ideas for my 360

-

ef8340

Reaction score
this week i'll be getting my 360 for my dart the guy that has it knows hardly anything about it except that it was rebuilt 300 miles ago and it was bored 0.30 over . i've been reading in other posts on 360 builds on different pistons KB's etc,etc is there a way to find out what kind of pistons i have in my motor by looking at them from the underneath side cause this motor is in a ramcharger i'll have to change the pan i am also wanting to put a 284 MP cam in it aswell i will also be running my M1 intake and eldebrock thunder series 650 carb along with my 340 hp manifolds i plan on getting a B&M flex plate to hook it up to my 904 im not exactly sure on my torque converter size but im planning on changing that out aswell i have 3:23's in my 8 3/4 for now maybe later 3:55's more and more i think about it i'll probillay rip off the heads just to see and check for clearance issues when i do change the cam thoughts and suggestions needed
thanks
Terry

Not sure of any way to ID pistons from below, you'll have to pull the heads AFAIK, hopefully there will be an ID on the pistons like this
P1010105.jpg

At least if you pull the heads you can measure deck height and know for real what your compression/quench dimension is, as well as hopefully ID the pistons

With the rest of the info you provide it could stand to reason that a stall speed in the 2000-2500 RPM range could benefit you BUT that depends on your intent for the car and how mild mannered you want it to be on the street, especially with the MPP cam you mention

Good luck

Some might advise you to get it in there and see how it does before changing things

It sounds like you want this to be a pretty high horsepower engine. If that's the case, pull the heads and find out for sure what you've really got before you get too crazy investing in high power parts. As babyblue said, you won't get the results you want out of that cam if this was a bone stock 8:1 compression ratio rebuild.

If you get a chance, do a full compression check on it too before its pulled out or torn down. The dynamic compression will tell you a lot about the build, and if the engine really is what its supposed to be.

I've posted this link here several times before, but I still find it useful. Its a list of 9 different 360 builds with dyno numbers, with results ranging from 300 hp all the way up to 495 hp. While nothing is in stone, it can help you get a better idea of what to expect given certain elements of a build.

http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html

thanks for the info guy i guess im gonna bite the bullet and pull the heads aswell i wish i could do a compression test but the carb is off of it along as the wiring harness from what i know the guy who has it is a ford/chevy 4x4 guy and told me he got it in a trade seems the previous owner had the 360 rebuilt 0.30 etc.... and decided to take his buddy jack daniels with him mountain climbing and rolled it the only thing left is the drivetrain from what i can tell the motor looks fresh when i pick it up this weekend im gonna ask for the old owners number so i can talk to him about it but im still gonna tear into it , now if it does have lower compression like 8 to 1 and only 300 miles since it was rebuilt can i just swap the pistons out to raise the comp and get the 284 MPP cam? as for how it will be driven ive been using it as my daily driver average miles per day 45 to 50 im willing to sacrifice gas milage im thinking once this has been done though i'll be finding me a beater to put around in,. and the reason why im wanting to run this cam is for HP but also for a lumpity,lump sound its been awhile since i've had one
thanks again
Terry

KB pistons can be I.D. when the oil pan is pulled. Look up the piston skirt, it's on there. Not easy to see though.

-
Back