ID THIS BLOCK

-

'64 Dart

Reaction score
Good Day All
Acquired an engine that was alleged to be of 1966 vintage. The motor had all the machine work done, just never assembled. All the new parts were there and the price was reasonable $300.00 it also included a transmission.
I was skeptical when I saw it but purchased it anyway.
So far I have determined that the head (4104363) dates 81-87. The crank (4095246) dates to 81-87 The block, however, is a mystery. Here are some pics:
143.jpg
144.jpg
147.jpg
145.jpg
148.jpg
More questions to follow once I figure this out.
Thanks to all who respond
'64 Dart

That is a late cast crank engine, it is definitely NOT a '60's unit of any vintage.

Good Day All
Acquired an engine that was alleged to be of 1966 vintage. The motor had all the machine work done, just never assembled. All the new parts were there and the price was reasonable $300.00 it also included a transmission.
I was skeptical when I saw it but purchased it anyway.
So far I have determined that the head (4104363) dates 81-87. The crank (4095246) dates to 81-87 The block, however, is a mystery. Here are some pics:View attachment 1716314656View attachment 1716314657View attachment 1716314659View attachment 1716314658View attachment 1716314661 More questions to follow once I figure this out.
Thanks to all who respond
'64 Dart
The ID Stamping would seem to indicate a passenger car unit, '79 built March 9th. The pic You re-posted is the last of the VIN# of the vehicle it came out of....still kinda hard to see, at least on My phone, but You'd have to search for that VIN thru Chrysler Historical or some appropriate DMV records if possible.

Thank you both for the responses.
Not so much interested in what it came out of as the year of manufacture.
The pic is hard to see because it was double stamped. As a '79 year, if I understand correctly, the vibration damper is different (cast crank vs forged). Other than that most everything else in interchangeable.
The motor is a replacement for a '67 Dart.
The top of the deck is stamped .030 and the pistons are .030 oversize. is that a manufacturing stamp or did the machine shop do that.
To finish the story of the acquisition, the machine work was performed in 2016 but the owner died before finishing the project. I bought it from a relative who was willed the motor/parts. Unfortunately, no paperwork is present to verify what was done.
My plans are to take it to my machinist have the work verified.
Is there any advantage/disadvantage using the newer head as opposed to the '67 casting? I kinda like the 'drool tubes' as they are unique to the slant six, but if the newer head is ready to go with hardened seats, I would be foolish not to use it.
Also, as this is a cast crank with a smaller bearing surface, should I look for fully grooved bearings for better oiling?
For my own education, how did you decipher the build (cast) date?

Thanks for your time
'64 Dart

If the engine/crank is a cast crank, and you are going to use it with a 67 auto transmission you will need an adapter bushing for the end of the crank.

According to your information, you have a hydraulic lifter cylinder head. I would not use that, as the slant 6 was not a very good hydraulic lifter engine, IMO.

According to your information, you have a hydraulic lifter cylinder head. I would not use that, as the slant 6 was not a very good hydraulic lifter engine, IMO.
The head should not make any difference. The difference is in the valve train ( cam, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, rocker shaft). You can run either head with either valve train. But you must change the "complete" valve train. Also, you must run the correct valve cover for the head used.

The head should not make any difference. The difference is in the valve train ( cam, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, rocker shaft). You can run either head with either valve train. But you must change the "complete" valve train. Also, you must run the correct valve cover for the head used.
That's true. He made no mention of whether he got the tin. ......and those valve covers are gettin tough to find now. I'm still lookin for a solid lifter cast cran rebuildable core, myself. They just ain't out there.

That's true. He made no mention of whether he got the tin. ......and those valve covers are gettin tough to find now. I'm still lookin for a solid lifter cast cran rebuildable core, myself. They just ain't out there.
I know where there's a chrome one........

Thank you both for the responses.
Not so much interested in what it came out of as the year of manufacture.
The pic is hard to see because it was double stamped. As a '79 year, if I understand correctly, the vibration damper is different (cast crank vs forged). Other than that most everything else in interchangeable.
The motor is a replacement for a '67 Dart.
The top of the deck is stamped .030 and the pistons are .030 oversize. is that a manufacturing stamp or did the machine shop do that.
To finish the story of the acquisition, the machine work was performed in 2016 but the owner died before finishing the project. I bought it from a relative who was willed the motor/parts. Unfortunately, no paperwork is present to verify what was done.
My plans are to take it to my machinist have the work verified.
Is there any advantage/disadvantage using the newer head as opposed to the '67 casting? I kinda like the 'drool tubes' as they are unique to the slant six, but if the newer head is ready to go with hardened seats, I would be foolish not to use it.
Also, as this is a cast crank with a smaller bearing surface, should I look for fully grooved bearings for better oiling?
For my own education, how did you decipher the build (cast) date?

Thanks for your time
'64 Dart
Whether it's a '79 or '89, any Slanty built '68 & up has the larger converter nose pocket, contact Member @slant six for the reducing ring to install in the crank. As far as fully grooved mains, unless it's going to be really hot, totally unnecessary.
Deciphering is sprinkled sporadically all through this site & this forum in particular, but slantsix.org, or aquire Doug Dutra's SA book on the Slant Six has the info. There was a great Valiant/Barracuda site that had lots of info, but I haven't tried looking them up in a while, I have printed out things from there a while ago....sometime around 2016 or so.

Good Morning
Killer6 thanks for the info on the torque convertor. Hadn't gave that a thought. I do plan on keeping the valve train solid lifter. No cam/lifters came with the motor, only pushrods that I haven't examined yet.
Forgive my ignorance, on the deck where the displacement is stamped it followed by the letter 'R'. If it was a hydraulic lifter motor wouldn't it be stamped 'E'? There is an 'E' stamped further down but it is by itself.
Thanks Again for the input.
'64 Dart

The 'R' is Std. Passenger Car unit, 'Regular', which earlier in the series meant Regular Fuel. The 'E' stamped at the end ID's the block as a cast-crank unit, no matter the casting#.... very important when it is the 1st run at the switchover period in '76.
The cast block, rods, crank, & bearings are all different from forged crank units. The dampeners were changed, but I don't think for being 'cast', since all inline 6's are inherently balanced by design.
The hydraulics can be swapped out, tappets,pushrods,rockers, & cam. I'm not 100%, but I believe Shane...Member @dart19666 tight-lashed solids on a hydraulic cam, You could contact Oregon Cam Grinders & have a set of solids resurfaced to use on the Hyd. cam.
Later blocks all using hydraulic tappets/system have block casting#'s of either '330' or '530'.

Forgive my ignorance, on the deck where the displacement is stamped it followed by the letter 'R'. If it was a hydraulic lifter motor wouldn't it be stamped 'E'?

Both stampings are present: 9225R 3 9 E

9 = 1979 model year
225 = 225 engine
R = Regular gasoline fuel
3 9 = Assembled on 9 March 1979
E = Cast crankshaft

144.jpg

For many years I collected walls and shelves and crates full of literature—some of it scarcely ever seen outside of Chrysler Corp. Had to get rid of almost all of it when I moved in '19. I put up ads like this one, with pics showing a slim fraction of the collection. Got mostly cricket noises.

So I had to dispose of the collection as best I could. I have some scanned FSMs, FPCs, and TSBs. If I'd had a year and/or cubic money, I could've scanned it all (or had it scanned), but I didn't.

-
Back