Ice Driving! Which engine layout is best?

which is better for bad winter driving?

• Front wheel drive

Votes: 78 67.8%
  • Rear wheel drive

Votes: 37 32.2%

• Total voters
-
problem with 4x4 is people dont use their head. They get to confident about having 4wd and throw caution to the wind. I cant tell you how many times i have watched a 4x4 pass me on the istate in snow and ice and i catch up to them 10 miles up the road in a ditch. my 2 Cents.
I agree. Was leaving New Hampshire for FLA in a bad snow storm and topped out at 45 on the interstate in my Plymouth Voyager. No sooner that getting on the road and a "hot" 4wd jeep was dancing behind me wanting to pass (4 lanes and he wanted me to pull over?). In about a mile he saw his chance to pass. Next thing I see is he is doing 360 behind me all over the road and finally into the ditch.

Last winter I had the choice of driving a rental Hyundai compact, and my '70 318 Duster. With FWD there's a little more traction for taking off from the weight over the front, but when going down the road I felt more in control with RWD in the Duster. Even if the rear wheels came loose I could still steer the car with the front wheels and use the throttle to control the skid. NOT possible with FWD, you lose traction and you're done for. It's funny how non-car people react when talking about driving a RWD car, "Isn't that thing really bad in the snow? FWD is supposed to be a lot better..." Also living in Colorado with all the steep grades FWD is kind of a pain because the weight shifts towards the back going up hills and you lose traction.

-
Back