I want to play with this paint. Like, NOW.

-
Very interesting. I bet not cheap either.

Looks damn cool, X2 on the cheap. I remember when the Dupont Chrome Illusion, came out.That wasn't even close to anything I would pay for.

It was like $35 an oz.

I remember.

I think I figured out how they did it, but I'm gonna pick brains at the plastic shop.

There is a place near my work that makes their own glues and resins, urethanes in different durometers for mixing and molding, mold building tools and they do a lot of electroluminescent panel work.

EL panel works the same way, fiber optic with a voltage signal on DC. I think they found something that picks up the light and mixed it with a clear binder.

If I can find a flouro powder that will pick up light from an EL signal transmitter, I may be able to get it easier.

I think I'm still going to contact them and get a price quote and see what kind of training they need to put you through. If I have to fly out there, I don't think I can swing it, but I'd still like to see how affordable this is before searching out an alternative.

I'm thinking electric mod top for the 68 barracuda. I'm not bold enough for that but someone should do it.

I didn't read or look beyond this one word..."Electroluminescent" Reason being, The early Chargers had electroluminescent instrument panels. Those required a transformer that would knock your socks off.
I can just imagine the grandkids and myself out washing the car and getting zapped. Even worse is having the motor cycle between you legs becoming a Taser'/stun gun ?

I could see it being the next trend,like the chrome allusion paint was few years back. We had one guy royally p.o.'d at one of our car shows because he had $20,000 in a chrome allusion paint job and he didn't get best of show. It was a late 80's Chevy pickup, stock unrestored interior, stock unrestored drive train, slightly lowered. I read somewhere that the chrome allusion paint was originally designed to be an accent or trim paint.

Wow. hahaha...

Makes sense, though.

EL panel is as dangerous as a negative grounded chassis or touching two battery terminals with your hand. The load has somewhere else to go, so it doesn't follow you, even though it is A/C, opposed to a D/C terminal battery (as the example given for touching a D/C battery), the panel itself is not energized. They use EL panels for bar tops in clubs that are constantly wet. It's not a big deal.

My guess is that they are using a conductive coating on top of it and either spraying to bare metal, or using a conductive coating beneath it with it's own ground source being the outer layer.

EL panel has two conductive layers sandwiching the center, illuminated pigments.

According to the science page, it takes 0.7mA to power 1 square inch, with A/C.

So you would need a transformer, similar to the EL dash in a Charger, but the dashes in the chargers have a lot of old, solid state technology.

The amps needed to run something seem fairly low and the failure of the circuit simply shuts it off. It looks like it would be perfectly safe to wash, just like an EL panel. It sits under clearcoat, just like any other modern color application. Even a break in the paint would only hurt the product, itself and not the person. The only source of A/C at that point, would be the feed wire, so I suppose, just like a live DC wire, you wouldn't want to get stupid with it. Just wire it in a place that was away from contact. If you were really concerned, you could simply not energize it while cleaning it. I don't think it's any more of a threat than hosing an engine down that is running, even if it was on while you washed it.

They also state that it is multiple coatings, so it works just like an EL panel.

So around 2.5 amps to power the average size top. Assume around a 40% loss factor in converting dc to ac and now you could be looking at a 3/3.5 amp draw from the battery. so leaving it on without charging for any prolonged period wouldn't work, so just add another battery and go for it. Sure would be an attention getter.

Just wait til those import/tuner crowd gets their hands on it.

-
Back