I want to know if 318 exhaust manifolds are the same as 73 duster 340 exhaust manifol

-

mopar951

Reaction score
Hi I want to buy a nice exhaust kit I have a 70 duster with 318 exhaust manifolds but the guy is saying his 340 exhaust kit won't fit what's the difference ?

So far as I know all 340 left side have a "flat face" head pipe connection, and all 318's use a bell connection

Examples of 340: These use a flat gasket

501.jpg

And there are differences in head pipe shape / bend even in the 340s over the years

One example of a 273/ 318 manifold, note the bell casting. The end of the pipe is belled, with a loose steel formed flange on the pipe. Just like the 340s, the 273's and 318s have differences over the years. Go by casting no. and find out what you have

IM001970.jpg

..............As 67 explained, and the flanges are a bigger size on the 340, the 73 340 has a fixed flange on the drivers side, but a bell flange on the pass side.............kim.......

Most local exhaust shops will make you custom head pipes for about $100.
Might be a bit more if you need new ball flanges.

Does anyone know if the 73-74 318 Roadrunners had the 340 manifolds?
I know they had dual exhaust, and were rated 170HP (vs the "normal" 318 w/single exhaust at 150).

This is a two part question. I think these are 318 exhaust manifolds off a 78 volare? Are there supposed to be heat shields?? Next, can I do away with the butterfly valve??
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 490
This is a two part question. I think these are 318 exhaust manifolds off a 78 volare? Are there supposed to be heat shields?? Next, can I do away with the butterfly valve??
Thanks

Looks like a set of 64-66 A body manifolds by the numbers. I take out the butterfly, shaft and all, and tap the manifold for bolts. It will warm up slower but it can never stick shut. Maybe a bit more flow. Pre smog, no shields.

Looks like a set of 64-66 A body manifolds by the numbers. I take out the butterfly, shaft and all, and tap the manifold for bolts. It will warm up slower but it can never stick shut. Maybe a bit more flow. Pre smog, no shields.

That's what I figured. Thanks, I appreciate it.

-
Back