I'd like to live in their world

-

HawaiiDuster

Reaction score
I don't usually buy Popular Hot Rodding, but the cover had a picture of a nice Duster on it. One of the captions says "Kenny Wayne Shepherd and his Budget 70 Duster that anyone can build". If "anyone" could build one like that, I'm really no one. It'd be hard enough to get solid Duster but the list of parts that went into it is pretty crazy. Oh yeah did I mention Year One did the build. I guess they consider Year One just "anyone". Its a really impressive car and all, but I just hate when they show a high dollar, pro built, celebrity owned ride and say that its a car that "anyone can build". Boy does it sound like I'm venting:toothy10: I should have just left the magazine on the rack.

I hear you. I'm doing the body work on MY duster after I get off work in the mornings and driving it back to work that night looking like an appaloosa.
It is sitting in the parking lot right now with blue unsanded bondo stuck over my welds on the new quarter.

These people don't even live on my planet.:angry7:

I saw that too, Budget 18" rims, $4000 Overdirve trans and $6000 crate motor.

I hear you, I really don't like reading magazine articles like that. I could care less how someone with a lot more money than me pays someone else to build anything they want.

I'm doing the body work on MY duster after I get off work in the mornings and driving it back to work that night looking like an appaloosa.
These people don't even live on my planet.:angry7:

ROTFLMAO! Now that's funny, but only because that's what my Duster looks like. Consider yourself lucky, mine isn't even driveable yet and the engine is a mouse house.

Yeah, I guess anyone "can" build one if they had the money. :angry7:

Duster 1.JPG

yeah, my budget consists of eating mac-n-cheese and hot dogs 8 days a week to afford the stuff in the "want" list! I may have to start pmimpin myself out for the "need" list. :lol:

Kenny Wayne is a car guy though - I'm jealous as well but if I could play guitar like Kenny Wayne, I'd be doing the same if I made the money. I'd never want to exclude him from a group of "car guys". Hard to believe in our culture you can be despised if you've "made it big". True some are undeserving of their fame and riches - but again, I spoke with Kenny Wayne for some time at a stop on the '06 Power Tour, hardly anyone recognized him, I just saw his "Extreme Lee" Charger and spotted him with his girlfriend, I doubt he does much wrench turning or sanding but he'd be in the hobby either way. I know other guys with big money (and sweet rides) in my area and all you hear is how loaded they are, as if that makes them different than us paycheck to paycheck dudes. When I get rich and famous, :bs: will I lose all my car buddies 'cause I can stroke checks for my cars ? Hope not.

Hey, more power to this guy! I don't hate him because he can write a check. Not all my car buddies are poor either.
Budget 70 Duster that anyone can build
That's the part I don't get. What are they thinking?

I don't care if someone makes more money than I do, but I do care if a magazine title misleads. Not cool.

All true.

Some people aren't mechanically inclined and can't.
Some people's hands are too "valuable".
Consider why surgens rairly handle chain saws and hammers.

But Jeff Beck is a car guy that builds his own rods although I'm sure he could stroke a check too. People that are very talanted in some areas usually have other talents as well. I'm not knockin' Kenny, I think he's great and if he can stroke a check, why not?

BTW, I work damn hard for my money and I make a decent wage but I also sacrifice to build my cars. I certainly can't hang with Jeff Beck or KWS but my stuff is paid for.

Well - since you mentioned another guitarist - Kenny Wayne can't touch Beckola as far as I'm concerned but yeah, the thought of Beck with power tools in his hands :rolleyes:!

Jeff is a legend, Kenny is an up and comer (even if it's been a long time coming). I don't know that he'll ever reach Jeff's status but he has a place in the music world. I like blues and KWS plays them well.

If you remember KWS never used to sing, but has recently started to. He's committed to his craft and that alone is reason enough to appreciate what he does.

Now if you want to talk crazy money for a young artist, Brittany Spears is your girl to the tune of $700,000 every month.

fixing up old hot rods used to be a normal mans thing which you could do alot yourself and on a small budget, but thanks to the famous whoop d freggin do barrett jackson and other car auctions the hot rod car, parts car parts, performance goodies, and average 1000- 3000 dollars for a great lookin car is now down the drain. the higher end class of rich people and collectors I think just like to see who will pay the most money for a car, usually 20 times what it is worth. which comes all the way down the ladder to the average joe who works from payday till payday to make a livin, and the hobby we average car enthusiests put blood sweet and tears into and love is slowly pricing itself out of our reach. my opinion though, if we had only known 10 years ago when you could buy any a body for 1000 bucks and it was a good one, we could all be rich now. but $$ is what makes the world go round, like gas the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. hope i didn't offend anyone:-D

I have to agree that the Duster is far far from Budget.

Well - since you mentioned another guitarist - Kenny Wayne can't touch Beckola as far as I'm concerned but yeah, the thought of Beck with power tools in his hands :rolleyes:!

Ahhh,I gotta say thats apples and oranges,Beck is a very technical-egcentric(sp?) player and Kennys a good ole blues boy,Ive seen them both live and they were both awesome.One thing cool about Kenny is his last tour through here he brought a bunch of old school real blues men and let them stand up front and take the stage,thats respect and class-sorry,back to subject lol.

I know of Abodies being built with much more expensive stuff than this car.........just cant build it as fast as him. I like that the car is on a cover of a "non-mopar" magazine. However the title doesn't fit everyone's idea of "budget"

A good friend of mine has done lots of sheet metal work for Billy Gibbons... but Billy does turn a wrench or two.

Kenny Wayne Sheppard is a good friend of Chip Foose, so you can kind of figure how his cars get done.

I have nothing against the guy cause if I had the money I'd job alot of things out. I would definately do most of the final assembly. My whole gripe was with the way the magazine put it. I guess they feel the majority of their readerships income is in the 7 digits:thebirdm: I probably won't be buying their mag for any "budget" build tips:bootysha:

He (shephard) won't have half the pride I'll be feeling when my car is done. 3 years in the making this June. Hard earned too. Lots of short sighted people at hod rod mag that don't realize that their reader market base is made up of guys like us. Nice car though. Will probably get to see it at the Spring Fling this year.

He (shephard) won't have half the pride I'll be feeling when my car is done. 3 years in the making this June. Hard earned too. Lots of short sighted people at hod rod mag that don't realize that their reader market base is made up of guys like us. Nice car though. Will probably get to see it at the Spring Fling this year.

I agree. I read the artical about him working on his engine, but didnt think what he did was much to write home about. That said at least he was getting his hands dirty (although after the pic was taken he may have handed the tool back to the person doing all the real work). As far as a "buget" goes, these magazines are picky about what cars get between the pages. I guess Kenny and the magazine felt like the car didnt cost much compared to "viper power cudas".
I think doing alot of my oun work is very rewarding also.

-
Back