll make 787 hp @ 6500 rpm and hang on till 7500 rpm.

Holy crap Joe, what cam are you looking at for these kinds a numbers. Also Moper's got some thoughts about the 4.250 stroke strokers. Something about the oil control ring runs over top the wrist pin hole, and a real short skirt, might not be streetable.
When I get going I'm doing a 451 stroker so we'll see how that goes. Going to go for the throat on this puppy.

Oil ring doesn't need an additional support ring with a shorter rod. :) The piston pin placement can be dropped in relation to the crank. Yes, there would be more side loading due to the greater angularity of the rod, but it's still over 6.5" long. Apparenty it will still make power and skirt size is normal.

Wow!! The heads must be some whoppers to make that kind of power on a 512.

What's your whole combo? I'll run it on desktop dyno just to see how it compares.

What length rods are you planning on using?

I think 2010 will be the year of the stroker!Everyone seems to be building them,be it s.b or bb.Those are some crazy #,s.What heads are you using Joe?440Source has some amazing deals on alumi.heads.8)

Rods will be 6.535
Lunati Solid Roller 60331
11.5:1 CR
Two Quickfuel 650's on one of Pat Fogel's "Funnel Tunnel Rams" with a split plenum.
440 Source heads. Supposedly they flow 290 cfm out of the box, but I should see 310-320 cfm after porting @ .600. I think that's a reasonable expectation. If I had too, I'd use Indy heads "Little EZ" but dam, they are pricey with the specialized valve gear.
2 1/8" stepped TTI's.

Just for fun I broke the 800 hp barrier with the Lunati 60332.

I think I'm going to loose my drivers license....

Time for me to hit the hay. I have a conference call @ 7:00am.

ScreenHunter_11 Jan. 17 22.48.jpg

ScreenHunter_09 Jan. 17 22.48.jpg

That first cam you tried looked like the mother of all motor home cams. Lol! It`s not too hard to make some big numbers when you start with a lot of cubic inches. I have a 496 based on a 440 and I love my stroker motor, there`s nothing like the feeling of those G`s planting your *** in the seat when you let `er loose. You will never go back once you`ve been there.

That first cam you tried looked like the mother of all motor home cams. Lol!

My fault, I entered the cam specs as seat-to-seat rather than @ .050. Pretty entertaining results though, lol.

It`s not too hard to make some big numbers when you start with a lot of cubic inches. I have a 496 based on a 440 and I love my stroker motor, there`s nothing like the feeling of those G`s planting your *** in the seat when you let `er loose. You will never go back once you`ve been there.

I'm really looking forward to this build. It'll be my first BB from any make.

That IS funny......hey, well....you've the tow rig's engine done!:cheers:

LMAO! Hell, who needs a diesel? :-D

-
Back